The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One USB to rule them all  (Read 3347 times)
N1KTJ

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:08:08 AM »

I am thinking of getting a powered USB hub that I can connect to my computer over the maximum distance allowed for USB.  The powered USB hub would connect to a Signalink and a TNC-X and a CAT control for my radios.  Will need to look at SIGNALINK and consider its limits for distance and USB HUB use.

What issues can I have?  Do I want at least USB 2.0?  Or will I be better served by going with USB 3.0 and any suggestions for an adapter? 

for low speed USB devices the limit is 9 feet while high speed its 15 feet.  That would cover the run from the USB hub back to the computer I suppose.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »

If you want any kind of real speed then USB3 is needed.  For a signalink and TNC-X a USB 2 connection is just fine, they both require very little speed and BW.

If your worried about distance just get USB Active repeater cables or booster boxes.

Here is one such item

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Speed-Extension-U026-20M/dp/B006KSLF6E/

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:33:47 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:03:18 PM »

You need to understand that only ONE device can talk at a time on a USB port/hub. It is time sharing. Timing critical device should be on a separate port from PC. Typically a PC or laptop with have a few USB hubs internally meaning that not all port are hooked to same root hub and as  long as devices are on different root hubs they can operate at same time. Devices like mice, keyboards, scanners and even printers are not timing critical and can share a hub without issues

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »

Interesting.. I'd be curious to know which ham radio transceiver uses USB 3.0 or can benefit from the use thereof.

I have:

1 USB SoundBlaster Audigy External sound card (FT-857D digi mode audio)
1 Tripplite 4 port Serial to USB hub (has FT-847, FT-857D, PCR-1000 and TS-140S connected)
1 Griffin USB Audio device (audio from PCR-1000 and FT-857D IF converter output)
1 Tripplite USB to Serial device (PCR-100)
1 Signalink USB (TS-140S I/O)

None seem to have issues communicating concurrently.

None are USB 3.0

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »

Interesting.. I'd be curious to know which ham radio transceiver uses USB 3.0 or can benefit from the use thereof.

I have:

1 Tripplite 4 port Serial to USB hub (has FT-847, FT-857D, PCR-1000 and TS-140S connected)
1 Griffin USB Audio device (audio from PCR-1000 and FT-857D IF converter output)

None are USB 3.0

None of them talk concurrently because USB does not support it. They are time sharing based on demand/needs. The devices listed are not very USB intensive and should get along okay.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »

I have:

None are USB 3.0

"Typically a PC or laptop with have a few USB hubs internally meaning that not all port are hooked to same root hub and as long as devices are on different root hubs they can operate at same time."

None of them talk concurrently because USB does not support it. They are time sharing based on demand/needs. The devices listed are not very USB intensive and should get along okay.

So, in the context of a typical ham radio shack computer setup, and considering that most PC's have multiple root hubs in use (I count 7 on my shack PC at present), then the act of "communication" between USB devices and the PC, or between USB devices on different hubs, can indeed occur "concurrently", for all intents and purposes.

"communicating", "talk", "operate". Three words. Different meanings in context.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: