The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RM Italy FCC Approved  (Read 24467 times)
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »

I will see if I can locate it , it was years ago and I think is was from the CB days when el'cheapo Dosy meters were the big thing in the truck stops and by flat topping the AM (kinda square) signal , it produced spikes which the Dosy meters loved. Heck you could show 100 watts out of a 5 watt radio and they made a killing on it. They would put a 9 volt battery on a foot pedal and after a quick key , hit it , the meter would peg..

I am SURE the power meters now are not the same , it was just this topic was getting kinda fun...

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2016, 03:10:24 PM »

Bill,

Love the picture of your Shack Work Table. Very Organized. Worked for the Skunk Works back in 1978 as a very green Engineer.

Mike
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »

Been with Lockheed 33 years and counting.. 2 more to go!!!
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »

Too many hams place too much faith in "Meters". They spend much of their on air time watching the meters "swang". It's a carry-over from CB.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »

So with out some visible display how do you monitor plate voltage/current and grid current. Or is the preferred method of all knobs to the right?
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 01:20:33 AM »

Agreed, meters do have a place in the ham shack. Years ago I was on air and suddenly the load on the supply jumped from 20A to 35A and the RF out dropped to 40W. It was of course a shorted transistor in the final but without metering I might not have known it. Also, how many of us monitor SWR just in case something drops off.

Peter DL8OV
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »

So with out some visible display how do you monitor plate voltage/current and grid current. Or is the preferred method of all knobs to the right?

Meters have their place for steady state readings.. I measure my grid current and plate current when tuning up.  Plate voltage is plate voltage.  The dynamic regulation pretty shows between key up and key down conditions.

Adjust the drive and loading as needed. 

Dynamically, I trust my monitor scope to show flat-topping.  Or, install a grid protection circuit if you need it.

Since I don't have ALC problems, nor need it, I don't worry about exceeding grid current or plate current when actually making contacts. 
KS4TL

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »

Haven't seen this in the thread so far - actual ARRL IMD measurements from the review

(3rd/5th/7th/9th)

200 W setting (low): -40/-40/-50/-63
HI setting: -29/-40/-47/-55

Jeff N3JS
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »

Right on. Amps do not blow out their finals - their operators do.

I think K6AER means that the DC line is fused.

I've run mine into some bad SWRs and I can hear the switching supply fan running up so I back off.

Steve

1st off if you have more than One SWR there is a problem.2nd where did you purchase an SWR's meter? I have a lot of SWR meters but I have never seen a single SWR's meter even in a picture? It's a Standing Wave Ratio & NOT a Standing Wave Ratios just FYI.

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: