The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LINKSYS ROUTER IN MOTOR HOME  (Read 3246 times)
KD4YSH

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »

How should I configure a Linksys router to use in my motor home as I travel I have a nice outside wifi antenna to access internet as I travel down interstate? Will the router amplify the signal and do I just unhook one small rubber duck antenna and hook other end to outside wifi antenna? Will the rubber duck antenna inside the motor home rebroadcast the signal so I can use laptop anywhere in the motor home? Should I use Tomato or dd-wart...any help much appreciated

thank you
73's
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 04:10:00 AM »

Waste of time it will never work. While you could set it up as a bridge to a WiFi access point when stationary, you are not going to be able to do it driving down road. WiFi is too short of range and by time you even tried to handshake with access point you would be out of range of it as soon as handshake was done. WiFi was never designed as a mobile access protocol.(that was WiMax that never caught on) Only way you will do this is with cellular Internet access.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:19:04 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:37:01 AM »

How should I configure a Linksys router to use in my motor home as I travel I have a nice outside wifi antenna to access internet as I travel down interstate? Will the router amplify the signal and do I just unhook one small rubber duck antenna and hook other end to outside wifi antenna? Will the rubber duck antenna inside the motor home rebroadcast the signal so I can use laptop anywhere in the motor home? Should I use Tomato or dd-wart...any help much appreciated

You are not going to be able to connect to WiFi routers along the Interstate as you drive unless you find some that are unlocked (not many of those around any more); and even if you do, you won't be connected for long unless you pull over and stop. The range of most WiFi enabled routers is pretty short unless they are connected to high-gain outside antennas.

What you will have to do is buy a cell-phone hotspot and a bandwidth plan that fits your lifestyle. You can buy these plans (and the hotspot devices) from Verizon , AT&T, Sprint but they do not come cheap and if you exceed the cap to the bandwidth you've paid for, they'll either stop you or charge you. You can turn your smartphone into a hotspot, too. Price depends upon carrier and how much data you want to use.

There are some satellite Internet providers out there but they have both advantages and disadvantages. The major disadvantage is latency (delays caused by the way the system works and the hardware it uses) that is probably going to make Internet games unusable.

One of the best places to find information on RV Internet access is the Escapees RV Club and their forum. The club, all by itself, is a great asset to any RVer and especially to full-time RVers. They either own or have access to RV parks that are, in general, nicer and cheaper than commercial RV parks. The concept is difficult to describe but we have been pretty happy with our membership and we are not, in general, big "joiners".

Their forum deals with all sorts of RV issues and one of the big issues is Internet. You can read all their posts but you have to join the forum to post (but you don't have to be an SKP member).

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=33 will take you right to the Internet forum. From there you can mooch around.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: