The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Time at Dayton  (Read 27183 times)
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »

Also....Bring your own bed sheets to protect against bed bugs.  Watch the motorized wheel chair people who will slice your Achilles tendon or knock you down to get ahead of you. Watch the pickpockets who are also hams. Bring your own food supplies; the food there is crap. Don't go at all...you're not missing anything.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »

Make sure you take a leak right before heading to the Hamfest. The Porta-Johns are past the fence, so if you get there early before they open up. You have a long wait before using the bathroom.

If you go up for one day, park across the lot from the Hamfest. Just be aware that the lot might be muddy. I still prefer this than having to wait for shuttle buses.

Keep on eye on the weather, I went there when it has been hot as hell and another time it hailed and sleeted. Bring an umbrella and for either shade or hail.

Bring at least two small collapsible hand trucks, several bungee cords, garbage bags, two collapsible crates. It all takes up very little space and probably would all fit rather nicely in a backpack. Or carry it all in one hand. But if you open it all up...you can carry a lot around with this. You can make two hand carts out of these. The garbage bags keep the stuff dry in case it rains. Bring extra shopping bags.

Go at least with another person so you can use the bathrooms and don't have to worry about someone walking off with your stuff.

Bring a cooler with bottled water, put some pretzels in lunch bags for a quick snack on the go..

Comfortable shoes.

Bring a lot of small $1 and $5 bills for those small items. And bring several of your own shopping bags, don't rely on small vendors having bags all the time.

Bring a voltmeter to test out used batteries and solar panels. Even a $4 Harbor Freight VM is better than none.

Cable ties to bundle up loose coax and also tie it to your collapsible hand truck/makeshift cart.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »

I would recommend purchasing a bus ticket, at least if you plan on parking at the mall and walking to HARA Arena.  I tried just walking one day a few years ago.  Big mistake.  By the time I got back home later that evening, my feet and legs were killing me.  I am a 41 year-old man, and not overweight.  I just wasn't used to doing that much walking in the course of a day. 

Expect large crowds, at least in the main hall of HARA, especially on Friday.  Patience and courtesy go a long way here, something a lot of hams have yet to figure out.

If you plan on attending forums, plan to arrive early if you want a good seat, especially for the more popular forums, like the FCC forum.

If you are traveling through Cincinnati, the traffic sucks, especially during the rush hour.  A lot of road construction projects don't help.

I always bring a small cloth bag or satchel.  Some of the vendors will have bags, but it's not a bad idea to bring your own.

As others have mentioned, cash is king.  Plenty of extra cold hard cash for the vendors and private sellers who don't except credit cards. 

Above all, have fun!  This is Dayton.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 07:36:11 AM »

Take a day and go to the air force museum.  The airplane that ended ww2 is there, as are hundreds more.  Free and is around 3 days of content.
G6GIY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »

Another vote for the Air Force Museum. It is the worlds best and is free to enter . The parking lot is bristling with antennas on the day before Hamvention. 
   I think there is some work in progress this year as they have built an extra hangar for the B70 and presidential planes.
WA9RHD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 08:15:24 PM »

Friday is the day to hit what interests you the most as the crowds are thinner as
some of the people attending the show actually work.

This year I am interested in the new Icom 7300 and will hopefully use some time on Friday to see if before the crowds arrive!

I also like to first plan for the seminars and educational opportunities as those time slots are fixed - the rest you can come back to

This is probably the best ham fest in the world so enjoy it, but it is more than a little overwhelming the first time!

As others have mentioned the facilities are terrible and the other problem is that none of the equipment inside the arena is hooked up to antennas -- so good luck testing a radio under real conditions -- The German transceiver for $17K - no antenna -- what a thrill!

N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 07:36:13 PM »

According to today's Dayton Daily News, Hara Arena is delinquent on $232,000 in taxes owed to Montgomery County, Ohio.

Neil N3DF
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: