The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Used Ham Radio Books  (Read 3459 times)
WN4V

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »

Just wondering....I have been able to build up a fairly comprehensive ham radio library by purchasing used books through Amazon.com vendors. I just found and purchased the "Radio Handbook" 22nd edition, by William Orr, W6SAI for $2.93 + $3.99 shipping. ($6.92). Condition:  Excellent. Goodwill Stores are another source.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »

You can find them pretty cheap at hamfest swapmeets too.

Thank you for being someone interested in actually owning a BOOK these days! It seems rare!
They can be invaluable as a reference.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:57:54 AM »

I have 23 feet of shelving full of radio, electrical and electronics books: one of them goes back to 1890, and a set that were sold as magazines in 1924 to make a 3 volume wireless encyclopaedia is valued at over $2k./ Even they get referred to on occasion. That Radio Handbook was a good buy - mine cost the equivalent of $20.

Not everything is on the web!
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:05:07 AM »

I remember buying an earlier edition, which I still have, in Dillons Bookshop around 1968 or 1969, when I was supposed to be looking for something completely different. White cover with green print I think. Refreshing compared to the stiff ARRL and RSGB handbooks of the time. Recommend his All About Cubical Quads the red 1970 edition is a collector's item.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »

Every year I get the previous year's edition of the ARRL Handbook.... for FREE! Because it is size, my local library only has room to keep the current year's edition on the shelf. The assistant branch manage always looks out for the new arrival and holds the old one for me. Oh and BTW, I also happen to be married to the assistant branch manager of the library!

You don't have to be married to a librarian to get free (or almost free) books. Libraries are constantly "weeding" their collection and in many cases, will just toss old volumes in the recycling bin.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »

Besides 'All about Cubical Quad Antennas' By W6SAI and W2LX, I would recommend 'The Amateur Radio Vertical Antenna Handbook'  by Capt. Paul H. Lee. USN(ret) N6PL, CQ Publishing 1984, Library of Congress 74-83411 and the Beam Antenna Handbook  by Orr, W6SAI and Cowan W2LX. ISBN 0-933616-040-X.

Also 'HF Antennas for all locations' by Moxon, G6XN, published by RSGB is a bit of a 'must'. If you can't get a copy, I somehow have ended up with 3 copies and I could be persuaded ('bribed' seems a crude word for it!) to part with two of them.....

The antenna book I seem to have lost, much to my annoyance, is the 1936 ARRL Antenna Handbook, which tells you how to make coax with half inch copper water pipe, isolantite beads, 14 gauge wire and a home made crimping tool........
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 06:12:56 PM »

Every year I get the previous year's edition of the ARRL Handbook.... for FREE! Because it is size, my local library only has room to keep the current year's edition on the shelf. The assistant branch manage always looks out for the new arrival and holds the old one for me. Oh and BTW, I also happen to be married to the assistant branch manager of the library!

You don't have to be married to a librarian to get free (or almost free) books. Libraries are constantly "weeding" their collection and in many cases, will just toss old volumes in the recycling bin.

Here in Seattle they have a tremendously HUGE book sale at least once a year.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »

Besides 'All about Cubical Quad Antennas' By W6SAI and W2LX, I would recommend 'The Amateur Radio Vertical Antenna Handbook'  by Capt. Paul H. Lee. USN(ret) N6PL, CQ Publishing 1984, Library of Congress 74-83411 and the Beam Antenna Handbook  by Orr, W6SAI and Cowan W2LX. ISBN 0-933616-040-X.

Also 'HF Antennas for all locations' by Moxon, G6XN, published by RSGB is a bit of a 'must'. If you can't get a copy, I somehow have ended up with 3 copies and I could be persuaded ('bribed' seems a crude word for it!) to part with two of them.....

The antenna book I seem to have lost, much to my annoyance, is the 1936 ARRL Antenna Handbook, which tells you how to make coax with half inch copper water pipe, isolantite beads, 14 gauge wire and a home made crimping tool........

Its interesting how so much of Moxon's book now appears in the brand new technology must have category in advertisers blurb.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 06:57:26 AM »

Our local library has a used book sale several times a year.  We are also lucky to have a used book store in town.  Both have been a good inexpensive source of all types of technical literature.   btw, still have my 18th edition of Radio Handbook by Orr... a little beat up from being in my seabag while in the Navy. 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »

Moxon's book is a classic.  Love some of those old books, Radio Handbook is a must.  Collecting all of them gets cluttery very quickly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: