The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 60 METERS  (Read 2522 times)
KY6M

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »

I haven't explored 60 meters much until now. I now have a rig that can work that band so I drop by last night and listen in on a CW QSO. Looks like fun! I plan on trimming an inverted V wire for the band. Reading various articles it almost sounds like amateurs are a little leary about using the band. I figure if they give us the band and we follow the rules, let it rip!  Cheesy
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »

Careful, 60-meters is the only ham band that's "channelized" with usage restricted to five specific frequencies and maximum effective radiated power (ERP) of 100 watts PEP. And, only one signal at a time is permitted on any channel.

See: http://www.arrl.org/60-meter-faq
KY6M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »

Careful, 60-meters is the only ham band that's "channelized" with usage restricted to five specific frequencies and maximum effective radiated power (ERP) of 100 watts PEP. And, only one signal at a time is permitted on any channel.

Which I plan on programming the channels in my rig.  Yes, SSB is 1.5 KC off of center USB - not wider than 2.8kc, 2.4kc recommended, CW in the middle and Digital in the middle of set frequency. The only digital modes recommended is PSK31 and Pactor III. (won't have to worry about using Pactor )

Now lets  use it! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:32:05 PM by KA6MLE » Logged
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:41:46 PM »

The only digital modes recommended is PSK31 and Pactor III. (won't have to worry about using Pactor )

Now lets  use it! Cheesy

"recommended" ?? dunno about that, or who is doing the "recommending", but, the FCC clearly allows other digital modes.

any mode with an emission designator of 2K80J2D is allowed.
KY6M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:19:42 PM »

2K80J2D =  HF PACTOR-III
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:24:27 AM »

2K80J2D includes any digital mode with a bandwidth of 2.8 kHz or less whose technical characteristics have been documented publicly, per Part 97.309(4) of the FCC Rules.

Such modes would include PACTOR I, II or III, 300-baud packet, MFSK, MT63, Contestia, Olivia, DominoEX
KY6M

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »

2K80J2D includes any digital mode with a bandwidth of 2.8 kHz or less whose technical characteristics have been documented publicly, per Part 97.309(4) of the FCC Rules.

Such modes would include PACTOR I, II or III, 300-baud packet, MFSK, MT63, Contestia, Olivia, DominoEX

I found that page now from the ARRL. Well that's good.

Lot's of activity last night, at least on SSB
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 07:49:05 AM »

There have been over 120 countries on 60-meters and nighttime propagation is worldwide. Regs differ. Not all countries require channelized operation. A few countries allow KW power levels. League pronouncements regarding 60 have often been in error.

"And, only one signal at a time is permitted on any channel."

All US stations must be center channel if that's what you mean. Certainly you don't have to QRT because a ham on the other side of the world fires up. There's no legal prohibition (at least the last I looked at the rules) against multiple Qs coexisting on a channel. Hear it pretty often with voice and digital or CW on the same frequency. A good notch will eliminate CW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: