The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 501 (c-3) RADIO CLUB  (Read 20379 times)
KD4YSH

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:35:02 AM »

Clubs Around The World
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:36:23 AM by KD4YSH » Logged
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:58:47 AM »

And not only that, you can be a member!   Grin
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:53:32 AM »

I am a founding member and secretary of a 501(c)3 charitable foundation and I am sitting here trying to figure out what advantage there is to me to belong to your 501(c)3 radio club?

Gotta ask....

Are you a for-real 501(c)3 as authorized by the IRS or are you a not-for-profit as designated by your state's department of revenue?
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 05:59:44 AM »

"Description

Founded in 1962, REACT International is a 501C3 Non-Profit Public Service Organization that has been assisting the public for 50 years."

from http://reactintl.org/mission.html
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 06:07:04 PM »

I am a founding member and secretary of a 501(c)3 charitable foundation and I am sitting here trying to figure out what advantage there is to me to belong to your 501(c)3 radio club?

Same here - Our club is a 501C3, and I'm scratching my head on this one as well...
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »

NI0U,

You may already be aware of this since you've founded one.... but others may not.

The benefit of being a member of a 501c3 organization is that donations are tax-exempt: both for the donor as well as for the club (donor gets a variable tax break depending on tax situation while the club pays no taxes on the revenue). The IRS requires that an applicant be an established non-profit corporation in a given state before considering the IRS exemption under the 501c3 tax code provisions. Then, many states require another exemption in order to "publicly solicit" donations vs. Board members giving or over the transom donations. These vary by state and there are annual revenue thresholds whereby there is no reporting needed or there is some reporting or a lot of reporting. Regardless, a Form 990 must be submitted to the IRS annually to maintain the 501c3 recognition in good standing. These forms are available online for review (e.g., the ARRL's is online, etc.).

Does this help answer the Q or have I misinterpreted the head-scratching?

Frank
K4FMH
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:22:31 PM »

But they didn't ask for an explanation of the benefits of 501(C-3). They are already members of clubs that are 501(C-3) so they asked why they would want to join your club.

Our club had a repeater. We went 501(C-3) so that the owner of the company who donated tower space to us could take a tax write-off for it. By the way, in most cases I don't think it is legal to take a tax write-off for the cost of annual membership dues. If dues give you repeater access, a newsletter, a vote at meetings, etc. they you are receiving something in return for your dues. You can however write off a voluntary donation for which you receive nothing of value in return.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »

Thank you for explaining to NOlU and w2rwj they must be medicated with strong meds the 501 (c-3) is in place for a reason and they did not start and founder anything. The membership drive is on so do not complain just take your meds.

If this is the attitude and tone you take with potential members by insulting them and accusing them of being on drugs, then you have just lost (at least) one potential member.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »

NO1U:

I'm sure you already know this but, for the record, thus was in no way the intent of my post! Like you, I've founded (with others) a non-profit and managed the continuation of others. I merely walked through some of the well-understood benefits for those knowledgeable about nonprofits. I've come across many hams who've not had such direct experiences with what these various state and federal designations are. They can be a distinct advantage for ham groups if used properly. Acrimony isn't helpful!

Frank
K4FMH

Thank you for explaining to NOlU and w2rwj they must be medicated with strong meds the 501 (c-3) is in place for a reason and they did not start and founder anything. The membership drive is on so do not complain just take your meds.
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »

I think you should report back to your club that your attempt to attract members is "foundering." Based on your derogatory comments about N0IU and w2rwj in the quoted post, you may also find that you are no longer a member.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »

NO1U:

I'm sure you already know this but, for the record, thus was in no way the intent of my post! Like you, I've founded (with others) a non-profit and managed the continuation of others. I merely walked through some of the well-understood benefits for those knowledgeable about nonprofits. I've come across many hams who've not had such direct experiences with what these various state and federal designations are. They can be a distinct advantage for ham groups if used properly. Acrimony isn't helpful!

Frank
K4FMH

Doc,

I assume you meant me (my call is NØIU, not NO1U) in your post. I have no issues at all with your posts, but rather with KD4YSH's accusations that I am on drugs.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 03:43:48 PM »

My apologies on the errant call! Battling cataracts...FB on the comment. I just wanted to derail the post de KD4YSH misinterpreting my comments. Carry on!

Frank
K4FMH

NO1U:

Frank
K4FMH

Doc,

I assume you meant me (my call is NØIU, not NO1U) in your post. I have no issues at all with your posts, but rather with KD4YSH's accusations that I am on drugs.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 03:48:30 AM »

KIDS, KIDS, KIDS !!
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »

w3wn...yes you can be a member as long as you are in good  standings with the ITC
I see THAT little attempt at a touch of humor flew right over your head.

I'm not even going to ask what the ITC is.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »

W2rwj........nothing to scratch your head about if you google 501 (c-3) it will explain to you in detail what this is in place for and how to set up and use the 501 in the proper way if you have any questions there are people in place to help you with any verbage you do not understand.

take care

So why don't you explain in detail what a 501(c)(3) is in place for, how to set one up or how to use it in the proper way instead of sending W2RWJ to Google® to look it up for himself? Why don't you explain the verbiage of the tax code since you seem to be so knowledgeable?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: