The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3Y0I Bouvet Island Take 2  (Read 10060 times)
VK3KTT

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Yesterday at 06:57:31 PM »

Wow I thought I was the only one!  After I spent 8 or 9 hours on the radio each day for a one week period trying to get Heard Island I ended up feeling so sick of Ham radio that it took many months for me to even summon up the will to take off the dust covers on the radio again.  I know some guys thrive on the challenge but I personally start to mentally break down when I am doing something repetitive and not getting a result.  The XYL reaction did not help, as her support wore out on the third day and then turned to anger.

yep i wont let it get to that stage any more no atno is worth it. i find calling for 1-2 hours if nil i leave and then come back you will be surprised how many times i get them with in 10 mins when i return.
 any contact will make me happy  not sure i will get an though

10m dx'er
is sdr the future i dont know

vk3ktt/k3ktt
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Yesterday at 07:47:29 PM »

yep i wont let it get to that stage any more no atno is worth it. i find calling for 1-2 hours if nil i leave and then come back you will be surprised how many times i get them with in 10 mins when i return.
 any contact will make me happy  not sure i will get an though

Yep after Heard Island I realized I am not a True Blue DXer and never will be!
One of the annoying part about Heard Island besides the absolutely dismal signal was the numerous times the OP would come back with part of my call and then people would swarm my Tx Freq and start calling on it.  I also suck at CW so I was having a hell of a time with the polar flutter.  After that overall experience I decided to be very cautious about burning myself out and getting frustrated.

The thing with 3Y0I is that most people are going to plan on it ending at any point, so those first few days are going to be absolutely crazy.  I hope Dom's camera guy makes some good videos of the trip.  I love hearing the pileup from the other side. 

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Yesterday at 07:56:49 PM »

Yep after Heard Island I realized I am not a True Blue DXer and never will be!

I know a lot of True Blue DXers who will nevertheless find working this one to be a draining experience.  Usually I find the pileups much more enjoyable in retrospect.  Any pileup I broke was FB, no matter how long it took; any pileup that I didn't get through totally sucked.   Grin
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Yesterday at 08:10:04 PM »

And now, while we wait, for something completely different Smiley

https://mikedashhistory.com/2011/02/13/an-abandoned-lifeboat-at-worlds-end/
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Yesterday at 08:19:31 PM »

Times are a changing...

Through decades I never heard a lot of good DX on my wires and verticals. Pileups? I rode my motorcycles. Why beat my head on the wall?

But then I wanted Bhutan (A5). I knew the dates. I put up a beam. A cheap tribander at a lowly 30'. Hams near me worked them, but I did not. Zero. I never even sniffed'm.

That pissed me off, so then I dug a big hole and put up a bigger tribander at 70' - and that's when the world opened up to me. Mind you those signals were ALWAYS there, I just never heard them. No more frustration. No more calling for hours/days/weeks. This hobby became FUN again, and quickly.

Now a days it appears people do way less, but want way more. And if somehow, someday you do rise above the noise and generate a signal - now they want you to step aside and let the "little pistols" have their chance. "Ham Spirit" they call it.

Well little pistols all over the world, here's some Ham Spirit for ya' when something like Bouvet, Heard, Bhutan, Crouzet, even Elder Apollo come on: go ride your motorcycle.

N0UN
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:21:40 PM by N0UN » Logged

N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Yesterday at 09:50:13 PM »

I had 70ft of Rohn 45G and a TH6 at my first house, actually it was included with the house Smiley but I wasn't at all active for various reasons.

However we moved and can't do that here but 99% of my chasing has been from here anyway. Some new ones took longer than others and three I've never heard at all - P5, Scarboro and Pratas. So you have to jump in and work for it !
VK3KTT

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Today at 12:07:49 AM »

[quoteTimes are a changing...

Through decades I never heard a lot of good DX on my wires and verticals. Pileups? I rode my motorcycles. Why beat my head on the wall?

But then I wanted Bhutan (A5). I knew the dates. I put up a beam. A cheap tribander at a lowly 30'. Hams near me worked them, but I did not. Zero. I never even sniffed'm.

That pissed me off, so then I dug a big hole and put up a bigger tribander at 70' - and that's when the world opened up to me. Mind you those signals were ALWAYS there, I just never heard them. No more frustration. No more calling for hours/days/weeks. This hobby became FUN again, and quickly.

Now a days it appears people do way less, but want way more. And if somehow, someday you do rise above the noise and generate a signal - now they want you to step aside and let the "little pistols" have their chance. "Ham Spirit" they call it.

Well little pistols all over the world, here's some Ham Spirit for ya' when something like Bouvet, Heard, Bhutan, Crouzet, even Elder Apollo come on: go ride your motorcycle.

N0UN][/quote]

my plan if i cant hear them is to go portable with a 6kwh generator qro to a place with dominating landscape.... well its my only option friends have said your welcome to come over but i prefer to earn it myself call me stupid. at least it will be fun and a few friends with small stations will come.

10m dx'er
is sdr the future i dont know

vk3ktt/k3ktt
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Today at 02:02:51 AM »

A really good shack can only get you so far.  I have a friend with three 150ft towers and two monster IR plus one tower with a 6 element 20m mono banded beam and even he struggling to pull in JA from the east coast.  He was just as frustrated with working Heard Island as I was.  If popogation sucks a good setup can only do so much to help

Rob y

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: