eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 ... 157 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW / QSL Received  (Read 618658 times)
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #1740 on: May 15, 2018, 10:58:20 PM »

VE3VSM/HR9   a new one for me via the rural delivery mail van this morning.

Nothing like the thrill of seeing the airmail envelope in the box, who is it today.

Cheers  Gavin ZL1BBW

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #1741 on: May 16, 2018, 04:45:17 AM »

PJ5/AI5P via LOTW... looks like he decided to use LOTW after all!  Smiley
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1742 on: May 16, 2018, 07:33:26 AM »

5U5C on 160 CW yesterday.  New all-time for LoTW and a nice 160 confirmation.
VE1CEN

Ignore
« Reply #1743 on: May 16, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »

Folks, I have a question about the QSL practices of S01WS from Western Sahara.
They claim not to LoTW confirm you unless you pay them via OQRS for a direct QSL card.
How common is this sort of thing?
It seems to me that it costs nothing for someone to upload to loTW... in fact, its usually done automatically.
I just want to know how it went for other people who got QSLs from S01WS.

95% bozosity
N4UFO

Ignore
« Reply #1744 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »

S01WS from Western Sahara  -  How common is this sort of thing?

On the S01WS QSL request Clublog page: "YOU ARE HELPING TO MAINTAIN SAHRAWI RADIO CLUB"

I worked them on 9 bands, made three Clublog submissions (2 in 2016, 1 in 2017), plus donated a small bit extra to help out when they lost some antennas. They need money just to keep the station on the air and operating... everything from equipment & antennas to the building it is housed in. I believe economic factors in the country are such that they need outside support to keep ham radio going there; private stations would be a luxury.

The logs go to a station in Spain and the QSL cards are mailed from there... (I believe the LotW is uploaded from there as well.)  It may not be 'common practice' overall in the DX world, but I think it's safe to say, the plan is to simply keep a bit of funds flowing in to keep things running. (IMHO, not unlike a DXpedition doing early LotW uploads for those that request direct QSLs.) Bottom line, I don't think it's about some QSL manager getting rich, if that is what you were wondering.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:56:52 AM by N4UFO » Logged
VE1CEN

Ignore
« Reply #1745 on: May 16, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »

S01WS from Western Sahara  -  How common is this sort of thing?

On the S01WS QSL request Clublog page: "YOU ARE HELPING TO MAINTAIN SAHRAWI RADIO CLUB"

I worked them on 9 bands, made three Clublog submissions (2 in 2016, 1 in 2017), plus donated a small bit extra to help out when they lost some antennas. They need money just to keep the station on the air and operating... everything from equipment & antennas to the building it is housed in. Economic factors in the country are such that they need outside support to keep ham radio going there; private stations would be a luxury.

The logs go to a station in Spain and the QSL cards are mailed from there... (I believe the LotW is uploaded from there as well.)  It may not be 'common practice' overall in the DX world, but I think it's safe to say, the plan is to simply keep a bit of funds flowing in to keep things running. (IMHO, not unlike a DXpedition doing early LotW uploads for those that request direct QSLs.) Bottom line, I don't think it's about some QSL manager getting rich, if that is what you were wondering.  Smiley

That mostly answers my questions, thank you.
o they automatically upload you to LoTW when they receive payment for the QSL direct card? I noticed on the clublog OQRS page, there was no option to request LoTW so I hope it is automatic. My primary QSL method is LoTW, so while I will certainly enjoy the card very much, I also want that LoTW confirmation!

Thanks for the info.

95% bozosity
N4UFO

Ignore
« Reply #1746 on: May 16, 2018, 09:02:11 AM »

o they automatically upload you to LoTW when they receive payment for the QSL direct card? I noticed on the clublog OQRS page, there was no option to request LoTW so I hope it is automatic. My primary QSL method is LoTW, so while I will certainly enjoy the card very much, I also want that LoTW confirmation!

Thanks for the info.

My pleasure, glad to help. - If memory serves, yes, just request the cards (might wait until you get 4 QSOs, same price) and the LotW will come when the manager 'gets around to it'. In 2017, Paypal shows I put in my OQRS the same day I worked them on 160m and the LotW QSL date shows about 2 & 1/2 weeks later.   Good luck!!!

EDIT: Seems to me on at least one of those submissions, the QSL cards arrived by mail before the LotW was uploaded... so be patient.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:07:32 AM by N4UFO » Logged
VE1CEN

Ignore
« Reply #1747 on: May 16, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »

Thanks for the info.

My pleasure, glad to help. - If memory serves, yes, just request the cards (might wait until you get 4 QSOs, same price) and the LotW will come when the manager 'gets around to it'. In 2017, Paypal shows I put in my OQRS the same day I worked them on 160m and the LotW QSL date shows about 2 & 1/2 weeks later.   Good luck!!!

EDIT: Seems to me on at least one of those submissions, the QSL cards arrived by mail before the LotW was uploaded... so be patient.  Wink

Fantastic news. I may just have to jump the gun and get the confirmation for 40m CW, regardless of the money savings that I would have if I waited until I had 4 QSLs I needed... it's my first contact with an African station so I am pretty excited about it. Thanks for the help, again.
Cheers!

95% bozosity
N4UFO

Ignore
« Reply #1748 on: May 16, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »

it's my first contact with an African station so I am pretty excited about it. Thanks for the help, again.
Cheers!

AH! You are new to DXing... welcome to the long slow addiction that will consume the rest of your life.   Cheesy Grin  73 & GL!
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1749 on: May 16, 2018, 07:24:10 PM »

S01WS is a bit of a special case.

It used to be quite rare.  Now it is relatively easy precisely because this station exists and is quite active.  If it ceased, it would be come difficult again.  Maybe very difficult.

I have QSLed them several times before they went to LOTW.  I don't begrudge them a little extra fundraising.

How "the rest of us", sitting in the comforts of home, fund those stations that are in rare and difficult places (including war zones of varying intensity or places where corruption is a way of life) is something you will have to decide upon as you embark on your DXing career.

And, don't let anyone tell you it "must" be thus and so.  There are a million opinions on how the DX game is to be played.  Listen, learn, make up your own mind.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1750 on: May 18, 2018, 07:05:12 PM »

LOTW of AH3C from Johnson Island.  1990.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #1751 on: May 19, 2018, 12:54:47 AM »

LOTW of AH3C from Johnson Island.  1990.

Nice! Definitely worth waiting for even 28 years!  Grin

An ATNO?

Marvin VE3VEE
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1752 on: May 19, 2018, 07:32:26 AM »

No, I got the card years ago and claimed it years ago.

LOTW didn't even exist that far back.  But, even if it had, for a long time, the idea of getting "all of your confirmations from LOTW" would have been a bad joke.  Until at least 2009 perhaps.  Even today, direct is about 1/4 of my confirmations.  Those that do better have my admiration.  Me, I want credit in my lifetime.

I have no idea why they finally uploaded.  It's nice, I suppose, that they did since the log now can "never be closed".  That's a good thing.  But, beyond what is probably literally a handful of stragglers who came to DXing late, nobody is going to get much out of it.

It's a curiosity for most of us.
SM5GLC

Ignore
« Reply #1753 on: May 19, 2018, 02:05:34 PM »

I noticed I got AH3C/KH5J Palmyra confirmed on LoTW after some 26 years....
Guess it was waiting for me, I got round to upload old QSO's at that time Smiley But I still need Johnston Isl.

BTW it may very well be ARRL who made logs availabe to LoTW! I was hunting some old cards, and finally tracked down the current caretaker of VP8SSI, who said the logs were about to be shipped to ARRL and in a few years time will be uploaded to LoTW.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1754 on: May 19, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »

I noticed I got AH3C/KH5J Palmyra confirmed on LoTW after some 26 years....
Guess it was waiting for me, I got round to upload old QSO's at that time Smiley But I still need Johnston Isl.

BTW it may very well be ARRL who made logs availabe to LoTW! I was hunting some old cards, and finally tracked down the current caretaker of VP8SSI, who said the logs were about to be shipped to ARRL and in a few years time will be uploaded to LoTW.

OH WOW OH WOW COULD IT BE THIS SPONSORED BY JA1BK: http://www.arrl.org/dx-log-archive

As this program grows, the uses for the assembled logs will become more apparent. The obvious use for the logs is to provide confirmations in digital form via Logbook of the World for those who provide matching QSL data. Depending on the size of the log, ARRL may choose to digitize logs and place them into LoTW proactively
Pages: Prev 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 ... 157 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: