The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 169 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW / QSL Received  (Read 670402 times)
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2016, 03:51:40 AM »

Definitely well worth it Obie. People who don't yet use software logs and LOTW don't know what they are missing.

Marvin VE3VEE

VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2016, 03:53:21 AM »

VK9NT - I worked the current expedition to Norfolk few hours ago on RTTY and already the QSO has been confirmed via LOTW.

Marvin VE3VEE
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2016, 04:17:50 AM »

VK9NT - I worked the current expedition to Norfolk few hours ago on RTTY and already the QSO has been confirmed via LOTW.

Marvin VE3VEE

I need Norfolk on 40 but they were working a lot of JAs at my sunrise.  They did switch to NA but too late for New England.  Hopefully I get another shot when condx favor me.

Chris  NU1O
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2016, 04:29:30 AM »

Chris,

Your 40m QSO with Norfolk will be in your log soon, I'm sure! There's going to be a lot of ham radio activity on the island over the next few weeks:

VK9NT - May 20 to May 31
VK9PAS - May 23 to May 30
VK9NF - May 24 to June 3
VK9WI - May 24 to June 24

Marvin VE3VEE
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2016, 05:27:57 AM »

Chris,

Your 40m QSO with Norfolk will be in your log soon, I'm sure! There's going to be a lot of ham radio activity on the island over the next few weeks:

VK9NT - May 20 to May 31
VK9PAS - May 23 to May 30
VK9NF - May 24 to June 3
VK9WI - May 24 to June 24

Marvin VE3VEE

Thanks for the info, Marvin.  I used to copy the info from the various DX newsletters, including The Daily DX, to a calendar but once I made HR I think I got lazy because I'm mostly filling in band slots now.

BTW, I had no idea you grew up behind the Iron Curtain and started as an SWL.  I read that in the P5 thread. I also started as an SWL but I was born here in the USA.  I used to listen to Vlad Posner and Joe Adamov from R. Moscow, although not regularly, but even though I was just an impressionable teen I never fell for the propaganda.  I detested Communism and the USSR.  I used to mainly try and tune in new countries back then and I rarely listened to program content except for the BBC because I enjoyed their world news.  It seems little has changed in 40 years because I'm still chasing new countries but I do enjoy having ragchew type QSOs with DX stations.

I don't know if it's the language barrier or old habits being slow to die but I find it extremely difficult to go beyond a signal report and exchange of station details with most stations except for those in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.  I can understand the reluctance of those in Russia and their allies in Eastern Europe to go beyond a signal report and exchange of equipment but I find the operators who are now in NATO countries are still hesitant to engage in conversation.  

That's a very nice photo of your 20 meter monobander atop that tall tower on your QRZ page.  I know many XYLs can't stand the look of a tower or an antenna but I really like that photo and I'm extremely jealous of that monobander and  tower you have.

Keep up the DX spots.  I find your DX spots very helpful!

Chris  NU1O

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:31:05 AM by NU1O » Logged
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2016, 06:19:02 AM »

C92CC arrived in the mail last week.   I tried to get a local here to help with LOTW but got a pretty chilly reception for whatever reason.  So no LOTW here.....
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »

Chris,

BTW, I had no idea you grew up behind the Iron Curtain and started as an SWL.

From the early 1970s till 1986, when I left the country, I was very active there in a couple of radio clubs mostly contesting and DXing. When I moved to Canada, I became QRT. I was briefly, for about a year, active in 1992, when I lived on the top floor of a 22 floor building. I was able to put up a 2 element Quad on the roof. Unfortunately, shortly after, a telecommunication company leased the roof for its own antennas and mine had to be removed. I became inactive again till about 3 1/2 years ago.

I don't know if it's the language barrier or old habits being slow to die but I find it extremely difficult to go beyond a signal report and exchange of station details with most stations except for those in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

Chris, I'm pretty sure it's mainly just the language barrier and nothing else. The English language wasn't taught behind the Iron Curtain. Most of us learned just a few sentences to make short QSOs in English. If you make thousands of QSOs using those few phrases, you become good at it and you will make the impression you can speak the language, but in reality you can't. Young people there learn the language in schools now, but few of the old timers have gone back to school to study English...

Marvin VE3VEE
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2016, 08:00:04 AM »

I tried to get a local here to help with LOTW but got a pretty chilly reception for whatever reason.  So no LOTW here.....

If you want, send me an email to my address listed at QRZ.com. Describe where you are stuck. I'll try to help. I'm not an LOTW expert, but I'll try to help if I can.

Marvin VE3VEE
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »

Great story Marvin. It's a lot of work, but the dividends are worth the effort.

It's even possible to just "move on" from where you are and ignore the old QSOs.

As some of us get older, we put up better stations.  When I finally became a bigger gun, I also found (especially over the last couple of "peak" sunspot years) that I was able to replicate just about everything I had previously done.  Not all, to be sure, but plenty enough.

So, if someone reading this just can't bear the thought of typing in all of those old QSOs -- just don't.  Pick up from where you are and you'll be surprised at how well you do.

Or, just sift through the old cards (does not take that long) and "pull" all the rare stuff.  You know what it is, so it's not the big a bother -- or that big a volume.  You can turn in the cards for credit (if you haven't) or simply type in that relatively small number of QSOs.

If you've turned in some DXCC in the past, its nowadays pretty painless to download the whole bunch.  That's right, whatever you have credit (even if it 100 old card only submissions over the years) for is not all that hard to import into your logger.  There's an option to download ADIF for your whole account.  It used to be obscure, but now it isn't.  So, you can do "from here forward" or even, with only a bit more work "from here forward plus my existing credits."
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »

It's even possible to just "move on" from where you are and ignore the old QSOs.

As some of us get older, we put up better stations.  When I finally became a bigger gun, I also found (especially over the last couple of "peak" sunspot years) that I was able to replicate just about everything I had previously done.  Not all, to be sure, but plenty enough.

So, if someone reading this just can't bear the thought of typing in all of those old QSOs -- just don't.  Pick up from where you are and you'll be surprised at how well you do.

Or, just sift through the old cards (does not take that long) and "pull" all the rare stuff.  You know what it is, so it's not the big a bother -- or that big a volume.  You can turn in the cards for credit (if you haven't) or simply type in that relatively small number of QSOs.

If you've turned in some DXCC in the past, its nowadays pretty painless to download the whole bunch.  That's right, whatever you have credit (even if it 100 old card only submissions over the years) for is not all that hard to import into your logger.  There's an option to download ADIF for your whole account.  It used to be obscure, but now it isn't.  So, you can do "from here forward" or even, with only a bit more work "from here forward plus my existing credits."

When I got started with LoTW, I had several logbooks filled.There were 25 Q's per page two sided pages.

My goal was to enter (1) page at a time, while was in my shack listening to the radio.

This was done during my spare time. If I missed a day no big deal.

This was time shared with Family, job, plus other responsibilities.

After many months all of log data had been uploaded. Now before I shut

down I upload my log data . Sometime I forget but never too often.

Obie N5VYS
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »

E44QX on 30M cw just come in on LOTW   Grin

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2016, 03:53:27 PM »

ATNO: sometime during my stay in Dayton, HV0A uploaded and QSL'd our 2016-05-14 contact.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2016, 07:00:18 AM »

HA1AS LoTW received... the QSO was from 1989!!! Smiley

It's nice to see old timers starting to use LOTW. A couple of years ago, I helped a friend of mine to switch from paper log books to logging software and to start using LOTW. He rewrote, little by little, most of his old QSOs to his new logging software. Before, he didn't even know how many countries he had confirmed. He only knew he had in his garage shoe boxes filled with thousands of QSL cards. After uploading his old contacts to LOTW, most of his entities were immediately confirmed and he was able to see, on his LOTW web page, exactly which entities he had confirmed on which bands. He now cannot imagine ham radio without logging software and without LOTW. He was able to get his first DXCC award with stickers for I think 310 entities as well as his 5B-DXCC.

Marvin VE3VEE

That is pretty amazing Marvin! That is a lot further along than when I started filing for DXCC / LoTW. I think I had 20m, CW and stickers for 250 entities when I filed.

I still have more from old logbooks I need to enter into LoTW.. at some point I want to sit down and enter all my contacts from years past. One of these days I will start knocking that out in small chunks. It certainly was need to see a QSO confirm from almost 27 years ago!
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »

In my case... my log from when I was a kid, has many many problems with localtime to UTC time conversion. Off by an hour due to me not taking into account DST, or off by a day because I put in local date while it was the next day UTC.

Out of a few thousand QSO's I typed in from the 70's and early 80's, only two matched in LOTW. Neat that those two matched! I bet if I had the time details more accurate I would've gotten several more matches.

More interesting to me are the hand-written QSO's I have from when I was a kid. Plan to keep those!

From when I was a kid, I just have a couple deleted entities that would be worth something after I get honor roll to have a bigger number on one side of the slash. Nothing at all rare, East Germany, Carribean islands before their restructuring, etc.

Tim N3QE
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2016, 07:46:42 AM »

In my case... my log from when I was a kid, has many many problems with localtime to UTC time conversion. Off by an hour due to me not taking into account DST, or off by a day because I put in local date while it was the next day UTC.

Tim,

My friend ( om3im ) was in the exact same situation. Some QSOs in his oldest paper logs were in UTC, some were in his local time with or without the proper DST. What a mess! After he was mostly done with the rewriting of the QSOs and after uploading it all to LOTW, we looked at his worked but unconfirmed entities. There were some really rare ones. We checked, one by one, if any of those included stations who uploaded logs to LOTW. If the QSOs were with LOTW users, we would create in his logging software duplicate QSOs with different times accounting for the possible time difference between his local time (with or without DTS) and UTC, and then we uploaded those duplicate QSOs with new times to LOTW. This way we were able to recover a few rare entities for him; entities he never had confirmed with paper QSL cards before. Some of these newly confirmed new entities were QSOs 25 to 30 years old. What an excitement it was for both of us!  Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:50:07 AM by VE3VEE » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 169 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: