The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 151 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW / QSL Received  (Read 587989 times)
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: September 29, 2016, 06:12:46 AM »

9M2ZAK confirmed via LoTW within 20 of working him on 40 CW this morning...

Ray
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: September 29, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »

A5A - BHUTAN 2016 - LOTW received now, only few hours after OQRS.

Marvin VE3VEE
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: September 29, 2016, 08:10:43 AM »

A5A - BHUTAN 2016 - LOTW received now, only few hours after OQRS.

Marvin VE3VEE
within half an hour! WOW!

Ray
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: September 29, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »

Great news!  I just want LoTW credits.  I assume you had to request a direct card at a minimum?  I wish Clublog could have a LoTW option in addition to the Buro and direct cards.  I don't mind donating to get a LoTW confirmation.

Jonathan W6GX
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: September 29, 2016, 08:20:15 AM »

Great news!  I just want LoTW credits.  I assume you had to request a direct card at a minimum?  I wish Clublog could have a LoTW option in addition to the Buro and direct cards.  I don't mind donating to get a LoTW confirmation.

Jonathan W6GX

Yes, Jonathan, I requested a direct. I also wish there was an LOTW-only option. I have no need for paper QSLs, either.

Marvin VE3VEE
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: September 29, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »

I wish Clublog could have a LoTW option in addition to the Buro and direct cards.

Jonathan, I've just opened a support ticket with this new feature suggestion for Clublog OQRS. I'll post here a reply if/when one received.

Marvin VE3VEE
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: September 29, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »

Thanks Marvin.

Jonathan W6GX
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: September 29, 2016, 09:40:37 AM »

I wish Clublog could have a LoTW option in addition to the Buro and direct cards.

Jonathan, I've just opened a support ticket with this new feature suggestion for Clublog OQRS. I'll post here a reply if/when one received.

I am morally opposed to DXpeditions charging for LOTW uploads. Yes, I know, I have compromised my morals and have effectively paid DX for a LOTW upload in the past. And yes, I know that a fringe benefit to early donors is often a prompt LOTW upload. You may have seen me complain here loudly when a famous DXpedition earlier this year rescinded their promise that early donors get prompt LOTW uploads and were trying to get me to fork over another $100 after the dxpedition for a upload!

I keep track of which DXpedition organizers do prompt free LOTW uploads not requiring fees to be paid. And I donate more often, or more money, to those DXpeditions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:42:57 AM by N3QE » Logged
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: September 29, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »

S9BK via LoTW....

that was a nice surprise

Ray
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: September 29, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »

I am morally opposed to DXpeditions charging for LOTW uploads.

Morals or self-interest?

Most DXpeditioners, from the common ones to the rarest, tend to pay half of the cost of putting the DXpedition on.  Costs that, even after allowing for today's low inflation, seem to be rising.  So is the government hassle factor.  If we somehow paid more of that, we'd have a lot more DXpeditions.  But no, we say it is a "hobby" and nobody should "have to pay."  Except, of course, somebody actually does so.  It's just a question of "who".

It's also very clear from experience, that many consulting adults are willing to pay for that quick response.  Why not reward the hardy DXpeditioner with a modicum of cash for doing so?  I just don't see this as a moral issue at all.

You, of course, are free to withhold your support from such DXpeditions (though you admit you often don't).  If Clublog offers this, go ahead and don't use it.  You can wait for when and if you get that freebie LOTW upload.  I do it myself sometimes, but I don't pretend it's any moral crusade.  Doubly so when, in a strange double standard, we accept DXpeditions that don't do LOTW at all and grouse about the ones that charge for it.  But direct QSLs are much more expensive all around.  Even two bucks for an LOTW upload is cheaper than a direct QSL.  And many DXpeditions and especially local operators tell you outright to forget the "buro," which isn't as cheap as it looks anyway.

If there's any ire that needs to be directed, direct it at the DX that isn't part of LOTW.

Truth is, it's really the medium rare stuff that's the issue.  The Heard Islands of the world have to take foundation money and for the foreseeable future, that means that somewhere between six months and a year out, you'll get your freebie LOTW confirm.  And that's the difference between Honor Roll or not.

Unless you think you're going to reach 3000 on DX Challenge, who really gives a damn about the rest?  Just don't QSL the ones that actually dare to ask you to fund them in any way, including confirmations.  I know I balk sometimes when the direct costs get to be too much.  I can usually find a substitute.  But LOTW is always cheap.  The sticky ones are the ones that "magically" (often not strictly documented) only do your LOTW after you send direct.  That's irritating, but I already agreed to go direct.

It's all a question of patience in the end.  You wait long enough and you can find some DXpeditioner that doesn't care about cost.  Piggyback on them, just like always.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: September 29, 2016, 01:39:36 PM »

Even two bucks for an LOTW upload is cheaper than a direct QSL.

LOTW is "easier to handle", it doesn't need to be taken to a QSL card checker. It's saves time and money.

Marvin VE3VEE
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: September 29, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »

Here's a possible solution on how to handle the LoTW part.  Have Clublog keep the existing format, either Buro or direct.  Once the user click on the direct method it goes to the 'check out' page.  Somewhere on the 'check out' page add a box with the option of opting out of a direct card and replacing it with LoTW confirmation.  The small box could say something like this 'by selecting this option I agree to forfeit a physical card in lieu of an express LoTW confirmation.  100% of your donation will go towards offsetting the dxpedition budget'.  Those who are against pay-for-LoTW will not click that box, and perhaps they will still get a LoTW at a later date.  Those who prefer LoTW will get an express LoTW confirmation.  It's as simple as that.  Of course the dxpedition still has a choice on the express LoTW option.  That option shouldn't be made mandatory on all dxpeditioners.

Jonathan W6GX
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: September 29, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »

That's the solution I would expect them to implement, in some form.

Perfectly legitimate, too.
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: September 29, 2016, 04:59:08 PM »

CY9C just hit LoTW

Ray
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: September 29, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »

CY9C via LoTW.

Obie  N5VYS
Pages: Prev 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 151 Next   Go Up