The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 160 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW / QSL Received  (Read 637731 times)
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: December 01, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »

I suppose I should start chasing some paper, especially for ZA/ZA1P.

You know, that's an interesting strategy point.  I know some DXers have decided to live and die with LOTW only.  

And, truth be told, had I done that myself, my Mixed DXCC totals would be about the same (at least they would after about 2004).  But, I didn't.  And, my DX Challenge numbers would not have been as good.  

What I now do one of two things.  If they say they will do LOTW, I will wait and see.  Usually works.  If they aren't promising (or outright rejecting) LOTW what I now do is wait an interval (at least three months) and see what happens.   If somebody else comes along that confirms via LOTW, then I toss the would-be direct card.  If the same person "goes back" (happens more than you might think, even without any announcements), I might work the station on another band on the second trip and so save an extra QSLing.

I find that somewhere between 90 and 120 days, the odds of working the same station again fall off "enough" that I tend to QSL then.  As a result, I don't suffer a lot of "Oh, went back X months or even X years later and I worked them again."  And, I've moved far enough into the year where conditions probably have changed, so the odds of working someone else, soon, also tend to go down.

But, what I am also starting to see is a lot of very old DXpeditions, unannounced, loading up their Qs into LOTW.  When that happens, I think I know why.  Having been the QSL manager for my own very minor DXpeditions, I have learned that the card volume really falls off when you upload to LOTW.  If you don't want a lot of cards, upload during or immediately after the DXped.  Now, two, five, ten years out, even the rarest place is going to be down to a trickle of cards.   Easiest  way to cut that trickle even further?  Upload to LOTW if you haven't.  There's little or no profit in QSLing to start with and even less for someone who waited five years to QSL you.  This is what I think some expeditions are doing.

So, if you're dedicated to "LOTW only" as your confirmation strategy, you might wait five long years and see what happens.  But, there will be at least band countries, especially on 10/12 or 80, that you don't get because you wait.  By then, your station may have changed a lot and maybe not for the better.  Even so, I've performed an accidental experiment and found I could QSL about half of 20-year old cards I never got.  But, by the same token, there is an attrition if you wait.  People go SK, logs get lost, computers get upgraded and logs become unreadable.  You really can't wait forever.

Somewhere between ninety days and five years is a strategy that would suit everyone reading these words.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:31:29 PM by WO7R » Logged
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2016, 05:28:30 PM »

H40GC 12M new band via LoTW.

Obie N5VYS
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: December 02, 2016, 04:10:44 AM »

very happy Stan uploaded for h40gc dam i missed 40 ah well leaves something to chase  main thing is i got 10m:)
 next time Smiley
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: December 02, 2016, 04:33:25 AM »

I am on top of my Entity confirmation, with 323 worked and all confirmed, but am about 250 band fills behind in confirmations for Challenge points. With DXCC done, all bands, there is not much incentive to chase cards. I am about 35 confirmations off 2000 Challenge points, but will let those come in whenever they do with LotW. A few new ones have come in already from the CQ WW, including BA4TB on 160 m!

With postage out now at $2.95, that makes $5 or $6 for a direct card return. Now with maybe 200 cards to chase, the total cost = Forget It.

I have run out of cards, and am having second thoughts about getting more printed. I have been meaning to get going on Global QSL, which allows me to order a small stock of cards for direct requests, and the Bureau burden can be done electronically.

Manana.
BA4TB

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: December 02, 2016, 05:06:03 AM »

I am on top of my Entity confirmation, with 323 worked and all confirmed, but am about 250 band fills behind in confirmations for Challenge points. With DXCC done, all bands, there is not much incentive to chase cards. I am about 35 confirmations off 2000 Challenge points, but will let those come in whenever they do with LotW. A few new ones have come in already from the CQ WW, including BA4TB on 160 m!

With postage out now at $2.95, that makes $5 or $6 for a direct card return. Now with maybe 200 cards to chase, the total cost = Forget It.

I have run out of cards, and am having second thoughts about getting more printed. I have been meaning to get going on Global QSL, which allows me to order a small stock of cards for direct requests, and the Bureau burden can be done electronically.

Manana.

Luke,thanks for the QSO!
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: December 02, 2016, 05:48:09 AM »

Luke,thanks for the QSO!

Thank You, Dale! After you worked VK4KW in the WW, I thought I may also have a chance. I also worked XX9TXN on Top that evening.

Thanks for the quick LotW cfm.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: December 02, 2016, 07:50:41 AM »

VU7MS - LAKSHADWEEP ISLANDS - Clublog OQRS has just been enabled: https://secure.clublog.org/charts/?c=VU7MS

Marvin VE3VEE
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: December 02, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »

Manana.

I get significantly fewer cards now, via direct or bureau unless I request them. That is a GOOD thing. I don't mind replying but I think that postage costs are making it too prohibitive. I upload to everything - LoTW, eQSL, QRZ etc.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: December 02, 2016, 11:47:01 AM »

Got some from the last contest, bandfills for me:

TK0C - Corsica
3B9HA - Rodriguez Is
6Y9X - Jamaica

Not really ultra rare but nice to have.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »

I have been meaning to get going on Global QSL, which allows me to order a small stock of cards for direct requests, and the Bureau burden can be done electronically.

That's a good way to go.  But there may still be a residual of cards you might have to deal with.  With a little work and thought, you should be able to get cards printed at very small quantities for maybe 5 cents and at very small quantities.  I mean starting at quantity four.

The professional QSL printers get you to believe any amount under 1,000 is very expensive.  Well, for offset printing maybe it is.

The trick is to make your card in straight up black and white with at least a 0.5 cm margin around the card.  You don't need any fancy artwork.  Just a QSO area box and ordinary font for your call, grid square, address, etc.  Plus the magic phrases like "Confirming our 2way QSO" and "PSE TNX QSL".  Any software, such as whatever came with your digital camera or "The GIMP" (free) can do this.

If you design for the standard 9cm x 14cm overall size (including the 0.5 cm margin so that you have 8cm x 13cm to play with), you can put four of these into an A4 image and, one way or another, arrange to have it printed, verbatim, without scaling (you may have to trim the full A4 sized image as presented to your software, by 0.5 cm on each margin, so the printing process will restore it).  There will be a center "corridor" that's wasted, but you can put cutting guidelines in that area.

Take that sheet to any sort of "instant print" or print it on your own laser printer if you have one.  I can get cards printed for 5 cents or even less by this method.  And, the minimum quantity is four, so you don't have to have a big box of cards laying about the house.  Cutting the cards isn't all that hard. Just use any non-guillotine type cutter.  The shops usually have one you can use.  Or, buy a very inexpensive hand cutter (about 10 USD).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:37:40 PM by WO7R » Logged
K5PS

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2016, 07:46:16 PM »

Worked 3B9HA tonight for a new one on 80m and was confirmed in LoTW within hours.

They had a great signal here - could hear them quite well even before our sunset.

All generalizations are false
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2016, 08:41:23 PM »

Worked 3B9HA tonight for a new one on 80m and was confirmed in LoTW within hours.

They had a great signal here - could hear them quite well even before our sunset.

Same here.  But man that was some pileup!  He was working Europe, N.A., and even JAs.  It took me 1hr. 45min. to break the pile.  One of my local buddy has a four square on 80m and even with that it took him 15min.

Jonathan W6GX
K5PS

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: December 03, 2016, 03:07:19 AM »

Same here.  But man that was some pileup!  He was working Europe, N.A., and even JAs.  It took me 1hr. 45min. to break the pile.  One of my local buddy has a four square on 80m and even with that it took him 15min.

Jonathan W6GX

Yep, I heard you work them - congrats. Yes that was an intense pileup, I was in it over 2 hours. Almost gave up several times but stuck with it.

All generalizations are false
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: December 03, 2016, 03:19:23 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

Yep, I heard you work them - congrats. Yes that was an intense pileup, I was in it over 2 hours. Almost gave up several times but stuck with it.

Congrats to both of you. That's quite a distance from Colorado and from Texas all the way to 3B9HA on 80m.

Marvin VE3VEE
SM5GLC

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: December 03, 2016, 05:15:18 AM »

The pile was tremendous here in EU, and I was lucky to get through with my modest antennas. QSL within a few hours was a big bonus!
Watch 160, he should have a nice signal there too!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 160 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: