The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgive me FCC for I have sinned.......  (Read 7094 times)
AI8IA

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2016, 06:28:41 AM »

I'm not sure why I'm admitting this (on eham nonetheless) but I guess I'm looking for forgiveness, haha.

I haven't really been on SSB at all... I built a K2 a few years ago and added the SSB board later, but the main IC in it was bad and could never get it to work. Got it fixed by a friend a while back and this weekend I got it outside by the campfire, threw up a vertical on a telescoping mast, and tuned in 40m. It was heavy with Ontario QSO party CQs. Me being in Ohio, with a vertical that is probably at a high angle, I thought I'd give it a go. I answered about 6 CQs until I realized that I may be operating in the Extra portion (I'm a lowly General until May 9, hopefully.) I went inside and looked at the band plan on the wall, and oops.... every single contact was under 7175.

I seriously doubt the Canadians were looking up my license status, and to be honest, I was only running 10 watts so I wasn't stomping over anyone by any means. But I was just like "damn!" I was so happy to be on SSB getting decent signal reports and totally forgot where I was in the band.

I certainly can't be the first (or last) to do this by accident. Any other similar stories?

In repentance, I promise to volunteer my time as a ham at least once in 2016... Smiley

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:31:55 AM by K8DJW » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:08:13 AM »

Dont feel bad David, I have done the same thing at least 2 times that I can remember, I am a General also. One of the times I received a warning card from the Band Police telling me about it. I wrote back and said sorry and I will try and not let it happen again. Not sure what would have happened if the FCC would have heard me though. I guess the warning card was good for me as a friendly reminder. I don't think that I have done it again. Good luck, no real biggie. 73 Jim W5JJG
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:00:09 AM by SWMAN » Logged
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »

I don't think the FCC will endeavor to know or care if you were out of band.  The guys whose underwear gets tied up in knots are the ARRL appointed Official Observer vigilantes who selectively go after the minor infractions.  While on that subject, these OOs are like the slapstick cops of yesteryear; they will tag and bag you if they know your call sign which you give when you're on the air.  If you you don't identify they hardly ever go after you because they simply can't identify you.  They never seem to organize themselves to triangulate a consistent QRMer so those guys get away with their pernicious behavior all the time. Only the guys who make the honest mistakes on the air receive OO cards.  If you get one don't feel bad, just correct your on air operation and behavior.  I've received one or two for very minor offenses and I use them to rest my coffee cup in the shack.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »

I'm not sure why I'm admitting this (on eham nonetheless) but I guess I'm looking for forgiveness, haha.

In repentance, I promise to volunteer my time as a ham at least once in 2016... Smiley

You've way overdone your penance.

And as other "criminals" have posted you are not alone in your transgressions.

Much worse crimes than your transgression occur nearly constantly on the bands: ops tuning up on a busy net frequency; ops sending such poorly-formed code that no one can copy their call in order to answer them; SSB ops who use obscene language constantly and/or who flap their lips endlessly about incredibly boring matters. I could go on.

The good thing about your confession is that you have discovered that you are not alone in your, however brief, life of crime.

I recommend volunteer work. It's a good opportunity to see how other people can screw things up and still feel good about it!

Submitted in jest, in case you are wondering.  Wink

The real bottom line is that you are 'way ahead of most poor operators in that you are aware of what you are doing. That's commendable.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:18:39 AM by KE6EE » Logged
AI8IA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 08:19:53 AM »

Submitted in jest, in case you are wondering.  Wink

Haha, as was my original post more or less. I will be sure to laminate any card I get in the mail from an OO!

More than anything, I was bummed that my first few SSB contacts on that radio turned out to be illegitimate. Smiley

Taking the test May 9th. If anyone has any advice on how to get the material in the 3 electronics sections to stick better, I'm all ears!
K5MF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 08:30:14 AM »

Don't forget to load those QSO's into LOTW just in case we need official evidence of your transgression.  I wonder if illegal QSO's can count towards awards?  I doubt anyone checks that when validating.  In all seriousness, we should all strive to live up to the letter of the law.  But once it is done, there isn't much you can do about it.  I look at it kind of like religion.  Strive to be the best knowing you are human and will have failures.

Tom/K5MF
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »

"Omni, omni, VOR, TACAN DME!"

Go forth and sin no more!  Smiley

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »

OOs get a bum rap.  They are simply because they want to point out simple "transgressions" so that you don't get zapped by the FCC.

Their roll has been diminished down through the years because the FCC no longer has a full set of teeth like they had many years ago.  The OO should have been considered a "friend." 

Of course if you received a nasty notice from an OO, it was upsetting but then one must remember that power or title goes to some heads and they morph into AHs.

But, in the meantime, give 'em a break.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »

Haha, as was my original post more or less. I will be sure to laminate any card I get in the mail from an OO!

Taking the test May 9th. If anyone has any advice on how to get the material in the 3 electronics sections to stick better, I'm all ears!

Yeah I got it about your original post and was replying in kind. On the other hand, things are often taken out of context in online forums thus my qualifier.

Regarding the Extra exam electronics sections, I think you must be referring to those which have to do with complex impedance, resonant circuit and other such calculations.

If you look closely at all those questions of similar type, you will observe that the same values are repeated over and again. Once you are a bit familiar with those values, appropriate inputs and outputs of calculations can be identified at a glance. There is no need to do any calculating for the exam if you are at all familiar with the questions and values.

There are some questions as to the function of components in circuit schematics provided. Those can be easily answered by just looking at the simple circuits and identifying the obvious function of each component.

There are lots of questions about electronics that you simply have to memorize unless you have worked with specific kinds of devices.

Keep in mind that the test overall has only something like 50 questions and there are only a few questions in each topic area. You can miss most or even all of the questions in any topic area and still pass.

The shortcut and nearly-foolproof method to passing the exam is to type up a list of all the questions with only the correct
answers for each question. The process of typing all this will store the information in your memory. It will also help you recognize subconsciously the correct answer since you are not bothering with the incorrect answers. When you take the test you will recognize the correct answer without having to understand why.

It's simple rote learning theory put into practice. It's exactly how we learn almost everything without ever really having to think about it. It's really why we often think such crazy thoughts. But that's another topic entirely.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:57:35 AM by KE6EE » Logged
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 11:39:46 AM »

Years ago I was at our club station sitting with an operator who started calling cq on phone. A few seconds later he abruptly stopped sending and said, "Oops, I'm in the cw band!"  :-)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »

Your penance:  study up and get your extra.  Grin

People make mistakes from time to time.  As long as you spot them and correct them, it's not really an issue. 
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »

If nothing else the original poster has demonstrated the unnecessary complexity of the US amateur license system. Reducing the different classes to two (novice 10W limit and full, both with full access to all frequencies) would eliminate the problem.

Peter DL8OV
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 01:51:49 PM »

If nothing else the original poster has demonstrated the unnecessary complexity of the US amateur license system.
Peter DL8OV

Absolutely. If, however, you think we as a nation are capable of doing things in a clear, rational and straightfoward manner, you don't know the U.S. like some of us do.  Grin
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 01:51:06 AM »

Like DL8OV, I don't understand why the US is now the only country with mandatory rather than voluntary band plans - other than for 5 MHz. It seems to me to be a non-necessary bureaucratic burden.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »

Peter is absolutely correct....frequency privileges based upon license class distinctions are passe. Enlightened communications ministries/departments simply restrict power levels among the various classes.  Now I know that someone will pipe in and say that a technician class operator restricted to only 100 watts may not be easy to detect or restrict in case the person violates the power limit...but I believe that opening band spectrum for all classes equally will eliminate much of the confusion and enmity that arises between the license classes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: