The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgive me FCC for I have sinned.......  (Read 7083 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »

I have recieved two notices in the past  from o.o official observers. Twice i made a mistake in out of band plan and both times just barley and appologized and left the frequency within three or four days I got the white piece of paper like a demerit for running in the hallway in school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH0yqZEzPnk
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 10:11:26 AM »

I have recieved two notices in the past  from o.o official observers. Twice i made a mistake in out of band plan and both times just barley and appologized and left the frequency within three or four days I got the white piece of paper like a demerit for running in the hallway in school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH0yqZEzPnk
   That was funny!  When my friend tries that on his kids, their response is "Write away, dude!".  Roll Eyes
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »

In forty years of amateur radio I've never received anything from an official observer (I don't think we have them on this side of the pond) but I HAVE had the visit to check on my station.

This was years ago when I lived in the UK and a neighbor was getting interference on her TV and radio in the evenings, bad enough to make things unusable. One evening the doorbell rang and there was a man with a badge standing there asking if he could inspect my station, it's hard to say no so I took him upstairs to the 'shack' which was in fact my bedroom. A 10W 2m FM rig was unlikely to be the source of the interference so a technical examination was not carried out and a quick look through the station log confirmed that I was not on air when the interference occurred. He just put a stamp in the log, signed it and left.

The cause was eventually traced to an imported CB transmitter operating on AM. UK CB was FM only so the equipment was confiscated.

Peter DL8OV
K5NOK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »

To K8DJW, at least it was an accident and you realized it and stopped.

I was trying to get a recent big Pacific dxpedition. They were on 20 meters in the Extra portion of the band.
I couldn't hear them.
I went to the calling frequency and looked up the people calling to see what part of the country was getting propagation. On about the 5th lookup, I discovered that the guy had a general class license. He made the contact. I checked a few more calls and found another General class licensee frantically calling the DX.
What chaps me a little is that I worked hard to pass the Extra, last June, so I could legally roam the extra frequencies on HF.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »

NOK, Those guys are all Chico Malo.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:07:12 AM by SWMAN » Logged
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »

I discovered that the guy had a general class license. He made the contact. I checked a few more calls and found another General class licensee frantically calling the DX.
What chaps me a little is that I worked hard to pass the Extra, last June, so I could legally roam the extra frequencies on HF.

Maybe they just upgraded?   Huh   Grin
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »

As an Extra I did not think twice when I heard a VE 40m SSB net calling for check ins on 7055. I keyed the mic and he came back with a 59 and "your out of your licensed band".
Surprised and confused I thought about it. Turns out 7055 is a phone band in Canada. It also explains why some were checking in using CW. I expected a card from the local FCC office across town. I too have sinned....   I added it to the log, didn't want a second violation.
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 01:48:43 PM »

If nothing else the original poster has demonstrated the unnecessary complexity of the US amateur license system. Reducing the different classes to two (novice 10W limit and full, both with full access to all frequencies) would eliminate the problem.

Peter DL8OV

It all goes back to the "incentive licensing" debacle in the 60s.

Anyway, to the OP, don't lose any sleep over it, every ham has probably done it in the heat of a contest. 

For your penance, pass your Extra exam and don't look back. 
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »

I have forgotten to hit the split button on some of the dxpeditions that transmit below 7100kc and receive up in our phone band once or twice. It happens. Don't sweat it.. just be more careful next time.. that's about it  Roll Eyes
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »

Just UPGRADE TO EXTRA and you are OK! Cheesy
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 06:05:04 PM »

If the "investigation" of your "alleged" crime is done by the FCC, it should only take 10-15yrs for any action is taken. You can further delay any impending legal action by answering the NAL with stating that you are a blind ham,(most old hams are blind, legally), and Obama should pay for a voice readout upgrade for your radio, and things like this would never have happened. Lack of proper funding to pimp out, fixed income hams chosen radios.
Aren't we "all" to blame?
All that, should buy you at least 5 more years of "investigations".
The FCC isn't listening to the ham bands. There is no money in it, and no new headlines.
When the FCC fines a broadcast station $345,000 per infraction, and the BC company always pays without appeals. It makes headlines, and congress tells the FCC to keep after those terrible "DJs" from rotting our kids minds. I got news for all of you! ALL YOUR KIDS ARE ROTTEN! It isn't Opie and Anthony rotting their brains!
Don't worry about your tiny, tiny, tiny, microscopic infraction in the "big picture".
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 06:49:12 PM »

I operated for a couple of years on an unallocated frequency with a good group of guys. The FCC was eventually irritated by it all. $50 for no call sign, $50 for too much power, $50 for antenna too high, $50 for talking over 150 miles, $50 for not identifying, $50 for out of band. I think I probably forgot a couple. Lot of cash in the early 70's. Of course, Freeman could have made it worse except he knew most of us. Polite and civil compared to the crap you hear on the ham bands these days.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 07:27:17 AM »

I have recieved two notices in the past  from o.o official observers. Twice i made a mistake in out of band plan and both times just barley and appologized and left the frequency within three or four days I got the white piece of paper like a demerit for running in the hallway in school.

Are you sure they weren't notices from the aliens for your habitual "Scanning the bands / Airwaves hearing old broadcasts from outer space being sent band from Al-lien Worlds"?
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24:25 AM »

Twice i made a mistake in out of band plan and both times just barley
That 11-meter band is just "barley" below the amateur band.  Honest mistake, I'm sure.

AI8IA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »

Just UPGRADE TO EXTRA and you are OK! Cheesy

I'm going to! I'm scoring in the low 90s on practice exams now. The next exam within a hundred miles of me or more is May 7th.....

Thanks for all the feedback on this, all...

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: