The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day and freeloaders  (Read 76751 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2016, 10:10:38 PM »

yea  we have the Feddy the freeloaders too   some come and take up space talk and eat.  

I look at it this way      as most clubs go  its a small percentage that do the work.  most of the freeloaders where part of that working percentage at one time    some not    so I figure  when Im to old to heave antennas and tents  I have the privilege of being that freeloader   I have paid my dues.    

we just  don't get to wrapped up about it.   The biggest battle we have is the  social gathering that seems to congregate in the operating tent and the operators cant hear the rigs for the noise.   so hard rule now is  unless your operating or assisting an op  OUT OF THE TENT!

And to the fellow W5WSS that helped out but was not a member and did not get a lunch,  That just stinks and was bad on the clubs part
    We do not ask for a membership card at the chow line.  and hand out water and drinks to the point of annoyance to anyone at the site.     Its better than someone getting dehydrated.

and it is the right thing to do!  Bravo to you!

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
VE3DVY

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2016, 04:58:36 AM »

I detest laziness, freeloaders, people that contribute nothing and just take.  If a majority of club members fit that description then I will retreat from my involvement. 

I find that most of the So Called freeloaders  where many years ago like me and the other guys that are working hard.  often getting on in age and tired to do much but come out for the social part of Field Day.  I am fairly new to our group   only a member for 8 years and now club president.    we have several that come out, set up a lawn chairs under the social tent and chat offer advice and eat and go home.  At first I saw this as a problem  then as the other old-timers in the group would tell stories  like "Well that guy sitting over there was the mainstay for Field Day for years and years.  nice to see him relax now and watch the young folks take over."  or "did you know that when he was president he  was the one that negotiated with the city to get the repeaters on the water towers and it was because of him we get to use City facilities for events like this for free?"  digging deeper these so called freeloaders I find that they are not that at all.  they have done their dues and now deserve to sit back and enjoy the fun of watching us young eager beavers do the work for a change.  and for them   there is the social tent.  enjoy the burgs and potato salad.   JUST STAY OUT OF THE OPERATING AREA UNLESS YOUR AT A KEY OR MICROPHONE!

lets face it  if the 40-50 hams that show up for our field day where in there trying to help it would be mayhem and confusion. let the core organized group that know what is going on do the work   go sit and if we need you I will call.

Social is definitely a big part of the event.  Read the ARRL description.   

there are very few that come out and do nothing that have not worked hard in the past. 
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2016, 08:42:57 AM »

DVY...I should qualify that I was not pointing out the older, more senior gentlemen that are obviously not able to do the physical things anymore but contribute in other ways such as advice and historical context. The 'lumps' are the guys that are physically capable but naturally lazy, lacking the self pride to even care that they are perceived as such.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: