The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu Ft-60R question  (Read 6671 times)
KM6CVV

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »

Hello,

I purchased a new Yaesu FT-60R.

I notice especially in quiet environments that if I turn the sound all the way down, and then adjust the squelch to an intermediate position that opens and closes the squelch frequently, the result is that I hear an audible click/pop from the speaker whenever the squelch opens/closes. I would think that the volume would control the overall sound output from the device, but perhaps not the squelch-related sounds?

If you have this radio, could you try the above steps and see if this happens for you?

Thank you.

Allan KM6CVV
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:13:44 AM »

As a troubleshooting step, check the setting of menu item #37, "RF Squelch".  It should be set to OFF unless there's a definite need to change it.  Setting it to OFF will confine your squelch control to only the ring under the volume knob.

Hello,

I notice especially in quiet environments that if I turn the sound all the way down, and then adjust the squelch to an intermediate position that opens and closes the squelch frequently, the result is that I hear an audible click/pop from the speaker whenever the squelch opens/closes. I would think that the volume would control the overall sound output from the device, but perhaps not the squelch-related sounds?

If you have this radio, could you try the above steps and see if this happens for you?

Thank you.

Allan KM6CVV
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »

Hello,

Thank you.

Allan KM6CVV

Yes, I just tried it. Sounds akin to a carrier if I hold it up to my ear.

It is a volume knob, but that doesn't necessarily mean that turning it all the way down will make it completely quiet.
KM6CVV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »

Hi.

Yes, I do have item #37, "RF Squelch", set to "Off".

Allan KM6CVV
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »

Yes, I do have item #37, "RF Squelch", set to "Off".

If the audio bleed bothers you, consider trying the RF squelch menu setting instead of using the squelch knob control.  To do so, you should leave your squelch knob on the minimum setting (fully CCW) so that you are hearing static, then set the RF Squelch menu item to a level that stops the static.  

Many modern radios have only a menu-set squelch anymore, the FT-60 has both!  Personally, I think the menu squelch may sacrifice a bit of sensitivity and convenience, but it may solve the issue with the audible annoyance.

(Forgive me for making these suggestions without my own Ft-60 nearby to try them first!)
KM6CVV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

It's only a minor annoyance...mainly, I am wondering whether I have a defective unit, or if this is heard on everyone's FT-60R.

Thanks.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »

I turned the volume on mine down all the way (right up against the detent for the on/off switch) and then adjusted the squelch.  I heard a little bit of crackle when the squelch broke, but it was almost inaudible.  I also noticed I could hear the power-on tones even if the volume was at the minimum point.

I don't look upon this as a defect or even an annoyance. 
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »

I forgot about the start-up tones. I turned off all the beeps almost 2 years ago. I was not a fan.
KM6CVV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:53:06 AM »

Anyone else have a chance to try out this audio/squelch experiment?
Thanks.
-Allan
F4GFT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 03:39:21 AM »

Just tried on my 7 year old unit. I confirm, same behaviour: If volume is turned down ccw and squelch breaks, some crackle is heard. Never noticed it, and don't think of it as an annoyance - in practice, you'd turn the volume to an audible level, and in that case, no crackling noise is heard, just the audio.
KM6CVV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »

Thanks for the confirmation!

It's a very minor thing...I mainly wanted to see if this behavior was specific to my radio.

73, Allan KM6CVV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: