The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec Repairs  (Read 5075 times)
AB1XG

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »

Does anyone know of someone other than Ten Tec who repairs Ten Tec radios?

I have a Corsair II that needs the PTO cleaned/rebuilt. It would be nice to check the xmit/rec alignment as well.

I contacted the "new Ten Tec" a week or so back asking if they had the parts in stock and could they do the repairs and adjustments for me.

They never answered my direct questions, they would only answer with their rates. I asked twice, they replied the same twice.

It's just speculation on my part but considering how high their rates seem to be, perhaps they don't want that part of our business.

David AB1XG
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »

What are Ten Tec repair rates?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:59:36 AM »

What are Ten Tec repair rates?

From the TT website: Any unit sent in for service incurs a minimum charge of $140.00 which includes the first hour of labor, even if the unit is deemed un-repairable. It takes the service department one hour to receive, unpack, set up on the bench, evaluate, estimate the repair, repack and box the unit, prepare shipping documents and prepare the invoice.  If your unit is repaired during this time period there will not be additional labor charges. If further work is required it will be billed at 125.00 per hour in quarter hour increments. Parts and return shipping is charged additionally. It takes on the average two hours to repair a unit.

Whew, no surprise that TT used prices are dropping like a brick. Hard to sell a used Ten-Tec when you have to pay repair dollars like that...

Stan K9IUQ

HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:15:03 PM »

There is another thread that Ten-Tec might be going away. I wanted to buy the PTO rebuild kit but no response. Turns out the parts that wear are not part of the kit anyway. The big problem is just the old grease has become glue. I only disassembled the PTO enough to clean out the old grease and replace.

N5ESE posted these instructions,

http://www.n5ese.com/c21_pto.htm

One person did this to his Corsair and saved a lot of time and effort,

http://www.qsl.net/tentec/mods/pto.htm

These are the general PTO instructions,

http://tentecwiki.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=pto_rebuild.pdf
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 01:20:11 PM »

I guess this gives a literal meaning to Boat Anchor even if Ten-Tecs are not.
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 05:49:30 PM »

At a $140 for the first hour, better have a lot of sentimental value Tongue Unless it is a very obvious repair the owner could have done, you will not get a fixed radio for the initial $140 fee.
AB1XG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 05:04:11 AM »

Interesting comments.

Hamhock75, thanks for the links!
KG4URF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 04:29:35 AM »

If you're still looking for someone, I highly recommend Phil Chambley K4DPK. He repaired my Omni 6 Plus, did a fantastic job, and his rates were very fair.

Doyle
kg4urf
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:35:46 PM »

dissolve out the old glue/grease and redo with white lithium or silicone grease.  that's how you rebuild sticky CX7 PTOs.
AB1XG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »

If you're still looking for someone, I highly recommend Phil Chambley K4DPK. He repaired my Omni 6 Plus, did a fantastic job, and his rates were very fair.

I attempted to contact him through his email address on QRZ, no reply so far ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: