The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CLEGG FM 28[ UNIDEN 2080 ]  (Read 6723 times)
KD6SBN

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »

OUT OF THE BLUE , WHEN YOU KEY UP , the repeater comes on , the power meter show full output , but no sound when talking in mic . i have 2 radio next to each other , so i can test in one and lessen the other .[ separate ant ] . have no reason to believe it is the mic , tested the wires with ohm meter and under power .when using a old fashion ohm meter on the mic element , this element makes some noise .where do i go next , what is the most common failure .this radio is like new , and with your help did install a tone board about a year ago . thanks again .kd6sbn .
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:04 AM »

I'm unclear what you mean.

If you transmit on the Clegg and listen on the Uniden at the same time, with the Uniden listening to the output of a repeater while you're transmitting on the input frequency, that will almost never work.   The Clegg transmitter should desensitize the Uniden receiver badly, rendering it inoperable until you stop transmitting.

Did you tune the Uniden to the Clegg's actual transmitting frequency (the repeater "input" frequency) so you could listen on the actual frequency you're using?
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »

If I recall correctly Steve, the Clegg FM-28 was made by Uniden as the 2080.

I would put clip leads on the mic PTT line and the mic in line (on the radio). Gnd the PTT line (with a dummy load or antenna connected) and then touch the mic line. You should hear a hum on your monitor receiver if the rig is working. Of course, if you have an oscilloscope, I can give you more precise details on how to check the mic preamp etc.
Hams need test equipment.

Dale W4OP
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »

Quote from: KD6SBN

OUT OF THE BLUE , WHEN YOU KEY UP , the repeater comes on , the power meter show full output , but no sound when talking in mic . i have 2 radio next to each other , so i can test in one and lessen the other...

Is the second radio tuned to the output of the repeater, or the output of the radio
being tested?

As Steve said, trying to listen to the repeater in that case won't work at all -
the transmitter will desense the receiver so it can't hear the repeater.

Instead, set both radios to a simplex channel, or set the receiver to listen on the
transmit frequency of the first radio (and make sure any tone squelch is turned
off.)  Then you should hear the modulation if there is any.

KD6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »

if i use the radio on a repeater , the repeater come on , the receiving station hear only a slight hum .now if i use another radio on simplex at same frequency , same thing , just a slight hum , the mike does turn the radio on , the power meter show full power , but no voice out . at the mic , i tried while using mic on switch , and with a jumper connect both side of the mic element , not a sound .there is power into the element , and coming out .will try with a scope to see if i get some activity out of the mic element with noise in it .thank again .
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »

Try to be more accurate in your terminology. When you say there is power at the mic- do you mean DC? Is the mic an electret mic? If it's a dynamic mic and you have DC on it, the element is likely gone.

Dale W4OP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: