The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win10 upgrade time  (Read 51109 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »

After FD-2016 ends Sunday, I plan to upgrade both computers here from Win7 to Win10.
How much time should I expect to spend upgrading one computer?
TIA for any reply.
73 Jerry KM3K
K3GC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »

About an hour - no more than two per device.
Gene K3GC
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »

Gene K3GC

Once you get it started it will take care of itself so you can do other things around the house and just check on it once in a while.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 05:21:54 AM »

Gene K3GC

Guess again. Figure on at very least 1 hour of basic install time  after the download then a few hours of updates on its own. Older the system the slower it will go and with limited ram and a slow old HD it can be very slow and take much longer. I always clone and replace HD before a OS upgrade.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 05:58:25 AM »

Guess again. Figure on at very least 1 hour of basic install time  after the download then a few hours of updates on its own.

That is correct. The update time depends on your installation. The normal upgrade will only kill a few hours for the updates. When I brought up my new laptop, which had Windows 10 pre-installed, the update took about 12 hours. I assume that is because the pre-installed version was pretty old.

Then, you might want to add some time to disable all of the "reporting" options, remove all the junk from the Windows menu, and configure the tool bar. I found that all of the icons, on the screen, in the Windows menu, and in the tool bar were much too large.

Of course, make sure you have all your important data backed up. I upgraded two systems to Windows 10, from Windows 7, and did not lose any data. I had backups, but I never needed them. No data was lost.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »

I've managed to initiate the start of a few of these "upgrades" now,
& if you've got a decent 'net connection, then it's 45 - 60min for the actual ISO download,
then another 20 - 30 min for it to verify that the ISO is A.ok.

after that, if you have a standard, mid spec PC, then the actual install is ~2 - 3 Hrs,
with around 3 re-starts at the 35% mark, for each stage of the installation.
and if you have a better spec machine, then maybe around 90min for the installation.

IMHO - if you have win-8x then do go with the upgrade,
but - - if you have win-7 - - then Don't go with the upgrade , at all.

further more - I've unboxed a few new ones, bought brand new,
and the actual first run can take 30min at least, to perform.
but - then it's another 2 - 3 hrs of updates, before the new machine is stable to use.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:20:01 AM by VK6IS » Logged
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »

This past Thursday I did the windows 10 upgrade to one of my year old Win8.1 laptops. The download of the roughly 3 Gig file took a hair under 6 minutes to do and the entire installation took about 40 minutes to complete. Everything went smoothly and I was up and running with Windows 10 on this laptop in under an hour. Additional updates have been minimal so this download must have incorporated bug fixes and latest security fixes. None of my files were missing; all installed programs that I had on the machine are still working fine. I still have my metro screen if I want to use it, the Vista/Win7 start screen, or my desktop screen to call up programs there.

Pete, wa2cwa
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 12:15:03 PM »

Gene K3GC

That's been my experience too with two WIN7 machines and a WIN8 machine. Zero problems.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »

Huh?? Why is that??
73 Jerry KM3K
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 08:47:16 PM »

Huh?? Why is that??
73 Jerry KM3K

Well I assume he means that there is almost no real advantage with going to Win10 right now.
There are plenty of disadvantages like software and older hardware compatibility.
And of course the built in spyware that no one really knows what it is doing.

If you don't have an issue with everything you type or do on that particular computer possibly ending up in the hands of Microsoft then go for it.  If you have older hardware then you may or may not have issues.  If your doing the upgrade expecting that Win 10 offers some sort of huge improvement over Win7 you will be disappointed.  If your just interested in having the latest and greatest and have nothing confidential on that PC or any other PC networked to it then go for it.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 02:42:44 AM »

Huh?? Why is that??
73 Jerry KM3K

Well I assume he means that there is almost no real advantage with going to Win10 right now.
There are plenty of disadvantages like software and older hardware compatibility.

73s
Rob

apart from that there isn't any real advantage with going to win-10, except for Microsoft itself,
it's that hardware / software compatibility issue(s) as well.

in that I've seen some upgrades from win-8x & they do seem to go well,
but - - those that upgrade from win-7, for some reason, often don't upgrade properly,
& further to that, those that upgraded from win-7 to win8.1 & then upgrade to win-10,
often seem to not upgrade properly - the issue often are minor, but netherless still an issue.
- an issue that bugs the owner of that machine, as it isn't quite right.

then there is those that just downright don't like the shift from win-7 up to win-10,
whereas those that upgraded from win-8x up to win-10, seem to adjust better.

- just my real world observations, on how the end-users are taking to win-10.
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »

I had an issue where my multi RS232 card wouldn't work with Win 10, even though Windows appeared to have the right drivers. I reverted to Win 7 and only recently found a Win 10 RS232 compatible solution (a DeLock USB to Multi RS232 external box).

Other than the RS232 issue, I have zero problems with Win 10.

BTW, you can stop Win 10 phoning home with the freeware program Spybot Anti-Beacon:
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

73 Dave
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 08:17:05 AM »

I had an issue where my multi RS232 card wouldn't work with Win 10, even though Windows appeared to have the right drivers.

I had the same (or similar) issues with my PCIExpress dual RS232 serial card. I bought the card from Newegg (a very popular online computer component retailer in the US) and fortunately they provided a link to the manufacturer's website where I was able to download the proper drivers. It was a 3-step procedure where I had to install the drivers for the card itself and then two more times; one each for each of the two ports. The card was only about $12 USD and unfortunately they don't sell it any more, but there are still plenty of "economy" cards on the market.
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »

The manufacturers drivers worked with Win 10 until the November update... There seemed to be a dearth of RS232 hardware that was Win 10 compatible, that situation is slowly improving but not with my old RS232 card.

73 Dave
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »

thanks for all the replies.
Upgrade Report:
1. the upgrade was done Sunday after FD.
The actual upgrade only took just under an hour with no effort or pains.
Before that was done, just to be prudent, I did backup, to three different media, all "important personal files" into a folder named "backup.y16m06d26".
That effort took several hours to do, mainly due to family pictures.
2. Win10 forced on me MS-defaults and I'm still struggling to fix that aspect; example...for pdf, I want Adobe as the default but have yet to find a way to do that.
3. Turning on the computer, I get a picture instead of my desktop; take two motions to get to the desktop; XYL will grumble about that.
4. I read about MS spying; that needs to be defeated; example...for my #3 above, I was asked if I liked the picture and basically I said "no" to which it said it would try another picture and report my choice or something to that effect. I don't like the spying.
5. As long as I have Google, I can live with it; I understand they spy but it has not harmed me that I know about.
6. The main problem though is XYL; she complained about Win7 and I blame everything on Bill Gates. I'll do the same for Win10.
7. Ham-computer will be next for the upgrade; I suppose I should expect trouble there with drivers for my RS-232 card. 
73 Jerry KM3K
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: