The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win10 upgrade time  (Read 50147 times)
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »

Jerry, couple of points:

In Windows Explorer right click on a pdf file and "open with", you should get a prompt to make your choice (Acrobat) the default.

Spybot Anti-Beacon should put an end to Win 10 calling home, linked in my earlier post.

73 Dave
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »

In Windows Explorer right click on a pdf file and "open with", you should get a prompt to make your choice (Acrobat) the default.
Dave, early this morning, I did try that on a pdf I wanted to open totally expecting just what you said but it merely allows Adobe as one of the choices to open the pdf.

Spybot Anti-Beacon should put an end to Win 10 calling home, linked in my earlier post.
Yes, I remember well looking at it and will go back to try it.

73 Jerry KM3K
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »

Jerry, you can change the default program to open a file type (.pdf for example), but Microsoft has made it more difficult from previous versions of Windows. I've found that once you find what you actually want to do, the dialog boxes are explained better than in previous versions, however. When you manage to find Control Panel, there are about half of what previous versions had. Microsoft clearly wanted to keep basic users from making settings mistakes. A useful shortcut to getting to the details is to use the "Windows" key + x rather than navigating through the start menu.

I configured Windows 10 to be as clean as possible. I disabled one by one those "Metro" tiles, and I shrunk the menu to Windows 7 size in the process. I disabled virtually every optional Microsoft component, and then some. Using the Group Policy Editor, I changed the Update from Automatic to "Download and Choose what to Install by (my) administrative staff" (paraphrasing the dialog box). With no Windows Store, no MS Office or other interfaces, no camera, no microphone, no OneDrive, no linking or sharing with other devices, wireless or otherwise and Cortana set to Off, it resembles Windows 7.

Ted, KX4OM
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »

Addendum to my previous post. The process I used to make sure Cortana does not respawn and open communications again:

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/14416-how-disable-cortana-after-its-been-disabled.html

I don't use the Edge browser.

Ted, KX4OM
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »

A useful shortcut to getting to the details is to use the "Windows" key + x rather than navigating through the start menu.
That's a good start for me that I did not know existed.

I disabled one by one those "Metro" tiles, and I shrunk the menu to Windows 7 size in the process.
I disabled virtually every optional Microsoft component, and then some.
Using the Group Policy Editor, I changed the Update from Automatic to "Download and Choose what to Install by (my) administrative staff" (paraphrasing the dialog box).
With no Windows Store, no MS Office or other interfaces, no camera, no microphone, no OneDrive, no linking or sharing with other devices, wireless or otherwise and Cortana set to Off, it resembles Windows 7.
No clue here what a "Metro" tile is.
I'll see what I can do to shrink too.
Likewise about disabling every optional feature.
I'll watch for the "Group Policy Editor" and do likewise except I have MS-Office, wireless and my XYL wants me to get Skype to talk to her girlfriends.
Ditto for your last sentence.

Addendum to my previous post.
The process I used to make sure Cortana does not respawn and open communications again:
http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/14416-how-disable-cortana-after-its-been-disabled.html
I don't use the Edge browser.
Ted, KX4OM
Even more work for me to do to get this computer ship-shape; then I'll have to do it all over again for the ham-computer. Oh Joy.

Anyway, thanks so much to you and G4AON for expending the time/effort to lay out for me the path forward.
73 Jerry KM3K
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 05:34:48 AM »

No clue here what a "Metro" tile is.
I'll see what I can do to shrink too.
Likewise about disabling every optional feature.
I'll watch for the "Group Policy Editor" and do likewise except I have MS-Office, wireless and my XYL wants me to get Skype to talk to her girlfriends.

I upgraded two Windows 7 systems and one system with Windows 10 Pre-installed, in Dec(2015)/Jan(2016). All of them went fine. No data was lost an all my applications still worked fine. When I did the upgrades/installs, I adjusted everything to look very much like Windows 7. Just like KX4OM did.

Don't worry, you will recognize a "Metro" tile when you see one. They are big an ugly and flash information at you. Again, like KX4OM, I removed/resized everything in the Windows Menu. Note, however, it is possible to break the Windows Menu. I did it several time while configuring my systems. When it is broke, some of your icons will not start anything and disappear when you click on the. This is a known problem and easily fixed.

It seems that the "IconCache.db" file in "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local" gets corrupted (Note that "AppData" is a hidden file). I created the batch file below, saved it in the same directory as "IconCache.db" as "icon_init.bat", and ran it. The file kills the "explorer.exe" task, deletes the "IconCache.db" file, and then restarts the computer.

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
shutdown /r /f /t 00

When you log back in, the menu should work correctly.

The "Taskbar" can also be broken. I had it happen several times. The fix for the "Taskbar" is simply rebooting.

Note that the "Group Policy Editor" is only available on Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education. If you have some other edition, like Windows 10 Home, you will have to use a different method. I have Windows 10 Home on all my systems. It's not that much more work to find all of the configuration items and turn off all the "reporting" switches. For me, most of them were presented to me at install time, so I didn't have to search them all out.

All of the applications that you had previously, should still work. I have Office 2007 on my machines and it works without any issues.

Here is a link to a page that shows you how to uninstall/reinstall many of the Windows 10 built in applications.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

I don't like Cortana either. But remember, if you remove Cortana, by renaming it or deleting it, you will also lose the search capability. I kind of like the search, so I just disabled Cortana. The process is still there, but I don't care.

Note that the Cortana search uses a "Bing" search. There is a configuration item for selecting your search engine, but it only allows you to select "Bing". This carries forward to searches that are transferred to your browser. Even if your default search engine is something else, like "Google", the search will be forced to use "Bing". I use Chrome for browsing and found that there is an extension that you can install called "Chrometana", which redirect any "Bing" searches from Cortana to the search engine of your choice. It works well.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 06:46:20 PM »

Guys this is not a criticism of anybody or what modifications they have done to a fresh copy of Win 10.  I just find it so ironic that everybody on every forum I go to is doing the same things, they are basically trying to make Win 10 into Win 7. And they are downloading and installing as many anti spyware applications along with Win 10 overrides as they can find.
 That alone should be a wake up call to MS as to why the adoption rate is so slow and low.

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »

Guys this is not a criticism of anybody or what modifications they have done to a fresh copy of Win 10.  I just find it so ironic that everybody on every forum I go to is doing the same things, they are basically trying to make Win 10 into Win 7. And they are downloading and installing as many anti spyware applications along with Win 10 overrides as they can find.
 That alone should be a wake up call to MS as to why the adoption rate is so slow and low.

Rob

No, it shows how many have there head in the sand and are stuck in past and cannot begin to understand that in todays theater of new threats that the OS has to be able to update without user approval at times for security because the ones that try to "fix" 10 will be the first to bitch when it has a big problem for a hack. Those afraid of change should stay with XP and cut internet cord.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:29 PM »

---snip---
I upgraded two Windows 7 systems and one system with Windows 10 Pre-installed, in Dec(2015)/Jan(2016). All of them went fine. No data was lost an all my applications still worked fine. When I did the upgrades/installs, I adjusted everything to look very much like Windows 7. Just like KX4OM did.
---snip---

Note that the "Group Policy Editor" is only available on Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education. If you have some other edition, like Windows 10 Home, you will have to use a different method. I have Windows 10 Home on all my systems. It's not that much more work to find all of the configuration items and turn off all the "reporting" switches. For me, most of them were presented to me at install time, so I didn't have to search them all out.

---snip---

Martin, just to clarify, Windows 10 Pro has Group Policy Editor. That is what I have.

Ted, KX4OM
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 02:10:31 AM »

No, it shows how many have there head in the sand and are stuck in past and cannot begin to understand that in todays theater of new threats that the OS has to be able to update without user approval at times for security because the ones that try to "fix" 10 will be the first to bitch when it has a big problem for a hack. Those afraid of change should stay with XP and cut internet cord.

No what it tells you is that people prefer the look and feel of Windows 7 and they are weary of MS snooping and controlling their property.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:24:19 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 06:28:29 PM »

Just updated last Win 7 pro machine to Win 10 pro and it went without the slightest hiccup. (I had planned to take it to 8x but went to 10 instead)

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 05:53:29 AM »

Rob

You what???
What they are doing is making Win 10 usable for them. The babble about new threats is nonsense. THEY HAVE GOT WINDOWS 10 with its latest drivers and kernal tweaks, so engage brain before opening mouth

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 06:52:27 AM »

What they are doing is making Win 10 usable for them. The babble about new threats is nonsense. THEY HAVE GOT WINDOWS 10 with its latest drivers and kernal tweaks, so engage brain before opening mouth

I do, they think they know more than MS about software and yet they will bitch loudest when something goes wrong after they tweak it.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 08:17:16 AM »

Those afraid of change should stay with XP and cut internet cord.

Who are you to decide who is afraid, and of what? You have no idea. Maybe you should get off of your high horse.
... and cue your troll blathering.

Rick KK4GGL
K8CAC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 08:34:19 AM »

Upgraded my Win7Pro to Win 10Pro and I want to clone my hard drive. What is a good clone software to use? I tried the Acronis cloning software but it didn't work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way the Acronis software was a paid-for-use version.

Charley
K8CAC
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: