The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile HF antenna on a Subaru Outback  (Read 6727 times)
KI4TXP

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:24:23 AM »

We have a new 2016 Outback with lots of bells and whistles. I would like to install my IC 7000 rig using my tar heal antenna. I'm thinking I might have to install the antenna on the roof using a mag mount. I'm not sure if that is possible because of all the electronics supposedly around the car.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Oh by the way, I am using a separate battery for power. The battery is charged via the car and a bridge rectifier.This seems to be working fine.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:03:48 AM »

I might have to install the antenna on the roof using a mag mount.

That's either a really small antenna or a really big mag mount.  That can work, but you'll have to augment the ground connection at the mount as magnets don't have enough capacitive coupling at HF.

I'm not sure if that is possible because of all the electronics supposedly around the car.

Doing due diligence is the process you should follow - sturdy antenna mount, dressed lines, bonded panels and driveline, low impedance power source. 

I am using a separate battery for power.

Why?

The battery is charged via the car and a bridge rectifier.This seems to be working fine.

"Seems" is the operative word.  A bridge rectifier has two diode drops which guarantees your auxiliary battery is not getting enough voltage for a complete charge.   So you won't get 100% capacity and the battery will degrade more quickly.  A ballast and a fuse would be the correct way to do this.  Better yet would be to connect to the vehicle source and save all the expense and issues of a separate battery.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KI4TXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:13:22 AM »

Mark, Thanks for all that great info. Yes the mag mount is large. Good thought on the battery and the grounding
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 03:54:52 PM »

You'll find you have all kinds of common mode issues on 80m and may even have some on 40m, especially if using a screwdriver controller if you use a magmount. I used to use a triple magmount at first and the radio would reboot every time I keyed up on 80m with more than 20/30 watts on 80m.
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 07:16:09 AM »

Is that a toy Tarheel or the big boy. I don't think you can hold down a T200 type Tarheel with a mag on the roof. I had a T200 with 8 foot whip on my 2002 Outback and used the trailer hitch. It worked super, still have it and works fine after all the years...Have fun Denny K8KAS
KI4TXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 05:01:02 AM »

Thanks to all. I am still working on suggestions. The mag mount is out I have been able to attach the little Tar Heal on the lift gate.Radio seems to be working A OK at this time . Hard to tell with conditions the way they have been
Thanks again for all the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: