The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for QRP practitioners  (Read 12839 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »

That is why some people still find it interesting, there are many ways to operate.
Besides different modes and bands, you can use vintage equipment, even back to the 40's or older, military rigs, sdr, portable, mobile, mountain top, etc.
You can build a rig from scratch, restore an old rig, buy a new sdr, build a kit, or whatever.

I'm not sure if I read it here, or somewhere else. But I have read that some hams use  "cold war spy radios" for ham radio use. And there was a thread recently about someone using  a real or reproduction German WW II CW transmitter for ham radio use. Maybe someone might remember that thread.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
HIPPO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 10:46:01 PM »

Apologies if this sounds repetitive - I wanted to emphasize a point:  The HOA thing sure seems to come up a lot, and that makes things challenging right off the bat.  If you're stuck with a badly-compromised antenna from the start due to HOA rules, combining that with QRP will be deeply frustrating.  QRP is my only real interest in this hobby, and I know that, with that self-imposed limitation, the antenna becomes exponentially more important, and, for me, working portably is then a requirement.  If you cannot set up a good antenna at home and don't intend to operate portably, it would be a sorely missed opportunity for you not to get the 100 watt radio now, "downgrade" later if you really feel the need.

If you are okay with working portably, though, that changes everything Tongue
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:50:31 PM by HIPPO » Logged

You can teach anything except attitude.
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 10:25:16 PM »

An aside for the FT817ND owners, does it have some protection for the PA transistors ?
My FT-817 sure didn't Sad
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 11:16:02 PM »

This 'BOONIES" suggestion is relative.... it might mean a short ride to your local park......no need to get a 4-wheel drive and smash down trees and brush to get to your operating spot.  Unless you want to of course.

One other thing....if you go local.....take your ticket for the cops and your handgun for the rest.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 12:43:36 AM »

If you cannot set up a good antenna at home and don't intend to operate portably, it would be a sorely missed opportunity for you not to get the 100 watt radio now, "downgrade" later if you really feel the need.

If you are okay with working portably, though, that changes everything Tongue
I did a SOTA with a friend with an FT-857 and I was surprised it is not much bigger than an FT-817.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 06:09:49 AM »

My niche is Portable within the QRP niche itself, according to my log book for the past 5 years about 78% of my 2x QRP contacts have all been with other portable QRP-CW stations both stateside and DX and any where from outside patio to SOTA/ISLA and anywhere in between. After all who wants to spend 9 months of relatively nice weather stuck  in an in home station unless you have physical disabilities? Even in winter the majority of my QRP ops are while winter camping/X country skiing or from my ice fishing shack on the lake. 
HIPPO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 07:01:48 PM »

An aside for the FT817ND owners, does it have some protection for the PA transistors ?
My FT-817 sure didn't Sad

I haven't had any issues with a very early model 817ND regarding the transistors, but I did have a power supply trace turn to ash on the circuit board.  I was thankful that the radio has been around long enough for people to figure a bunch of this stuff out - I found a description of how to repair the fault myself on someone's blog post.  Scary as !@#$ with a magnifying glass and tweezers trying to lay a blob of solder across that tiny joint, but it worked, and my radio is as solid as it ever was, for now Smiley

I understand some changes were made to the finals during the ND upgrade - ostensibly to make them more robust.

You can teach anything except attitude.
AB1LT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 07:38:02 AM »

I did a SOTA with a friend with an FT-857 and I was surprised it is not much bigger than an FT-817.
Yeah, but the weight difference is big, especially if you factor in batteries because the 857 has 2X the current draw during Rx and probably 4X more during transmitting compared to the 817.
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »

Didn't bother that guy a bit - a big active duty Marine. He beat me to the summit by several minutes and I was carrying my featherweight QRP stuff. Smiley He did good work with 100 watts on SSB, but the 857 also shut my little radio down whenever he talked. Shocked Next time we'll separate a bit more - like by a day.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:58:41 PM by JS6TMW » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: