The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Venting: QRP calling frequency misuse  (Read 23760 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 04:59:26 AM »

Try 30 meters, plenty of room for QRPers.
KG6LI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 11:09:08 AM »

I've been a QRP'er for a while now, and about half the contacts I make on the QRP frequencies are QRO stations. The reality is in these horrible solar conditions sometimes I need the other station's beam to put it together. QRP to QRP are pretty infrequent on the west coast so I really don't get too wound up over the incursion. Lord knows I head over to their frequencies in search of a QSO all of the time.... As the SFI bottoms out in the 60's any contact is going to be a winner....

Mark - KG6LI
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:52:17 PM by KG6LI » Logged
VK3YE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »

14 MHz is no place for a crystal controlled transmitter. 

While many get sold as kits they almost never get their builders more than a handful of contacts.

Frequency agility is king.

That's because with QRP you're usually the weaker station.

To have any chance at all you need to put yourself on a clear frequency but one where it is likely other stations are listening.

Typically contacts are made by finding and calling others on THEIR frequency.

Very often these are QRO stations with good antennas.

Their strong signal clears the frequency (preventing others starting up nearby) while their beam antennas provide directionality against interference.

Both make your weaker signal stand out compared to if another QRP station on an off-frequency direct conversion receiver is trying to pick you amongst
a babble of other signals around 14.060. 

Here's a series of videos I did on making contacts. They discuss frequencies, bandplans, methods of making contacts and other things not in the exams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RveMJCvSRiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_UUZO8VrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7xxXUYIlao

Some might also enjoy my ebook 'Minimum QRP'.  Its operating chapter is perhaps the most detailed available today on the tactics for making contacts with QRP.  It costs about the same as a Pixie kit.  Details at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/miniqrp.htm

73, Peter VK3YE

Peter VK3YE

One ham radio post each day. Visit http://dailyantenna.blogspot.com
Author of top selling $US 5 amateur radio ebooks on antennas, QRP, getting started and more. See http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/vk3yebooks.htm
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »

There are many QRP calling frequencies; depending upon which organization you're asking and where they are. Some clubs have organized their own versions. Even some Facebook groups have their own.

Just Google "QRP calling frequencies" and you'll see what I mean. Asking everyone else to stay off whichever particular version you think is yours seems unproductive.

I just stay around xx.035 for normal speed CW or around xx.110 if I'm in the mood to chat with someone who wants to go slower. Band conditions right now are not conducive to this but one never can tell.

Can one?

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »

This subject is much more complex than most realize.

There's been a welcome trend away from designating frequencies or band portions for specific purposes, and the League has said that. For some reason the perfectly useful 160 meter DX window is no longer recognized by the League. The 75-meter window is hanging by a thread. Most vary with the season, the time of day, the stage of the sunspot cycle, etc.

A few designated frequencies serve vital purposes. For example, Channel 5, the DX Channel on 60-meters, is the only frequency many countries have in common. Generally QSYing on 60 isn't an option. (60 is channelized in most, but not all countries). But no one tells American ragchewers to get off Channel 5 at high noon or in the summer. These things can't be rigid.

Personally I see no reason for a QRP frequency on 20 meters unless the whole world signs on to it. It's just going to cause fights. Want a clear freq? QSY up or down 2 KHz. I sometimes QRP DX with as little as 100 mW but I don't demand a clear frequency for that quirky pursuit... certainly not on 20-meters.     

Not to mention that the 20M AM freq is 1khz away from the QRP freq...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 04:33:15 PM »

The problem with 'gentleman's agreements' is the preponderance of narcissists.

72 de Ray
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »

The JARL Field Day suggested CW frequencies for 20 and 15 straddle the QRP freqs, so if the propagation is good this weekend you could hear lots of JAs. 40 is jammed with FDers too but I really doubt they will hear a QRP US station.

Steve in Okinawa
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »

The problem is many assume QRP=CW.   To me its all modes.  My preference is
QRP SSB and on any band phone its permitted and its good fun. 

As to rock bound.  Some modes its a fact of life for minimalist but it needn't be.
I run a Kitsandparts 1W and while rock bound it has a good VXO that really works.
I'd add  one neat little radio.  For 40M SSB a KNQ7A also has rocks but also does
VXO in the 7.145-170 (or high end of the band with different rock) region.

Even a small amount of tuning is very useful for QRM reasons or because the frequency
is in use.  Also useful when the other guy is also rock bound and both stuck and slightly
off frequency.  Novices were stuck with rocks as back then knowing what frequency you
were on was not a quick consult with high resolution counter.  VFOs back then were
drift laden.  We  have the technology or at least measurement tools why be stuck!
Even then then the novice could at least tune his RX,

Since I find it a pointless (just a personal opinion) to strand myself in any part of
the spectrum I build all my HB stuff to tune at least some.   It always seems the
best contacts are not limited to a few small spots.

Oddly there are tons of high power stations and 100watters with stuck knobs
that seems to behave like they are rock bound. 

Allison
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »

Last week I bought a Yaesu FT-817ND from DX Engineering.  I'm low on testosterone so their sale price plus the rebate from Yaesu sucked me in.  Today I tried it on 20 meters on the designated 20 meter QRP frequency using battery power and 2.5 watts.  I didn't hear any one so after questioning if the frequency was in use, I tried a CQ.  I then got a response that the frequency was in use from a strong signal.  I listened and found out it was from a 1X2 call sign, which I wrote down, but won't mention, and he was in Colorado (I'm in Texas) and running a 1,000 watts.  Seriously?  why do we have a band plan? 

Do we need a forum called "Toads" where we list the call signs, date and time, of these lids?

I'm sitting here with my mouse pad/ ARRL US Amateur Radio Band sheet.....big too, 17 x 11...pretty colors....and I can't find any mention at all about QRP freqs.....is it outdated?
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 06:22:08 PM »

ARRL ?   they are not a good representative of low power, home brewers and have not been for a long time, at least since the days of Doud Demaw and the solid state design book . Ymmv

A quick Google of QRP calling frequencies, or look-up a long standing club like QRP ARCI, or reference the newer (and VERY cool) SOTA & etc. That would be more on target.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:49:23 PM by W7ASA » Logged
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 04:45:26 AM »

I'm sitting here with my mouse pad/ ARRL US Amateur Radio Band sheet.....big too, 17 x 11...pretty colors....and I can't find any mention at all about QRP freqs.....is it outdated?

Upon closer inspection you will find that the ARRL color band plan is simply a reflection of the regulatory provisions for amateur radio frequency allocations by the FCC. None of the voluntary band plans, including QRP, are included.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »

Try 30 meters, plenty of room for QRPers.

And this is true. In addition, with lower sunspots, it's more likely to be open during daytimes.

Plus I tend to answer CQs (pounce) more than calling (unless I am interested in the RBN skimmers to see if the band is open).

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 08:13:56 AM »

I'll ask again. What is the CURRENT worldwide 20 meter QRP frequency and can someone provide a link to it?  
I already posted a link in my last post.
Here again is the ARRL's Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf

Here's the plan for 20 meters from the guide.

14.060 QRP CW calling frequency

14.070-14.095 RTTY/Data
14.095-14.0995 Automatically controlled data stations
14.100 IBP/NCDXF beacons
14.1005-14.112 Automatically controlled data stations
14.230 SSTV
14.233 D-SSTV
14.236 Digital Voice
14.285 QRP SSB calling frequency
14.286 AM calling frequency

Dang it! I didn't notice a suggested frequency for the considerate contester! Bully!
W2UIS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 07:58:48 AM »

I have been monitoring 14.285 for the past week. Nothing not even a reply to my CQs. !4.285 can be use by anyone not just QRP operators, remeber this a band plan not law. On September 11 I will be hosting a Regional 20 Meter net for the American Legion on 14.285 at 4pm EDT. I chose this frequency in the hope of generating QRP contacts during the net. We shall see if I can wake up this frequency. Please join me on the net.
AB1LT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: