The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Venting: QRP calling frequency misuse  (Read 23775 times)
WA2ASB

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:21:33 PM »

Last week I bought a Yaesu FT-817ND from DX Engineering.  I'm low on testosterone so their sale price plus the rebate from Yaesu sucked me in.  Today I tried it on 20 meters on the designated 20 meter QRP frequency using battery power and 2.5 watts.  I didn't hear any one so after questioning if the frequency was in use, I tried a CQ.  I then got a response that the frequency was in use from a strong signal.  I listened and found out it was from a 1X2 call sign, which I wrote down, but won't mention, and he was in Colorado (I'm in Texas) and running a 1,000 watts.  Seriously?  why do we have a band plan? 

Do we need a forum called "Toads" where we list the call signs, date and time, of these lids?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »

I give up. What frequency is it and who designated THE 20 meter QRP frequency.

" the designated 20 meter QRP frequency."
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:56:28 PM »

I would be more concerned there was no activity on the band. There are several nominated frequencies such as QRP on 14.060, FISTS on 14.058, but no group "owns" these frequencies. I am just glad to work anyone, QRP or QRO.

73 Dave
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 12:19:01 AM »

Last week I bought a Yaesu FT-817ND from DX Engineering.  I'm low on testosterone so their sale price plus the rebate from Yaesu sucked me in.  Today I tried it on 20 meters on the designated 20 meter QRP frequency using battery power and 2.5 watts.  I didn't hear any one so after questioning if the frequency was in use, I tried a CQ.  I then got a response that the frequency was in use from a strong signal.  I listened and found out it was from a 1X2 call sign, which I wrote down, but won't mention, and he was in Colorado (I'm in Texas) and running a 1,000 watts.  Seriously?  why do we have a band plan? 

Do we need a forum called "Toads" where we list the call signs, date and time, of these lids?

That's awful.  No one should be running a KW on a QRP designated frequency!  The only good note is that the lid obviously heard your 2.5 Watt signal in Colorado!!  Roll Eyes
AB1LT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:34:20 AM »

Seriously?  If you're not aware of the Band Plans and suggested frequencies you must piss off a lot of people when you operate.

No, the Band Plans are suggested and not law, but we should be using them for guidance.

Here's the ARRL's Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 07:11:39 AM »

Seriously?  If you're not aware of the Band Plans and suggested frequencies you must piss off a lot of people when you operate.
Not to disparage K0OD, but you would be amazed how few Amateur Operators know this sort of thing...  I would suspect that over 50% of the active HF hams do not know the QRP frequency...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »

I'll ask again. What is the CURRENT worldwide 20 meter QRP frequency and can someone provide a link to it? 

I'm an active QRP contester, often QRPP. Even on 40 where there's a lot more QRP operation several QRP frequencies have been SUGGESTED over the years.  Most fell from use decades ago, especially as more QRP stations used VFOs.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »

I'll ask again. What is the CURRENT worldwide 20 meter QRP frequency and can someone provide a link to it? 

I'm an active QRP contester, often QRPP. Even on 40 where there's a lot more QRP operation several QRP frequencies have been SUGGESTED over the years.  Most fell from use decades ago, especially as more QRP stations used VFOs.
If you have some inkling as to the answer, share it please, no need poo poo someone for sharing what they believe to be an answer, and at your request too boot...  Someone was kind enough to try and answer your question, repay that kindness.

Thanks,
Dave
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 09:24:07 AM »

This subject is much more complex than most realize.

There's been a welcome trend away from designating frequencies or band portions for specific purposes, and the League has said that. For some reason the perfectly useful 160 meter DX window is no longer recognized by the League. The 75-meter window is hanging by a thread. Most vary with the season, the time of day, the stage of the sunspot cycle, etc.

A few designated frequencies serve vital purposes. For example, Channel 5, the DX Channel on 60-meters, is the only frequency many countries have in common. Generally QSYing on 60 isn't an option. (60 is channelized in most, but not all countries). But no one tells American ragchewers to get off Channel 5 at high noon or in the summer. These things can't be rigid.

Personally I see no reason for a QRP frequency on 20 meters unless the whole world signs on to it. It's just going to cause fights. Want a clear freq? QSY up or down 2 KHz. I sometimes QRP DX with as little as 100 mW but I don't demand a clear frequency for that quirky pursuit... certainly not on 20-meters.     
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »

This subject is much more complex than most realize.

There's been a welcome trend away from designating frequencies or band portions for specific purposes, and the League has said that. For some reason the perfectly useful 160 meter DX window is no longer recognized by the League. The 75-meter window is hanging by a thread. Most vary with the season, the time of day, the stage of the sunspot cycle, etc.

A few designated frequencies serve vital purposes. For example, Channel 5, the DX Channel on 60-meters, is the only frequency many countries have in common. Generally QSYing on 60 isn't an option. (60 is channelized in most, but not all countries). But no one tells American ragchewers to get off Channel 5 at high noon or in the summer. These things can't be rigid.

Personally I see no reason for a QRP frequency on 20 meters unless the whole world signs on to it. It's just going to cause fights. Want a clear freq? QSY up or down 2 KHz. I sometimes QRP DX with as little as 100 mW but I don't demand a clear frequency for that quirky pursuit... certainly not on 20-meters.     
I must say, I agree totally with you...  There is really no need for a QRP frequency...  As you say, there are multi entities trying to control it, and none are...  When I run QRP, I fond the strongest station and answer them, most of the time I get them...  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
AB1LT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 01:48:33 PM »

I already posted a link in my last post.
Here again is the ARRL's Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf

Here's the plan for 20 meters from the guide.

14.060 QRP CW calling frequency
14.070-14.095 RTTY/Data
14.095-14.0995 Automatically controlled data stations
14.100 IBP/NCDXF beacons
14.1005-14.112 Automatically controlled data stations
14.230 SSTV
14.233 D-SSTV
14.236 Digital Voice
14.285 QRP SSB calling frequency
14.286 AM calling frequency
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »

Can't ever remember using the QRP SSB calling frequency on any band.
There is usually crud on it so I go  elsewhere.

Generally I get it there and try to fid a QSO I can tailend, instigate, or
the ultimate respond to a CW.  Failing that I find some DX and try to
bust my way through the pile up QRP, I'm usually successful if only
by persistence.  I do cheat, I use a full size antenna as high up as possible
and the FT817 or Argonaut 505 at full power (5W).  Wink

I also use the ultimate trick, I don't tell them I'm QRP unless they ask,

Allison
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »

Hilarious!

"14.285 QRP SSB calling frequency
 14.286 AM calling frequency"

That's certainly going to promote harmony.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »

Hilarious!

"14.285 QRP SSB calling frequency
 14.286 AM calling frequency"

That's certainly going to promote harmony.
   Harmony?  You mean harmonics!  Roll Eyes
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 04:43:45 PM »

No! Heterodynes!  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: