The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick a Flavor  (Read 6576 times)
KOP

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »

OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64/x86_64 - Distro: Debian 7.8 - CPU: 8 x Intel Xeon (3000.000 MHz) - Processes: 210 - Uptime: 10d 9h 48m - Users: 2 - Load Average: 0.82 - Memory Usage: 3145.75MB/32247.37MB (9.76%) - Disk Usage: 2266.79GB/3948.30GB (57.41%)

This is a HP-XW8600 work station . My bit is the trailing edge bang for the buck beast .

I refuse to do battle with entrenched M$ ignorance . If anyone wants to talk *Nix , *bsd , Sol , I'd love to hear your particular perversion . :-)

I'm not posting to bash M$ I'm posting to share the wealth of alternative OS experience that exists here .

AF7XT Dennis

I considered a microwave oven magnetron and a 4' dish as a drone-killer. The ERP would be on the order of a hundred thousand watts or so. ~anon

November 28, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »

I've been using Linux for about 15 years. A work colleague gave me a Xandros disk (are they still around) to mess around with and haven't looked back since, I was running Windows 98SE at the time and didn't like the way MS was going. I have tried various types, they all seem pretty good, but I've settled on Ubuntu these days, Ubuntu 14.04LTS on the desktop which is very fast indeed, using a SSD it makes it a very fast computer for an old one.

I use the Ubuntu MATE desktop on the 12 year old netbook I use for the log book, also with a SSD and that works flawlessly.

KOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 01:55:34 PM »

Paul,
      I to use the Mint Desktop over Ubuntu or Debian (for more complex spindle arrangements) . Several of my Panasonic ToughBooks use a straight Mint 17 .

My real number crunching takes place in FreeBSD . My odd hardware is usually NetBSD . My routers are OpenBSD . I still play with Solaris as I am like they once were, "a solution in search of a problem"(or a problem in search of ...). Right tool for the job or something like that .

I actually enjoy some of the deficiencies of *Nix et all as I enjoy a bit of a puzzle . Some M$ applications have no Open Source counterpart so a bit  of creative GPL license ensues . I'm no coder or creator but I can hack snippets from any number of authors to get what I need (remembering to give credit where credit is due). Currently I'm adding functionality to various *SDR offerings from numerous sources trying to get what I want to display on a 4K touch.

Web SDR from Pieter-Tjerk de Boer http://www.websdr.org/ has consumed a bit of time as of late and gives one ideas .

The current crop of LDMOS Kilo plus amplifiers under processor control to keep them alive as well as drive 3rd imd products down to where they belong is a future project .

A neighborhood mesh wireless project in also in the works . Share files as well as real time video ? I was a little surprised when ALL of the logins from the neighborhood to the open WAP were from *Nix/*BSD machines .

Just some random thoughts from the *Nix toolbox

AF7XT Dennis

I considered a microwave oven magnetron and a 4' dish as a drone-killer. The ERP would be on the order of a hundred thousand watts or so. ~anon

KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »

It is amazing how this SDR has been developed from scratch. Just Wow!

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Ted, KX4OM
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 06:14:56 PM »

I am using OpenSUSE for my daily laptop.

I have been a UNIX guy for work but have always run Windows pc's. I now run Linux full time. I am finding that there is nothing that I used to do on Windows that I cannot do on Linux.  The first week, I installed a Windows virtual machine, like a security blanket. But I find that I now just fire it up so it will update then shut it down. I don't use it anymore. MS Exchange has a web interface and Evolution works fine as well. Libre Office works just fine also.  

I am now considering switching my ham laptop to Linux as that is the only Win machine in the house now outside of the above mentioned VM.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »

I am not going to bash MS but I will state that IMO MS is going to be in a lot of problems in a few years.  Many of the younger kids that I know are using Linux.  It's become cool to be a Linux user and write code for Linux based apps, the same way it was cool to do apps for Windows in the 1990s.

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 09:30:30 PM »

It is amazing how this SDR has been developed from scratch. Just Wow!

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Ted, KX4OM

http://www.kiwisdr.com/KiwiSDR/
http://kiwisdr.ece.uvic.ca:8073/
In a Virtual Machine or M$
http://www.hdsdr.de/

kewl stuff :-)

AF7XT Dennis

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 03:22:06 AM »

I was running "Easy Peasy" on the Eee PC. I couldn't install anything else because the SSD hard drive was only 4 GB. So I was able to swap the HD out for a larger SSD 16 GB hard drive and install the latest version of Linux Mint on it with one minor issue. It seems to run a bit hotter now.

Now I have to configure PuTTY on it so I could use this for a portable and compact Packet Radio Station. I already got the 12 volt power cord for it.

I had PuTTY all set up on Easy Peasy, I know it works fine. So I expect no issues with Linux Mint. Also the USB to serial adapter worked fine pretty much out of the box with 'Easy Peasy' and I expect the same for Linux Mint.

I have used different distros of Linux Mint through the years. Everything works, including the wifi.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 12:33:17 PM »

Started playing with Slackware 20 years ago.  Jumped into Debian a few years later.  Now I've moved on to Devuan.  I've experimented with others but always come back to the Debian fold.  Everything just fit and worked well together, but I just can't abide systemd hence giving Devuan a whirl and liking it.

I've about lost count of the number of computers and devices I have running Linux.  A very solid system that I've never regretted jumping into.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »

Started playing with Slackware 20 years ago.  Jumped into Debian a few years later.  Now I've moved on to Devuan.  I've experimented with others but always come back to the Debian fold.  Everything just fit and worked well together, but I just can't abide systemd hence giving Devuan a whirl and liking it.

I've about lost count of the number of computers and devices I have running Linux.  A very solid system that I've never regretted jumping into.

Devuan, I might give that a try, I'll download it early one morning so it doesn't eat into my bandwidth too much.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 06:24:19 PM »

Started playing with Slackware 20 years ago.  Jumped into Debian a few years later. 

I've been using Linux (started with Debian 2.0, downloaded over a dial-up and installed & booted from floppies -- not fun!) since 1998, and Slackware since 2000.  I've also used later Debians, as well as Red Hat 5.2 & 8, SuSE 6.2, a few versions of Mandrake/Mandriva, and Ubuntu.  I now use Mint, Slackware, and Raspian, depending on the machine and what I'm using it for.

Now I've moved on to Devuan.  I've experimented with others but always come back to the Debian fold.  Everything just fit and worked well together, but I just can't abide systemd hence giving Devuan a whirl and liking it.

I'd never heard of Devuan until you mentioned it.  It just seems to me that it exists because someone is having a hissy fit because he hates systemd.  I don't understand what's the big deal about it.  It's an init system, one of about half a dozen.  It is not a religion.  Mint uses it, Slackware doesn't.  I have no problems with either.  Just call me neutral on the "non-issue."

Everything I have is Linux and has been for years, save for my newest laptop that dual-boots Mint 17.3 and Windows 10 Pro... for now... and my girlfriend's Mac, in which I run Mint inside VirtualBox.  No issues there either.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 01:14:46 AM »

For the 'daily driver' and radio computer I have Mint-Mate v17.3 64-bit.

For experimenting with music and media I have Ubuntu Studio which features the Xfce desktop.

For virtual guest machines in VirtualBox I have Debian, usually with the Mate or Xfce desktop.

I'm also evaluating Mint-Mate v18 and have an installation of Windows for those occasional apps that just won't run on anything else. My preferred method is to have an OS on it's own hard disk and select on boot.

I have cyanogenmod on a tablet, but I've not yet fully warmed up to that OS yet. I just don't like advertisements in an application.

-K
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 07:55:17 AM »

Started using Ultrix and Digital Unix in 1995 in college. Started with Solaris around 1997. I first put slack on an old 386 in 1996.

Around 1998 I started playing around with Solaris for x86 and but got tired of chasing down compatible hardware. Went back to Linux with Red Hat and have been hooked since then.

Have been using LMDE with Cinnamon for a few years as my everyday driver for my main workstation.

I also manage a few servers running CentOS, it's been my go-to distro for that kind of thing.

ex W4HFK
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »

I have been trying various flavors of Linux off and on since 1995. I currently have two machines that I dual boot with Win 7. My digital computer is quad core 8 Gig just moved it all to a Solid State drive. My main machine is upgrading from a 6 core AMD to a 16 core AMD this weekend. Wind 7 should have a minor increase but Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) should really rock. I got a 500GB Solid State drive on a PCI interface to install and it should blaze. Most of my operation is in Win 7 but I like to install all the programs that come from the Linux archive.

Larry in El Paso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: