The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Simple Logging Software  (Read 5555 times)
AE8RS

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:14:03 AM »

I'm a relatively new ham. I'm mostly using digital modes until I learn CW and until I get my antenna up a bit. My radio is an Alinco DX-SR8 (no CAT). I'm trying to find a simple logging software (Windows) to record PSK31 and JT65. All the loggers I've seen focus on their integration and CAT control, etc. It seems really complication and it's something I won't be able to use right now. Does there exist something really straight forward?

Randall
KD8VMZ
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:24:28 AM »

Well the "integrated" logging solutions may seem like overkill right now, you still may want to consider one of them anyway. Just because a program has the ability to connect to your radio, doesn't mean you have to use it.

However....

If you do get a new radio at some point in the future, it will just be a matter of enabling that feature on the logging program. That way you won't have to learn a new program and transfer your log files to another program.
AE8RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »

Is there one you recommend that can look simple, and then have all the bells and whistles turned on later? Many look really complicated on first startup...
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »

The DXKeeper module of DX Labs is free: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/. You can use as much or as little of the logging information that you want. I don't use any of  the "JT" modes, but for a "normal" contact, all you need is your callsign,  the other operator's call sign, the date and time (in UTC), the band (you do not need the frequency) and the mode.

There are several other modules that are part of DX Labs and are also free.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 03:55:46 PM »

N1mm logger will fit your needs
AE8RS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 10:45:40 AM »

I'll take a look at DXKeeper and N1mm, thanks, guys!
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »

Log4OM is free and integrates nicely to Fldigi (also free). Like most logging programs it can be complex if you want it to be...

By the way, N1MM is aimed at contest ops, I don't think it is a good general purpose log program. All modern log programs can export your data via ADIF to import into another log program, so you can try a few for several days without needing to manually enter QSOs a second time.

You will probably need a couple of weeks to get used to any log program, so don't be in a hurry to chop and change.
KG1V

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:06:03 AM »

Another logging program you might consider is ACLog, part of the suite of software developed by N3FJP.

Good luck,

George
KG1V
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 06:00:10 AM »

How about the free web-based log on QRZ dot com? It works very well, indeed.

73 de Steve KE4OH
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »

Changed to Log4OM some months ago. Easy to use and lot of nice features that can be enabled when you need them.
JBIRD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »

Based on this thread, I'm giving the log4om a try and like it. Fairly straight forward and adds call lookup convenience. I already had omnirig running with my panadapter setup so log4om knows what mode/freq I'm on and has it filled in.
F4GFT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 03:47:38 AM »

Logging programs are mostly a matter of taste, there are many good one's out there. If you're new to ham radio, you probably don't know yet what is really important for you logging-wise. I therefore recommend to go for a program with good ADIF export support (this does exclude using qrz.com I believe). This will allow you to migrate your date to the logging program you'll eventually settle for.

I'm still using the K7SU Excel log, and got myself a converter to ADIF (lor LOTW) and Cabrillo (for contests), but I would recommend something more mainstream.
VU3DES

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 01:05:50 AM »

Log4OM is free and integrates nicely to Fldigi (also free). Like most logging programs it can be complex if you want it to be...

I am new to logging too.  I have recently started using Log4OM and it is really good and easy to setup.  I dont use CAT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: