The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lastest Win 10 build Installed  (Read 19864 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:29:23 AM »

I just installed the latest build or update of WIN 10 last nite.(from version 1511 to 1607) It takes some time to install with a few reboots but up and running with no issues. Changes to start panel are visible (for better I think) and no big surprises and works same as before otherwise. I will dig into it of next several days. One machine down and 3 more to go. I will update them when I next use them.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:20:00 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:09:45 PM »

Where does one find the OS version #? I looked in the usual System Info but didn't see it.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »

i have noticed with my Windows 10 PC that even after i set Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, it almost weekly undoes my setting... maybe after every update(?)...  i find it annoying, anyone have a work around or experience the same?

also, are updates on 10 automatic and you cannot choose which ones like with 7?  I went to change my update settings and lately it only has an option for how they are delivered and whether to notify me of a needed restart before just doing it on me...

i use spybot anti-beacon but note that it often wont respond after a Windows update and i end up having to do a restart to get it to load...  anyone know if MS has implemented things to thwart or disable SpyBot anti-beacon?

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »

Where does one find the OS version #? I looked in the usual System Info but didn't see it.

It will say build 1607 when you download it. It is a big download nearly size of first release of 10 (build 1511) and takes some time to install and a couple of reboots too.

K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »

I use the WIN + R key and then type in "winver", without the quotes. It will pop up a window with the version number.

i have noticed with my Windows 10 PC that even after i set Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, it almost weekly undoes my setting... maybe after every update(?)...  i find it annoying, anyone have a work around or experience the same?

This is mostly the fault of Cortana. The default search engine for Cortana is Bing and even if you set your browser default to anything else, you will get a Bing search. There is a selection in Cortana for selecting your preferred search engine, but it only has Bing in the list. Currently I have Cortana disabled except for the search capability. I never enable the microphone and the audio out is always disabled. They say the new update will prevent disabling Cortana, but no one is sure of anything. I guess we will see when the update happens.

One way to get around it is to install Chrome and then install a extension called Chrometana. I don't know if Firefox has the same extension. This forces a override of the Bing searches and changes them to the search engine of your choice. While you at it, install AdBlock Plus at the same time.

also, are updates on 10 automatic and you cannot choose which ones like with 7?  I went to change my update settings and lately it only has an option for how they are delivered and whether to notify me of a needed restart before just doing it on me...  

The system can be set to notify you that a update is available and that you need to reboot. But it schedules a reboot for a specific time and if you don't check it, you might get a surprise. I don't like being interrupted, so I set the scheduled time to "Tomorrow at 2:00 AM". However, I am never up at 2:AM and my computer is always asleep. So no reboot happens. Then I can choose when I want the reboot to happen. It can get very insistent if you put it off for too long.

i use spybot anti-beacon but note that it often wont respond after a Windows update and i end up having to do a restart to get it to load...  anyone know if MS has implemented things to thwart or disable SpyBot anti-beacon?  

I have no idea about SpyBot, because I don't use SpyBot. I just made sure that, everything that wanted to report back to MS (or whoever) was disabled. I have been using Windows 10 since December 2015, and haven't seen any of my setting change. I also use the Task Manager to make sure the OS didn't start up some extra junk.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:47:22 PM »

Martin, all of the stuff that Windows 10 Pro users disabled previously cannot be disabled in in Windows 10 1607. Only Enterprise and Education are allowed to turn off the telemetry, the ads, Cortana, "tips" pop-ups and a litany of other things. The Anniversary Update is a downgrade for Win10 Pro users. I consider it a nasty trick played on Pro users with the "free" upgrades from Win7.

Fortunately, I was able to delay the Upgrade (it is actually called that in the Updates box) for at least 4 months, which puts me in the Business Branch. I'll be watching closely for work-arounds developed by individual contributors. This was a shameless scam by Microsoft, IMHO.

Ted, KX4OM
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »

The Anniversary Update is a downgrade for Win10 Pro users. I consider it a nasty trick played on Pro users with the "free" upgrades from Win7.

As usually people that are pretty clueless about OS updates and changes and their reason ALWAYS assume gloom and doom and hidden agendas. Since they are clueless they bitch it is bad and answer is to move backwards.

What totally escapes these poster and others like him is that MS is pushing 10 out not for reasons poster thinks but because Win 7 is a dead end and MS will die if it does not move beyond it. (it clung to 7 too long and that mentality hurt them badly in smart-phone world) 7 is not viable at all on todays cross platform environment and has NO SUPPORT for the new cross platform friendly programing API that is replacing WIN32 API that has on cross platform support. FYI Win 8x and 10 DO NOT have WIN32/64 API library in them. It has been replaced with a new standard that at this time provides lgacy support for old WIN32/64 API apps if they are properly written and compiled.

One more thing, you should see the "data" your smart phone OS collects for performance and future bug fixes. 10 is more actively monitoring code performance to further develop it. Also if you read up on 1607 build you will find unlike first build this one is tailored for hardware it is running on to work better on old hardware based on performance data.

The clueless cry foul the most and then likely post on FB which snoops EVERYTHING you do. 

K5PHW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »

Have you always been a total ahole?  Cheesy
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »

Have you always been a total ahole?  Cheesy

Why because I do not buy into gloom and doom or lament Win 7 dying? There was a time when Hams were on cutting edge of new technology in computers but today the are afraid of change and lot for excuses to justify moving backwards rather than forward. Any a-holes here are ones saying do not upgrade and stay in the past and they are one because they have no real understanding of where computing is headed yet they think they do.

KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 04:52:34 PM »

All of your bellicose rhetoric on the subject is absurd. This was a clear example of a bait-and-switch by Microsoft. Hey, a free upgrade, you can opt out of the ads, the store, the privacy issues...just go ahead and trade in your Windows 7 Pro for Windows 10...it's a great deal!

So, in the end, after the "Update", MSFT reduces their costs on Win7 support and slams the suckers with ads, "TIPS", less privacy. Well, they weren't really Professional users; they were just Amateurs who don't know what is good for them.  Downgrade 'em!

Ted, KX4OM

ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 01:18:11 PM »

Some of us couldn't care less about a "smart" phone.

Bottom line: Win 10 SUX (thats a highly technical term)
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »

Martin, all of the stuff that Windows 10 Pro users disabled previously cannot be disabled in in Windows 10 1607. Only Enterprise and Education are allowed to turn off the telemetry, the ads, Cortana, "tips" pop-ups and a litany of other things. The Anniversary Update is a downgrade for Win10 Pro users. I consider it a nasty trick played on Pro users with the "free" upgrades from Win7.

Fortunately, I was able to delay the Upgrade (it is actually called that in the Updates box) for at least 4 months, which puts me in the Business Branch. I'll be watching closely for work-arounds developed by individual contributors. This was a shameless scam by Microsoft, IMHO.

Ted, KX4OM

Between your post and this article from InfoWorld, I think I'm going to have to just remove Windows 10 Pro completely from my laptop and use Linux Mint exclusively.  I haven't booted into Windows for about 3 months, so I haven't received this "update," and I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

The only bad thing is that I wasted spent $100 on the upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro last October.  I did it for work-related uses that are no longer applicable.  I hate having to eat that cost, but that's the way it goes.  Never again.  Micro$oft is now a complete nonentity, as far as I'm concerned.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 05:37:06 PM »

Between your post and this article from InfoWorld, I think I'm going to have to just remove Windows 10 Pro completely from my laptop and use Linux Mint exclusively.  I haven't booted into Windows for about 3 months, so I haven't received this "update," and I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

One day you will realize the folly of this downgrade to Linux.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »

One day you will realize the folly of this downgrade to Linux.

And why, O Great Computergeniusizer, would you pontificate such an oxymoron?  There is absolutely nothing that I need in Windows, now that I no longer have to have it for work.  I am in total control of all aspects of my life, including computing and ham radio, now that I'm retired.  Micro$oft is now an irrelevancy, rather than merely a necessary irritant. 

If you have issues with that, too bad.  Not my problem.  All of a sudden, I'm channeling Bob Dylan's Positively 4th Street, especially the last verse.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 12:20:23 PM »

Ted, KX4OM

Well I figured MS was going to screw the users in some way!  When MS says something is free, you just know that something unpleasant is going to happen.  Thats why I have been saying from day one do not upgrade to Win10 until the software costs money and they have removed the spyware.  Once you have a freeware OS on your PC it now allows MS to do anything they want and there is not a dam thing you can do about it. 

JX I am still enjoying my Win7 Pro and the fact that it runs everything without a problem, I am still waiting for my PC world to crash as you predicted!  Oh and no encrypted data packets going out. 

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: