The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A soldering gun that feeds the solder. Anyone using one?  (Read 1012 times)
K3ANG

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:29:24 PM »

Surfing Amazon for soldering irons, and this popped up.
Anyone using one?

https://www.amazon.com/Ocamo-External-Heated-Soldering-Welding/dp/B07G55T9WK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1533878583&sr=8-1&keywords=manual+soldering+gun
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 03:38:28 AM »

Maybe if you solder the same kind of connection over and over and dial in the solder contact point there might be some usefulness to it.  From a production standpoint this offers the benefit of time savings of having to pick up and put down a roll of solder many times in a shift, plus not having to handle the solder itself.  Not seeing any benefit for hobby use, the connections made are too infrequent and varied.  Not sure you could use it on a PCB at all.  So more of a solution seeking a suitable problem.  I've thought about this from time to time as I can often use a "third hand" when assembling something.  Not sure you can get there from here given the requirement of applying the solder to a specific point of each joint as you go.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 06:06:42 AM »

Pace.
Metcal.
JBC.
Etneo.

Maybe a Weller 3000-series setup if you're doing infrequent rework operations. If I'm contemplating extensive time in a prototyping or rework scenario where I'm getting paid, the first four are it - period. They last, and the handpieces are top notch.

You get what you pay for. I'd rather $pend on used Pace stuff than I would the brand at the link. It would be nice if one of the big names would offer a self-feeding handpiece...but the presumption is that you've properly secured the parts before attempting to solder them, and thus don't need a third hand.
AB3TQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »

I am skeptical that device could ever find a home in my assortment of soldering gear. It looks like it would more likely find itself in the junk pile.

I would have to try it to be sure, but I would not pay even $1 for that opportunity, so I will never know for sure.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: