The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A simple LED flashlight? (rant)  (Read 22696 times)
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 01:35:43 PM »

JTK, I LOVE the term 'percussive' maintenance! ha ha

About 10 years or so ago, My XYL and I were driving to a fri nite street rod meet. I had the lower hose come off.
A very nice (Lexington, Ky) police officer pulled up behind me to help. Since it was dark, I couldn't see the hose clamp. I asked him to borrow his flashlite. It 'looked' like a 5 D cell Maglite. I was surprised that it was a very flimsy rubber POS.

I asked him what's up with this. He told me that the dept made them use these, because the Maglites had been used in the past as a 'club'.

Now, he might have been just BSing me, but I'll NEVER forget it! ha ha

ron
N4UE

Chicago officers are no longer allowed to carry Maglites. They were being used as clubs. The city was paying substantial settlements to disfigured individuals.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »

I say adapt and overcome.

Focus on your search instead of dwelling on rusty tin flashlights. Home Depot is a good place to start.
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »

Recently picked up an angle head plastic TL-122 flashlight (new) at the local Army-Navy surplus store for about 5 bucks.  Takes 2 D cells and has a slide switch (with pushbutton) so one-hand operation is no problem.  If you want LED, get a drop in replacement LED bulb.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 03:33:14 PM »

The newest LED flashlights are better in every way. There's no need to cycle thru the various modes; the first mode is always the brightest because the main need of a cop or watchman may be to blind an attacker. Subsequent clicks on the button reduce the brilliance, go to colors or strobe.

BTW, some have a mode that flashes SOS.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »

The light output of those old flashlights was about 20 lumens versus 100-500 for modern flashlights that are smaller, more reliable, have several modes and are less heavy.

They are so popular that there are several discussion groups devoted to flashlights. For example:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:45:10 PM by K0OD » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

I paid about $39.99 at Walmart last year for this Coast HP7. Its 360 lumens will throw a strong beam way beyond our 1-acre yard. RadioShack was liquidating some Coast lights at >50% off at the end of their bankruptcy, and I bought two of them for like $15 ea. They were somewhat bigger, useful as clubs for defense or to break car windows.

Coast is one of many good brands. Some, designed for military or law enforcement, can cost more than $200. https://coastportland.com/product/hp7/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:50:04 PM by K0OD » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 05:06:40 PM »

Besides HomeDepot, Ace Hardware and Academy have some good flashlights. Walmart has a few good ones also.
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »

If you liked the Maglite but do not want incandescent bulbs anymore why not get a new Maglite with the LED bulb? Very nice light output, much easier on batteries, and functions just like the old Maglites.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »

From what I've read on various online flashlight groups, Maglites have lost much of their market share in the past few years.   
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »

The classic the OP was thinking of was probably the Eveready and until the switch contacts start to get dirty they're great.

Maglite still makes a 2D flashlight with simple on/off button. Press down to turn on, press a little harder and it clicks to stay on. Much better quality switch assembly and outstanding warranty support. Should be available with varying LED bulbs for something like $20 online or at WalMart.

And yes, I'm pretty sure that's inflation-adjusted-cheaper than the old $1.25 ones were. Certainly built better.

The 3D-cell models are more common, but the 2D is still available. And it will cost less than I'd sell my old Eveready one for.(G)
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 07:12:05 PM »

This is about as simple as it gets;

https://www.hobbymods.com/Ultra%20Lite%209%20volt%20bright%20led%20cap%20flash%20light.htm

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KD2AJN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 07:53:09 PM »

Every current flashlight which isn't totally dumb remembers last mode. So if you want to use maximum light then there is no need for cycling through different levels. But I'm sure you know it. :-)

Interesting, I have 7 or 8 LED lights I've bought over the last few years and not a single one has that feature, nor have I seen it referenced in the description of flashlights I've looked at.  Of course, I'm not looking for a $75- $200 "tactical" flashlight either.  I must be shopping in all the wrong places.  On the other hand, a "smart" flashlight, really?  Can a smart toothpick be far behind?

Smart Toothpick:
https://www.smarttoothpicks.com/
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »

Why not just install a flashlight app on your smartphone?    Roll Eyes

My iPhone already has that.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »

New "tactical" flashlights are on the horizon, powerful enough to temporarily blind "attackers" even in broad daylight!  They won't be cheap however.
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 10:34:30 AM »

Every current flashlight which isn't totally dumb remembers last mode. So if you want to use maximum light then there is no need for cycling through different levels. But I'm sure you know it. :-)

Interesting, I have 7 or 8 LED lights I've bought over the last few years and not a single one has that feature, nor have I seen it referenced in the description of flashlights I've looked at.  Of course, I'm not looking for a $75- $200 "tactical" flashlight either.  I must be shopping in all the wrong places.  On the other hand, a "smart" flashlight, really?  Can a smart toothpick be far behind?

Smart Toothpick:
https://www.smarttoothpicks.com/

Excellent!  I was concerned about clicking on the link - thinking somebody had actually crammed an embedded microcontroller, LDO buck/boost regulator and batteries into a toothpick.

As far as Home Depot goes, I'm apparently missing out on the mother lode.  I don't go there anymore for a variety of reasons.  The Walmart is not "on the way" to anywhere we go, so I guess I've missed out there too.

I have been to a couple of Lowes, a couple of ACE stores, Target, several drugstores and grocery stores, Dick's Sporting Goods and one of those "Batteries" franchise stores with no success.  It's possible they carry what I was looking for but none were in stock on the days I was there.

I then went to Amazon and after perusing 75 or so models to no avail, I decided to go to the battery sites.  The Eveready light met the functionality reqs, but the output was disappointing.  I did find one at the Energizer site - single function, side switch and using 2 D batteries for a little heft.  Light output isn't great, but better than an incandescent.

But as I noted in my first post, in the past (I know), you could get a flashlight most anywhere that was simple to use, had a little size and weight so you could handle it, balance it on something, etc.  Again, it's all about what you grew up with.

For you smartphone app guys, the next time I go under the house or need to balance a light on my engine block, can I borrow your iphone or S6/7?  Wink
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: