The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A simple LED flashlight? (rant)  (Read 22728 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 07:30:03 AM »

OK now spend the money... . Wow
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 08:19:02 AM »

MagLite still has your answer: their newest 2-C-cell LED unit.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
909-999-SATS
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »

I wouldn't buy a mag-lite product if you paid me to take it.  Had two of them become absolutely useless.  The batteries leaked and completely sealed the access cap from the inside.  There was nothing I could do to open the caps.  I called the company and they flat out told me that the problem was not theirs but the battery manufacturer even though the batteries were the originals supplied by mag-lite.  I suggested that I would send them the two flashlights and that all I wanted was one new one in return.  They flat out refused and offered no solution other than deal with the battery manufacturer.   Their customer service was horrible because their arrogant attitude underscored what must be a deficient business acumen.  Maybe it was the wrong person in the customer service seat but it was enough to form my opinion.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »

Interesting. My Maglites are tanks that haven't given me any problems for many years. And I also recommend the LED upgrade for older units.
KM4OBL

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2016, 10:23:01 AM »

And I would be very much interested in this long list of easy to operate, single mode LED flashlights referenced by ZOL.  As I said in my post, I've found a few, very few that meet that criteria. I have a couple of Streamlights that are single function, but they have that small end-mounted pushbutton that requires a thumbnail to fully engage - a two-handed operation.

And as I said in my post, I like LED flashlights - when they function as a normal flashlight.  They remind though, of the software bloat of the late 80s to the early 90s.  By the 4 or 5th "upgrade" to a piece of  software, it became more cumbersome, slow and annoying to use, making the original functionality it had almost unrecognizable.

I have a little single LED flashlight that runs on one AAA battery, it has a raised pushbutton on the end that you can click on with your full thumb instead of needing the end of the thumbnail. It is labeled "Coast", but I think that it's really made by Cree. Also, there is a company called Rhino that makes small LED lights, including a very nice keychain light that won't click on and stay on while in your pocket, I had at least one light burn out due to this. You might look at the website of Fry's Electronics, frys.com , which is where I got most of my flashlights from.

Cree makes the LED - not the flashlight.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »

Interesting. My Maglites are tanks that haven't given me any problems for many years. And I also recommend the LED upgrade for older units.

Yeah.. I've never had a battery leak, keep a 3-D cell Maglite in my car year round. Temperatures can range from -15°F to 100°F. Also have a AA MiniMag that I bought in 1995, nice worn look to it.

Work as they should.
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »

I've had a 3D, 4D and 6D for years. Any recommends on specific brands, models and vendors for LED upgrades?

-K
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2016, 06:54:20 AM »

It is a flashlight.. Not the end of the world . Making it way to hard....

https://www.nebotools.com/
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »

I've had a 3D, 4D and 6D for years. Any recommends on specific brands, models and vendors for LED upgrades?

-K
I got a Nite Ize conversion kit from at Home Depot a couple of years back for less than 10 bucks. You can find them on Amazon too.
KD6VXI

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2016, 06:56:04 PM »

Man,  4 pages.

I went on eBay.   Typed in Maglite led replacement.

Take your pic.

And batteries leaked in a flashlight,  and you want the flashlight mfg to replace your light?   Not sure how that works.   You expect your refrigerator mfg to replace food that rots because it sat too long?

I totally see MAG industries point of view.   Had it happen to mine before.   I replaced it.   No biggie.

--Shane
KD6VXI
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 03:11:00 AM »

-K

If you're interested in doing more than a cheap upgrade, there are glass lenses with anti-reflective coating, drop-in LEDs with regulated drivers and heat sinks.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/search?q=d+cell+maglite+
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2016, 10:05:12 AM »

A two AA cell Mag light with a Cree replacement bulb is very bright and easy on batteries.
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 04:30:09 PM »

-K

If you're interested in doing more than a cheap upgrade, there are glass lenses with anti-reflective coating, drop-in LEDs with regulated drivers and heat sinks.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/search?q=d+cell+maglite+

Thanks, Some nice looking upgrades on that site, will BM for future reference. Maglite has a 3D LED unit, the model ML300L and claims 650 lumens for ~$35. It also has high/medium/low settings. To me that seems like the better investment, unless there's something about those new maglites I don't know.

For $15 or less to update the old units to something a little brighter and easier on batteries seems worth it, like the Nite Ize that N0YXB uses.

I like the 4D or 6D for walking the dog after dark, we have coyotes & javelina here and some people in our neighborhood have had bad encounters. Seems to happen when people walk through brushy areas without a light and startle them. Comes down to situational awareness and carry a skull checker.   Grin

-K
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2016, 07:49:13 AM »

If you are looking for a quality flashlight you may check out your local police uniform store. Using a flashlight 8 hours a day every day requires a flashlight that is easy on batteries and a flashlight that will hold up under heavy use. Mag Light makes a pretty good flashlight. Yes, in the old days they were called electric saps. Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:51:27 AM by AC6CV » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2016, 03:28:58 AM »

I just bought another new flashlight at Ace Hardware. It is probably the brightest light I have so far. It is made by Slyde and the model is the NEBO. It can be used for one hand operation on and off. It cost 29 dollars. Google it and read about. Really cool light.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: