The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A simple LED flashlight? (rant)  (Read 22709 times)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2016, 06:24:03 AM »

On our volunteer fire dept we use these two LED flashlights. They take a lot of abuse:

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=309

http://www.streamlight.com/static/document/data_sheet/FireVulcanLEDDataSheet.pdf

All incandescent, etc flashlights have been retired.

Edit: I see now the Liteboxes are also LED.. we had the incandescent version of those that were replaced by the Vulcan model.

Streamlight makes some nice stuff.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:27:00 AM by KB2FCV » Logged
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »

Interesting. My Maglites are tanks that haven't given me any problems for many years. And I also recommend the LED upgrade for older units.

I've had a 3D, 4D and 6D for years. Any recommends on specific brands, models and vendors for LED upgrades?

-K

If you're interested in doing more than a cheap upgrade, there are glass lenses with anti-reflective coating, drop-in LEDs with regulated drivers and heat sinks.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/search?q=d+cell+maglite+

Thanks, Some nice looking upgrades on that site, will BM for future reference. Maglite has a 3D LED unit, the model ML300L and claims 650 lumens for ~$35. It also has high/medium/low settings. To me that seems like the better investment, unless there's something about those new maglites I don't know.

For $15 or less to update the old units to something a little brighter and easier on batteries seems worth it, like the Nite Ize that N0YXB uses.

I like the 4D or 6D for walking the dog after dark, we have coyotes & javelina here and some people in our neighborhood have had bad encounters. Seems to happen when people walk through brushy areas without a light and startle them. Comes down to situational awareness and carry a skull checker.   Grin

-K

Just picked up a Maglite ML300L 3rd Gen.
2D puts out 524 lumens, 3D puts out about 100 more.

Think you are correct, with the features/settings, and output, its a better investment.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2018, 11:18:30 AM »

This is a thread?  With 5 pages?

Guess it keeps you guys off the streets.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 11:56:07 AM »

There are Yahoo groups for this, not flashlight owners in general but owners of a particular brand or model. They sit there for hours discussing how their favorite light source would be used or held. How do I know this? Someone I know was looking for a particular flashlight and he stumbled on the group.

Me? I have a Grundig LED flashlight that my YL picked up as a promo item from work, it turns on and turns off which is all I need.

Peter DL8OV
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »

This is a thread?  With 5 pages?

It is eHam....
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »

Way, way back, in the "before time", if you wanted a flashlight, you went to the store (most any kind of store it seemed) and bought a package consisting of a flashlight and 2 "D" batteries.  It was around $1.25 and the flashlight was usually made of light gauge corrugated steel.

You brought it home, unscrewed the end or the head and inserted the 2 D batteries.  And with ONE hand, you picked it up and slid the switch to ON with your thumb.  If it worked, the full intensity of light burst forth.  And still with ONE hand, you slid the switch to OFF with your thumb.  If your flashlight had it, you might test the momentary contact button just forward of the slide switch.

Fast forward to today's LED flashlights.  They all seem to have rubber covered pushbuttons mounted on the end or along the side.  A few are large enough, you can operate them with the flat of your thumb - some require you have enough thumbnail in order to fully press the switch.  I don't much care for the end-mounted switches as many are too small to be operated with the flat of the thumb - requiring me to hold the flashlight in one hand while I try to engage the switch with the other.

But, that's not the worst of it.  Most all (except for a wee few) have multiple "modes".  Great.  Now when I grab the flashlight, I may have to sequence through all these modes just to get to the "high" setting.  Some require an On/Off cycle between each mode, some just require you to keep pressing that annoying pushbutton.  So after 4 to 8 presses, I finally get my high beam.

No, don't get me wrong, I like the light provided by these flashlights.  I liked the light provided by my old Maglite with a Krypton bulb.  It was a two-handed flashlight though and could be aggravating when you needed a quick focused light and replacing bulbs was always a challenge (trying to find one).  No, I don't want to return to the old incandescent flashlights.  I just want a normal-sized flashlight I can grab and operate with one hand and one activation of a easy to use switch.

OK, rant over. 

Now you're bitching about flashlights?  Slow day over in the no-code Extra thread?
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »

This is a thread?  With 5 pages?

It is eHam....

Was a quality thread. Another good thread was the one about physical fitness/diet.

A lot of 'should I buy this radio', and 'I can't program my D-Star' threads lately.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2018, 04:25:42 PM »

How is this about ham radio. Wow if it was a handheld with a flashlight then it would be all right. Or a flashlight on a ham billboard or a flashlight with billboard winter glue on the handle. Lets try and be more professional. Jeeezz.
Everyone be safe . Enjoy Life. Stay positive.73s
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »

Doesn't your Baofeng have a flashlight?
LYFAN

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2018, 04:32:36 PM »

Doesn't your Baofeng have a flashlight?
ROFL. What is it about Chinese products and flashlights and "sirens" ?  Did someone there confuse the toy market and the radio market? Or do they also make chopsticks with a built-in LED illuminator, just in case you need light while you are eating, too? One chopstick has siren, other has light?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: