The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A simple LED flashlight? (rant)  (Read 22989 times)
W4JCK

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2016, 11:05:01 PM »

Way, way back, in the "before time", if you wanted a flashlight, you went to the store (most any kind of store it seemed) and bought a package consisting of a flashlight and 2 "D" batteries.  It was around $1.25 and the flashlight was usually made of light gauge corrugated steel.

You brought it home, unscrewed the end or the head and inserted the 2 D batteries.  And with ONE hand, you picked it up and slid the switch to ON with your thumb.  If it worked, the full intensity of light burst forth.  And still with ONE hand, you slid the switch to OFF with your thumb.  If your flashlight had it, you might test the momentary contact button just forward of the slide switch.

Fast forward to today's LED flashlights.  They all seem to have rubber covered pushbuttons mounted on the end or along the side.  A few are large enough, you can operate them with the flat of your thumb - some require you have enough thumbnail in order to fully press the switch.  I don't much care for the end-mounted switches as many are too small to be operated with the flat of the thumb - requiring me to hold the flashlight in one hand while I try to engage the switch with the other.

But, that's not the worst of it.  Most all (except for a wee few) have multiple "modes".  Great.  Now when I grab the flashlight, I may have to sequence through all these modes just to get to the "high" setting.  Some require an On/Off cycle between each mode, some just require you to keep pressing that annoying pushbutton.  So after 4 to 8 presses, I finally get my high beam.

No, don't get me wrong, I like the light provided by these flashlights.  I liked the light provided by my old Maglite with a Krypton bulb.  It was a two-handed flashlight though and could be aggravating when you needed a quick focused light and replacing bulbs was always a challenge (trying to find one).  No, I don't want to return to the old incandescent flashlights.  I just want a normal-sized flashlight I can grab and operate with one hand and one activation of a easy to use switch.

OK, rant over. 
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 01:38:42 AM »

Why not just install a flashlight app on your smartphone?    Roll Eyes
OK4FX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 01:58:08 AM »

Every current flashlight which isn't totally dumb remembers last mode. So if you want to use maximum light then there is no need for cycling through different levels. But I'm sure you know it. :-)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 05:05:20 AM »

Way, way back, in the "before time", if you wanted a flashlight, you went to the store (most any kind of store it seemed) and bought a package consisting of a flashlight and 2 "D" batteries.  It was around $1.25 and the flashlight was usually made of light gauge corrugated steel.

Like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ray-O-Vac-Flashlight-Metal-Magnet-Light-/142075846919?hash=item2114616107:g:UHEAAOSwimdXo8Ui

Yeah, I miss those days too, but for $10 (plus shipping!), I am willing to leave those olden days to distant memories.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:07:35 AM by N0IU » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 05:21:46 AM »

Let me see, today's LED flashlights are generally water proof, can be very compact, do not damage bulb when dropped and have vastly superior battery life while also giving off more light too. Do I miss old flash lights? Not one bit.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »

There ARE simple LED flashlights out there that don't have "modes", that you simply click the button on the end and the light turns on, click again and it's off. Also, there ARE single mode LED flashlights that are more like traditional flashlights. OP must not be looking very hard.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 09:28:56 AM »

I think he was just waxing nostalgic remembering the goode olde daze.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »

You always have the option of ripping out the electronics and substituting your own. A latching switch (push for on and long push for off) can be made using a handful of components.

Peter DL8OV
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 10:09:10 AM »

Every current flashlight which isn't totally dumb remembers last mode. So if you want to use maximum light then there is no need for cycling through different levels. But I'm sure you know it. :-)

Interesting, I have 7 or 8 LED lights I've bought over the last few years and not a single one has that feature, nor have I seen it referenced in the description of flashlights I've looked at.  Of course, I'm not looking for a $75- $200 "tactical" flashlight either.  I must be shopping in all the wrong places.  On the other hand, a "smart" flashlight, really?  Can a smart toothpick be far behind?

And I would be very much interested in this long list of easy to operate, single mode LED flashlights referenced by ZOL.  As I said in my post, I've found a few, very few that meet that criteria. I have a couple of Streamlights that are single function, but they have that small end-mounted pushbutton that requires a thumbnail to fully engage - a two-handed operation.

And as I said in my post, I like LED flashlights - when they function as a normal flashlight.  They remind though, of the software bloat of the late 80s to the early 90s.  By the 4 or 5th "upgrade" to a piece of  software, it became more cumbersome, slow and annoying to use, making the original functionality it had almost unrecognizable.

But again I rant.  As I said in my post, I have no longing for the old incandescent lights or their constant need for percussive maintenance as they got older.
And yes, I have one of those little AA metal flashlights in the drawer - it's not a Ray O Vac though.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »

The "Flashlight Apps" may have spyware installed on them.  One has been caught, but I forgot which one.

If you just want a simple on/off LED flashlight, Walmart has them for $1.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 12:07:38 PM »

I really like the Dorcey flashlights. I have been using them for years.

https://smile.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-4304-500-Flashlight-619-lumen/dp/B00IECPYJS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1470510322&sr=8-14&keywords=Led+flashlight&refinements=p_89%3ADorcy
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »

I have been fascinated with flashlights ever since I was a kid. I must have about 25 or so. I have the old bulb type, lanterns and LED type. I have converted some of the older ones to led just by changing the lamps which you can buy. I think my favorite is an old Eveready 3 D cell which has a huge 4 inch head on it, all metal and still works perfect. I bought it about 40 years ago while working as an electrician. If I see something new and cool I usually buy it.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »

And I would be very much interested in this long list of easy to operate, single mode LED flashlights referenced by ZOL.  As I said in my post, I've found a few, very few that meet that criteria. I have a couple of Streamlights that are single function, but they have that small end-mounted pushbutton that requires a thumbnail to fully engage - a two-handed operation.

And as I said in my post, I like LED flashlights - when they function as a normal flashlight.  They remind though, of the software bloat of the late 80s to the early 90s.  By the 4 or 5th "upgrade" to a piece of  software, it became more cumbersome, slow and annoying to use, making the original functionality it had almost unrecognizable.

I have a little single LED flashlight that runs on one AAA battery, it has a raised pushbutton on the end that you can click on with your full thumb instead of needing the end of the thumbnail. It is labeled "Coast", but I think that it's really made by Cree. Also, there is a company called Rhino that makes small LED lights, including a very nice keychain light that won't click on and stay on while in your pocket, I had at least one light burn out due to this. You might look at the website of Fry's Electronics, frys.com , which is where I got most of my flashlights from.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »

JTK, I LOVE the term 'percussive' maintenance! ha ha

About 10 years or so ago, My XYL and I were driving to a fri nite street rod meet. I had the lower hose come off.
A very nice (Lexington, Ky) police officer pulled up behind me to help. Since it was dark, I couldn't see the hose clamp. I asked him to borrow his flashlite. It 'looked' like a 5 D cell Maglite. I was surprised that it was a very flimsy rubber POS.

I asked him what's up with this. He told me that the dept made them use these, because the Maglites had been used in the past as a 'club'.

Now, he might have been just BSing me, but I'll NEVER forget it! ha ha

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »

Way, way back, in the "before time", if you wanted a flashlight, you went to the store (most any kind of store it seemed) and bought a package consisting of a flashlight and 2 "D" batteries.  It was around $1.25 and the flashlight was usually made of light gauge corrugated steel.

Finding flashlights is like finding elusive DX; you have to know where to look. In your case, Home Depot is your friend.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dorcy-Deluxe-High-Impact-Resin-LED-Flashlight-Red-41-2460/204305336

Long-life LED bulb, classic shape, sliding switch, 2 D cells included, for the modest price of only $6.99.

Taking inflation into account, that's probably less than you paid back in the day.

"Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory."

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:19:32 PM by DRBEN » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: