The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small HF rig with 100 watts  (Read 6232 times)
W3TTT

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »

This has probably been discussed before in this forum.  But I couldn't find the discussion. 

I want to put a HF rig in a Chevy Malibu.  I think the glove compartment would be good.  I don't want the radio to be visible when I park.  The glove compartment is about 9" wide, 6" wide and 12 inches deep. 

Is there a rig that size or smaller that compares to an ICOM 718?  It should have all band SSB and CW (required), and a general coverage receiver (optional). 

Thanks
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »

If you want something inexpensive, look at the Alinco DX-SR9T. No fancy dance everything, and only 160 through 10. It is small, and remotable.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »

A new one, the Yaesu FT891
I don't know if its widely available yet but certainly meets the size requirements

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:38:30 PM »

If you operate from the glove box remember to keep the radio body mounted such that air can flow around all sides as well as keep the box open while operating to allow cool air in otherwise you can sit back and roast some weenies on your finals and kiss them goodbye.

The FT-891 looks like a small and very promising HF only rig.
KF5QIU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »

You can pick up an yaesu 857 on sale now.  They come with a separation kit so you can mount the body under the seat with plenty of airflow and put the head in you glove box and pull it out when you want to use it.

Travis
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »

You can pick up an yaesu 857 on sale now.  They come with a separation kit so you can mount the body under the seat with plenty of airflow and put the head in you glove box and pull it out when you want to use it.

Travis

A 857 is not a good candidate for under-seat mounting because it is very small and needs as much help as possible in cooling and should mounted in free air. A small 100 watt rig has to dissipate small amount heat as a big one.

You should consider a Kenwood TS480 SAT. It is somewhat larger with more heat sink area and a built in tuner. It can also be had in a 200 watt version with no built in tuner.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:29:25 PM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 07:56:10 PM »

New or used?

The Kenwood TS-50 and Alinco DX-70T come to mind if looking at used equipment.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 11:18:24 PM »

If you really want the rig in the glovebox, for Heaven's sake put a fan in there with it.

No matter how large the heat sink is, it'll need _moving air_ to keep the rig cool.  And by its nature, the glovebox won't encourage through-flow circulation.

Take a look here:

http://www.k0bg.com/install.html

.        Charles

PS -- and now I'm sure someone will tell of his rig that's been in the glovebox, happily, for umpteen years with no fan . . .
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 12:29:49 PM »

I suggest the FT857. This from someone who actually OWNS ONE.
KD6VXI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

I suggest the FT857. This from someone who actually OWNS ONE.

Same here.   It does everything,  it's smaller. Than my Cobra CB radio (148), smaller than my 10 meter HR2510,  includes all bands except 220, does a hundred watts up through 6 meters and has fans built in.

I've mounted mine remote,  under a seat with the face on the dash,  as a mobile style radio (face and body together)  and on my desk as a base (ham radio deluxe or other remote software necessary!!!).

Can't really go wrong.   The thing......  Just.....  Works.

Incidentally,  I ran mine both 'barefoot'  (a hundred watts out)  and legal limit mobile (HF).   Legal limit sure was a lot easier,  but a hundred watts does great.   

--Shane
KD6VXI
AB1LT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 01:16:30 PM »

Make sure it can breathe in that glove box.  My FT-857 is burning 10W just in receive.  During 100W Tx it is probably making 40-50W.  That's a lot of heat in the glove box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: