The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beacons or time signals from Europe  (Read 9494 times)
VE3LYX

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:33:16 AM »

As a ham I often use time signals to see if the band is open. Often CHU which is about 170 miles east or WWV. I find if I can hear these especially on a small portable I know the band is good in that direction. I use the CHU signal just below 80m and just above 40m.
lately i have been doing some long low power things with my pal Andrew in Wales (whom I met here on eham) Now I found myself looking for some beacon or time signal I can pre-check conditions with by listening for it here. Any suggestions and freq? And I am curious can you now or have you ever heard CHU in Europe?
donVe3LYX
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:53:32 AM »

As a ham I often use time signals to see if the band is open. Often CHU which is about 170 miles east or WWV. I find if I can hear these especially on a small portable I know the band is good in that direction. I use the CHU signal just below 80m and just above 40m.
lately i have been doing some long low power things with my pal Andrew in Wales (whom I met here on eham) Now I found myself looking for some beacon or time signal I can pre-check conditions with by listening for it here. Any suggestions and freq? And I am curious can you now or have you ever heard CHU in Europe?
donVe3LYX
  You can easily monitor those frequencies from remote locations online!  Just go to:  www.WebSDR.org
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »

The problem with many DX time signal stations is that they are on or very near the freqs used by WWV.

You might want to try Shannon VOLMET on 3.413,  5.505,  8.957,  13.264 USB for continuous WX broadcast. 
N4EF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 03:52:16 AM »

I also listen for WWV, WWVH, CHU, RWM and BPM as a propagation indicators.  I suspect it'll be some time before I hear BPM again as we're in the sunspot minimum.

In addition, I find DDK9 on 10100.8 kHz as a check for 30 meter openings to Europe. DDK9 runs 10 kw 24 hours/day in F1B mode.

Dave
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 08:58:20 PM »

The problem with many DX time signal stations is that they are on or very near the freqs used by WWV.

You might want to try Shannon VOLMET on 3.413,  5.505,  8.957,  13.264 USB for continuous WX broadcast.  

RAF VOLMET on 5450KHz is also a possibility.

There is also the russian Buzzer on 4625KHz.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:24:13 PM by SHORTWIRE » Logged
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »

And I am curious can you now or have you ever heard CHU in Europe?
donVe3LYX

Yes, CHU is usually audible here when conditions are not too awful.

Usually better than WWV, most of the time..
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:26:50 AM »

Very few continuous HF signals of this type from Europe, our time signals are VLF/LF - MSF 60kHz being the UKs,

as has been said though, Shannon VOLMET and RAF VOLMET are excellent, also consider Kinloss Rescue on 5680kHz, not constant but usually very active

Another option would be to set up and use WSPR - lots of UK and EU stations active, and you'd be directly contributing to wider propagation research

VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »

Thanks for all the tips
donVE3LYx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: