The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't HF amps above the legal limit made in USA be sold legally in USA  (Read 31370 times)
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »

There is some current on the neutral, less what was used by whatever you are powering.

What Si-Fi theory do you base this on???  I guess you figure the rest of current flows into air or or through you. The currents on hot and neutral are equal. BTW that is how a ground breaker fault works, when it detects the slightest difference (in micro amp range) between these two legs it dumps circuit.

I have a very simple si-fi theory. If you have the same current on the neutral as you do on the 120 volt hot wire where did that 1000 watts or whetever that went out your antenna come from.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »

There is some current on the neutral, less what was used by whatever you are powering.

What Si-Fi theory do you base this on???  I guess you figure the rest of current flows into air or or through you. The currents on hot and neutral are equal. BTW that is how a ground breaker fault works, when it detects the slightest difference (in micro amp range) between these two legs it dumps circuit.

I have a very simple si-fi theory. If you have the same current on the neutral as you do on the 120 volt hot wire where did that 1000 watts or whetever that went out your antenna come from.

If you use a clamp-on amp meter on the hot and neutral at the same time, they cancel each other out, and the meter reads -0-.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »

The analogy between water and electricity only goes so far, it's not like using up electrons where on the return path there are fewer than on supply side. Think you need basic electricity lesson, unfortunately I'm not good at giving basic lessons.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »

"If you use a clamp-on amp meter on the hot and neutral at the same time, they cancel each other out, and the meter reads -0-"

Not on a 240V circuit it doesn't. Current flows from one leg directly to the other leg. Nothing flows in the neutral. Most amps don't even have a neutral connection to them, just two hot legs and a grounding conductor.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »

"If you use a clamp-on amp meter on the hot and neutral at the same time, they cancel each other out, and the meter reads -0-"

Not on a 240V circuit it doesn't. Current flows from one leg directly to the other leg. Nothing flows in the neutral. Most amps don't even have a neutral connection to them, just two hot legs and a grounding conductor.

I'm familiar with 240v circuits. The posts I quoted we're referencing 120v.

Time to find something interesting to read..

*Talk amongst yourselves *
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »

I guess I'm a little mixed up on this. It is true that if the circuits in your service are balanced that the neutral current should be close to zero. But, any 120 volt the current in the neutral and the hot will be the same. So, I'm a moron, what else is new.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2016, 05:28:50 AM »

I guess I'm a little mixed up on this. It is true that if the circuits in your service are balanced that the neutral current should be close to zero. But, any 120 volt the current in the neutral and the hot will be the same. So, I'm a moron, what else is new.

Not a moron, just mistaken. 120 needs/uses neutral, 240 does not.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2016, 05:31:45 AM »

What Si-Fi theory do you base this on???  I guess you figure the rest of current flows into air or or through you. The currents on hot and neutral are equal. BTW that is how a ground breaker fault works, when it detects the slightest difference (in micro amp range) between these two legs it dumps circuit.

To top that off, I just found out that my electric company isn't sending me brand NEW electrons, but is recycling the same old USED electrons over and over again! And then asking me to pay for them when I have already paid for them many times over! What a total rip-off!
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2016, 07:56:34 PM »

I just found out that my electric company isn't sending me brand NEW electrons, but is recycling the same old USED electrons over and over again! And then asking me to pay for them when I have already paid for them many times over! What a total rip-off!

Is this a recurrent problem?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »

I just found out that my electric company isn't sending me brand NEW electrons, but is recycling the same old USED electrons over and over again! And then asking me to pay for them when I have already paid for them many times over! What a total rip-off!

Is this a recurrent problem?

LOL!  Grin

BTW, the other advantage to 220V plugs/receptacles is the contacts are typically much larger than 120V plugs. Much lower contact resistance. So the effective plug/receptacle heating is even less than the drop in amps indicates.

Reminds me I have to replace a 120V receptacle - I had a Panasonic microwave oven turn one into a blackened crisp without blowing the breaker.  Shocked

Jim K6JH
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2016, 06:09:21 PM »

Reminds me I have to replace a 120V receptacle - I had a Panasonic microwave oven turn one into a blackened crisp without blowing the breaker.  Shocked

Find you a hospital grade 120v wall socket. They are as good as they get.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »

Agreed.  Go to the nearest hospital, create a distraction, and carefully remove the receptacle ....
.... and if you're not careful enough, you'd have wound up at the hospital anyway ....  Problem solved.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2016, 05:49:38 PM »

Agreed.  Go to the nearest hospital, create a distraction, and carefully remove the receptacle ....
.... and if you're not careful enough, you'd have wound up at the hospital anyway ....  Problem solved.

LOL

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2016, 05:56:31 PM »

These are the ones I got new in a bag at a garage sale.

Click Here

KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »

These are the ones I got new in a bag at a garage sale.

Click Here

Think you picked the wrong photo. Green triangle is isolated ground, green dot is hospital grade, isolated ground hospital grade will have green triangle and green dot.

Of course, double check me, I'm not batting too well in this thread. Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: