The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 1.5kw Amp, new photo, more details...  (Read 32550 times)
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »

$50K wont even buy an entry level Corvette and there are literally no millionaires in that category Roll Eyes
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »

This is why despite the crybaby snowflakes against MFJ/Ameritron , Mr. MARTIN J. built a very successful company down in little backwoods Mississippi.

Hi,

I bet Martin is not happy about the testing of one of his amplifiers with almost TWICE the specified drive:
             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scLYnhD9AoI

My guess is you will never know, as I do not think, you can plan on Flex giving you a new amp to "test".

John    
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:27:28 AM by W5JON » Logged
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »

The ALS 1300 with the ARI 500, or the ALS 1306 is not a manual amp when connected to a flex radio.  Add a $25 cord and it's fully band following.  You can also make your steppir fully band / freq following plus antenna switches.  My ALS 1300 and antenna switch band follows my 6700 on 10 bands.  There wil be a single input version of the amp for less money.  I dont get the hair on fire routine. If its not worth it to you dont buy it

Im hoping to see the new amp at orlando

73  W9OY
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »

Because it is a hobby. Period. There is nothing more to Amateur radio than "hobby", literally against all of the noble arguments one can make. We are not allowed by law to pursue monetary gain with the use of amateur air waves. Making widgets sure, but that is not amateur radio, that is widget making. Amateur vs. Professional are two entirely difference concepts. That is why I used the word hobby. A $7000 amplifier is not an investment. It is an expense. Noting more. You invest in business and stocks, you expense hobbies.

You certainly can have an automated el-cheapo Ameritron.

ALS-600 or 1300/06 with the band switch interface that plugs into your radio.

I am just hitting a dry spell in CB err.. Amateur radio and am thinking about mothballing all my crap and flying drones, or just camping more. I rarely have desire to even power on my station as of late and its getting exponentially worse. So I was never going to buy this amplifier anyway.

Consider me mostly removed from this conversation save for a reply here and there.

And W9OY I too hope you get to see the amplifier. I was thinking of going to the show in Orlando down from Atlanta, but given how I am on the ropes about radio lately I am losing motivation to go as the hours get closer to this weekend. I was hopeful that Apache Labs has a good showing of the new ANAN-8000DLE SDR but that is a 4K radio and I can't see my self being into the hobby as much right now to want to spend that much money.

Maybe I am expecting too much, being judgmental, and if that is how I seem, I apologize, but maybe this really is an old mans game. I am only barely 40 years old.  it seems the avg. age I talk to is literally all retired people. I never have the time to catch the DX stuff because I have to work. This is a retirement hobby for sure I think for the most part. That is not meant to be judgmental but it is true mostly. Maybe I just don't have the energy at the end of a long day to sit and chit chat while dodging people making intentional noise, or farting, or cussing, or saying vulgarities on top of a perfectly legit QSO. I'd rather go to bed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:38:17 AM by KK4YDR » Logged
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »

I've been licensed since I was 11, or 54 years.  My first radio was a 6ag7 plus 6L6 crystal rig made from some wire for plug in coils, and stuff from an old TV chassis and a couple old time radios for caps and transformers and a S40B receiver I bought from the Allied radio store down on Western in Chicago.  40M covered 3/8 of an inch on the dial.  My antenna switch was a Bakelite knife switch and I had a 80/40 dipole that did double duty on 15.  I had 4 crystals.  I had maybe $60 in the whole shootin match from birthday money and a paper route. I HAD A BLAST.  I now own a 6300, a 6500, a 6700 and a Anan radio 4 amps ranging in power from 1KW to 4KW etc etc.  All of it was purchased used, and I have a blast.  If I had a IC-7300 I'd have a blast  My friend sold his Flex stuff and bought a 7300 and he has a blast.  I burned out a couple times: college, navy, marriage, kids etc but I always  kept at least 1 radio just "in case".  "In case" so far has always happened and I've always come back generally with more fervent interest than the previous episode.  I think that's the nature of the hobby.  If Flex's release of a new amp is the cause of your exit, it's hardly Flex's fault.  You ain't getting gypped.  I had a Acom 2000a amp with remote and I hated it so I got rid of it.  It's not that remarkable to spend 7ish K on an amp  The Flex amp I think is much closer to my desire.  My advice keep a radio around just "in case"

73  W9OY
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:24:59 AM by W9OY » Logged
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »

Oh gosh no. This amplifier has nothing to do with getting bleh about ham radio right now. Its the endless lids and CBr stuff and the absolute lack of enforcement by the FCC. Sure we can really self police ham radio but you have to have the absolute authority that has jurisdiction to actually press charges on the ones whom blatantly persist in breaking the law and the code of Ham radio. They refuse tontheir job and I am gettinf very burned out on hearing these horrible people on air everywhere I go. I too have 3 amplifiers none that are 7k though. There are times I have a blast too. Also you older hams have had the best years with almost a continous peak in solar cycle. I just git licensed 3 years ago and its getting worse and worse and I will be an old man before it gets better. I just generationally missed the best years in my theory.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:30:06 PM by KK4YDR » Logged
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2017, 01:43:19 PM »

Because it is a hobby. Period. There is nothing more to Amateur radio than "hobby", literally against all of the noble arguments one can make. We are not allowed by law to pursue monetary gain with the use of amateur air waves. Making widgets sure, but that is not amateur radio, that is widget making. Amateur vs. Professional are two entirely difference concepts. That is why I used the word hobby. A $7000 amplifier is not an investment. It is an expense. Noting more. You invest in business and stocks, you expense hobbies.

You certainly can have an automated el-cheapo Ameritron.

ALS-600 or 1300/06 with the band switch interface that plugs into your radio.

I am just hitting a dry spell in CB err.. Amateur radio and am thinking about mothballing all my crap and flying drones, or just camping more. I rarely have desire to even power on my station as of late and its getting exponentially worse. So I was never going to buy this amplifier anyway.

Consider me mostly removed from this conversation save for a reply here and there.

And W9OY I too hope you get to see the amplifier. I was thinking of going to the show in Orlando down from Atlanta, but given how I am on the ropes about radio lately I am losing motivation to go as the hours get closer to this weekend. I was hopeful that Apache Labs has a good showing of the new ANAN-8000DLE SDR but that is a 4K radio and I can't see my self being into the hobby as much right now to want to spend that much money.

Maybe I am expecting too much, being judgmental, and if that is how I seem, I apologize, but maybe this really is an old mans game. I am only barely 40 years old.  it seems the avg. age I talk to is literally all retired people. I never have the time to catch the DX stuff because I have to work. This is a retirement hobby for sure I think for the most part. That is not meant to be judgmental but it is true mostly. Maybe I just don't have the energy at the end of a long day to sit and chit chat while dodging people making intentional noise, or farting, or cussing, or saying vulgarities on top of a perfectly legit QSO. I'd rather go to bed.

:-)  Careful to not lump "the hobby" into one bucket like "DX vs. the Solar Cycle on HF frequencies".
When I was 40, and busy raising my kid, "the hobby" was VHF/UHF voice and packet for me, as time permitted.
Now I am 58, kid out of house, but still working, and I am having fun with HF, both voice and digital modes.
True, HF-DX is "more" fun when the solar cycle is not "in the toilet", but that affects mostly just HF SSB voice
for the mass of "little guys" like me (No tower, no beam, small city lot, so no high power amp to a 58 foot
tower mounted full size beam)  :-)
But, ... recall that I said HF DX voice.   I still have NO trouble on any night after work doing some level of
DX (65 countries in 2016) using digital modes like JT-65 or Olivia, and having ~non-DX (ok, same continent, USA, Canada, South America)
SSB, RTTY, PSK-31, OLIVIA, etc, for just a small example.  And other times of the week I hop on our local 222Mhz
net to chat.  Or else talk to other friends on 2m or 440 repeaters, or same city, any time of day or night, SSB on
even 10m.   Some people are into APRS, Echo-Link, and other setups.    Some are also having fun with the
Amateur VHF and UHF satellites.  A smaller set is playing with microwave.  It's hard to get bored.
But no argument, camping, photography, and other things are fun too, including making fun of
our new "Predator-in-Chief" :-)  (Sorry -U.S.A. Political snide remark, or Alternative Fact?  :-)  )

So, "the hobby" actually includes a HECK of a lot more than just HF SSB Voice DX that is admittedly a little
frustrating in the bottom of current Solar cycle, for those of us without large antenna's and ample space to
avoid RFI if using full legal amplifiers.  But, that one pursuit is a small fraction of the total "hobby".

Please enjoy whatever you decide.   But I am simply pointing out that the hobby has a LOT to choose from.

Cheers,

Neal
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »

http://sdr-w9oy.blogspot.com/2017/02/power-genius-at-orlando.html
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2017, 10:49:13 AM »

Something I have not seen is what the Power Genius amplifier will do in peak output. We all understand the need for head room in an amplifier that is rated for 1500 watts output in order to have very good IMD numbers. Some have mentioned in earlier post, they think the amplifier will be capable of 2700 watts but getting the magnetics to cover 5 octaves of spectrum is not an easy design.  If the amplifier can do 2500 watts cleanly (-34 dB) it will be worth the $7000 asking price.

Is the amplifier software limited to the maximum output level? When running 1500 watts out, some consonant letters like P and B can peak the power an extra 1-2 dB.  I have had problems with some newer tube amplifiers that had a very aggressive peak power limit. In order to have some head room you had to run the amplifier at 1100 watts average power output.

When you look up the specifications on the BLF188XR LDMOS transistor it is listed as a 1400 watt device but again with no reference to the IMD numbers. There are many examples of the devices being run on You Tube with 1500 to 2500 watts out. The elephant in the living room is what are the IMD numbers.

We will have to wait to see these numbers when one is released to the public.

ALS-1306 Video

On another note, I looked at the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scLYnhD9AoI showing some HAM EXPERRTS driving the ALS-1306 into very hard compression with 125 watts in (50 watts is all that is needed for 1200 watts out) and it was a wonder the amplifier did not fault off and that the transistors survived at all.  I would have loved to see that SSB signal on the spectrum analyzer. The folks at MFJ must be having a heart attack.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2017, 02:43:25 PM »

Well my RF Engineering spy's spent some time at Orlando and brought back so hard information on the new Flex Power Genius amplifier.

• The amplifier is capable of about 2500 watts but is software limited to about 2000 watts out.

The IMD 2nd to 3rd is over 42 dB.

70 dB port to port isolation.

Show price on the amplifier is $6999.00

They had two of them up and running cooking large dummy loads.

The amplifier is very light and has a small footprint and does everything it has advertised. 

For those manufactures making Auto Tune tube amplifiers, in this price range, will have to have a Jesus moment going forward.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »

Cheaper than I expected, but out of my league.

Pete
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »

I saw 1850 into the dummy on CW, butter smooth operation, slicker than snot.  It varies the class according to the mode and attempts to obtain the maximum system efficiency, AB for SSB and C for CW or digital.  It has an active circuit designed to optimize IMD.  It has a low drive requirement further reducing the IMD of the exciter.  It is amazingly silent and given it's headless Ethernet remote-able nature could be placed under the table or behind a panel or even in a dog house out by the tower along with a 6700.  Instead of a feedline just run a piece of CAT6 out to the radio saving a couple dB of cable loss.  That gets you very close to your 2500w on an ERP basis.  My problem is I live out in the country at the end of the line and my power would creep up to 255v which would force my Acom 2000a to turn itself off.  This amp is spec'd to 265V on the line and uses PWM to regulate the input voltage.  On the low end it's something like 180V so you can obtain proper regulation over a wide range of voltages.   It uses a GE blade server power supply.  The whole shootin match weighs only 33 lbs.    I put the $1000 down delivery expected this summer.

73  W9OY
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »

Is the amplifier software limited to the maximum output level? When running 1500 watts out, some consonant letters like P and B can peak the power an extra 1-2 dB.  I have had problems with some newer tube amplifiers that had a very aggressive peak power limit. In order to have some head room you had to run the amplifier at 1100 watts average power output.

When you look up the specifications on the BLF188XR LDMOS transistor it is listed as a 1400 watt device but again with no reference to the IMD numbers. There are many examples of the devices being run on You Tube with 1500 to 2500 watts out. The elephant in the living room is what are the IMD numbers.

Ive run my LK-500ZC and Alpha 76PA (3 holer) at 1200W for decades, as the best IMD as observed on my own SA tells me that both the lower drive and amp tuning combine for a real IMD (not the ARRL version)of -36 and -43 respectively. The LK-500 I have had since new in 1986 and racked up about 15 years of world class contesting, still has the original Eimac 3-500Z's. The Alpha I received as payment of repairing a sick Ten Tec Titan; both abused in a Caribbean contest station. The 3  8874's were shot as was the transformer, arced bandswitch, etc and were retubed with a set of full output pulls that cost far less than one new one about 20 years ago. It replaced a perfect LK-780 in the second station. Im in no mood to have to retube it again so it loafs. Grin

Carl

KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »

Embrace the Suck...
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2017, 11:28:53 PM »

Oh gosh no. This amplifier has nothing to do with getting bleh about ham radio right now. Its the endless lids and CBr stuff and the absolute lack of enforcement by the FCC. Sure we can really self police ham radio but you have to have the absolute authority that has jurisdiction to actually press charges on the ones whom blatantly persist in breaking the law and the code of Ham radio. They refuse tontheir job and I am gettinf very burned out on hearing these horrible people on air everywhere I go. I too have 3 amplifiers none that are 7k though. There are times I have a blast too. Also you older hams have had the best years with almost a continous peak in solar cycle. I just git licensed 3 years ago and its getting worse and worse and I will be an old man before it gets better. I just generationally missed the best years in my theory.

Hi Eric:

This is an honest question;   Are you sure that it is not simply the fact that you are finding it hard
to ignore the fools and tune elsewhere?  I am not arguing.  There a are fools everywhere.
I see them on ham bands, in the malls, on the golf course, in boating, in recreational flying, and especially on the freeway/highway.  But I tend to ignore fools.

I am having a TON of fun lately.  I did my first RTTY 2 weeks ago, my first RTTY contest one week ago, have been playing with JT modes, PSK31 and PSK63, Olivia and Contestia modes.  A little SSB.  Some 2m, 222Mhz, 447mhz.  Some goofing with an SDRplay and a discone antenna.
I am really finding it hard to get bored and very much fun.
But the key is;  When I spot idiots, I don't sit there, I tune away.
As stated above, there are so many places and modes to have fun among our
HF, VHF, UHF and above, that I don't know why anyone would let a few fools slow them down.
Be it on the air, in a boat, in the air, on the freeway, on a golf course.
Get over it, morons have been poluting the gene pool long before you and me showed up.
Ignore idiots and look for the fun stuff.

Cheers,

Neal
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: