The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fully automated FT8 QSOs - a good idea for DXpeditions?  (Read 22764 times)
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »

Guys, before you get all righteous, a lot of this "take over my frequency" is a bug.

There is a version (I currently run it) that sometimes does not change your TX frequency the way it is supposed to.  It acts as if TX Hold was set when it isn't.

So, some of this is just a bug.  It is easy not to notice this behavior.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2018, 10:01:37 AM »

Guys, before you get all righteous, a lot of this "take over my frequency" is a bug.

There is a version (I currently run it) that sometimes does not change your TX frequency the way it is supposed to.  It acts as if TX Hold was set when it isn't.

So, some of this is just a bug.  It is easy not to notice this behavior.

I agree.  I have had TX Hold enabled and forget to disable TX after a QSO is complete.  Then it starts calling CQ on top of someone by accident.  I pay more attention now though.  So some of this is certainly accidental.  

I built two macros using Quick Macros last night, one for RUN and one for S&P, now I can sit back and watch the magic happen.  Just need to watch both instances of WSJT-X and make sure everything is working properly and move RUN frequencies when needed.  Automatic FT8 but not unattended.  Having fun with this new mode and learning more everyday. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:11:09 AM by N3HEE » Logged

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »

Just to let you know, DX World has published information about a upcoming version of WSJT with a new DXpedition mode. You can read about it here:

https://dx-world.net/ft8-dxpedition-mode/

Robert Fanfant of the VK9MA Mellish expedition gave a presentation at our club last night and he mentioned that while testing the new version he was able to accomplish five simultaneous Q's on FT8. Sounds like the new version will be a big boon for future DX'peditions. Wonder if the Bouvet crew will be testing the new version? Smiley

John K7KB
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2018, 12:14:16 AM »

Because all participants (Fox and all hounds) would have to have the new software, I think it is exceedingly unlikely to be ready for Bouvet.  It takes a lot to be sure you're ready to release something of this sort.

Moreover, even after it is released, it will be a long time before "everybody" upgrades.  If you aren't a DXer, it wouldn't be reason enough, in itself, to upgrade.  So, this new software will have to be able to run the old modes, well. 

A place like Bouvet and Baker will drive a lot of adoption, though. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: