The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bouvet 2017???  (Read 43946 times)
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »

Let's man up and either quit calling this hobby a sport or let's treat it like a sport and let those so inclined assume risk without preaching to them.

John AE5X
http://ae5x.blogspot.com

No preaching here, Amen.  Grin

I was under the impression that only contesting was considered a sport within the hobby. OK...add fox hunting and/or radio orienteering to the list. If the entire hobby is considered a sport, then your reasoning is correct.

As also stated elsewhere on this thread, maybe the DXCC list needs to be reevaluated. Some of these places are becoming too risky and/or expensive. As long as they remain on the list, some people will try to get there. While we can correctly say that willing adults can do whatever they want, sometimes removing the incentive becomes necessary to avoid potential disaster. As we donate and help fund some of these dxpeditions, we do have some moral/ethical, for lack of a better term, responsibility towards the outcome, good or bad.

When Sir Edmund Hillary was asked why he climbed mount Everest, his answer was, "because it was there". If these places are not 'there' (DXCC list), we can focus on other less risky/costly activations.

Regarding the age of dxpeditioners, part of the reason for their prevalence is that they got the time, and the discretionary income for it. Unfortunately their health, as good as they are at any given moment, can take a hit when they least expect.

Going back to the sport/hobby thing, I see hamradio as a hobby, so the risks of going to some of these places far outweights the benefits, in my opinion.

I do have tremendous respect for the people going on these trips, but I also think it's crazy sometimes.

Regards,

Vince, VA3VF
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »

From the 3Y0Z Website:

A Message From the DXpedition Team

Our Commitment to You

A DXpedition to Bouvet is not to be taken lightly.  Bouvet is a serious and dangerous place that demands attention to safety, serious planning, physical and mental endurance, time to allow for storms and rough seas and a team with the right balance of size, experience, talent, emotional stability and sense of purpose.  We feel we have met these criteria, but when we arrive at Bouvet, we also need to attend to our obligations to you, our financial supporters and DX audience.  How we meet those obligations and expectations will define us as a team.

It is our belief that, given the rarity of this entity, we must pull out all the stops.  We must utilize maximum legal power, the best antennas, world class transceivers, propagation studies, the best location on the island, a safe vessel and crew, highly qualified helicopter pilots and the complimentary resources of our team.  We will need near real-time information flowing to us through our extensive pilot system, so that we can maximize our primary purpose — providing QSOs.

We have a conscience.  We will not do this just for the sake of doing it and end up using a compromised location, less than 24/7 coverage of all open bands, limited power, inefficient antennas and insufficient time at the island.  We want to do this right, and give everyone the best possible chance of making the QSOs they desire, be they on 160, the WARC bands, SSB, CW, RTTY or 6 and 2 meter EME.

Rest assured that we will do our very best for you!  No shortcuts or compromises!

The 3YØZ Bouvet Island DXpedition Team
WD9Q

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »

I saw some discussions about shelters.

You might want to consider these for future DXPeditions.

http://www.intershelter.com/polar.html
PA1MR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 04:27:12 AM »

From the 3Y0Z Website:

A Message From the DXpedition Team

It is our belief that, given the rarity of this entity, we must pull out all the stops.  We must utilize maximum legal power, the best antennas, world class transceivers, propagation studies, the best location on the island, a safe vessel and crew, highly qualified helicopter pilots and the complimentary resources of our team.  We will need near real-time information flowing to us through our extensive pilot system, so that we can maximize our primary purpose — providing QSOs.

Investing in this really is no unnecessary luxury.

I remember the time 3Y0C (Chuck Brady, RIP) was active from Bouvet (2000/2001). Back then I was primarily focused on 10m. Getting a decent signal from him on 10m was extremely hard (the QSL with a picture of his antenna and take-off position is on my online QSL album on my website to give you an idea). In all the months he was active I must have heard him literally just a handful of times. And just twice really strong. And this was with a 5 elements monoband yagi around the peak period of the previous cycle.

Since Chuck was mainly active in SSB I’m glad that very experienced CW-operators are in the 3Y0Z team. I do support widescale expeditions like these, without them many so-called ‘little pistols’ would never get a shot at working such an interesting DXCC. Thanks guys, for making this happen for us!

PA1MR Douwe
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:29:58 AM by PA1MR » Logged
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »

Chuck Brady, 3Y0C, was a truly gifted individual, versatile in many fields and possessing a phenomenal memory. His South African pilot station was very open to inquiries, suggestions, etc. and would pass them on to Chuck. I sent the pilot station an email asking if Chuck worked CW and he responded that he had forwarded the message to Chuck. I thought no more about it for everyone then was chasing 3Y0C.

About three or four months later I found Chuck in a moderate pileup on 12 meter SSB and was fortunate to snag him. We exchanged reports but then he said, "Wait a minute. Didn't you send my pilot station a message a few months back about CW? Do you want a CW contact now? Let me get my key." I didn't want to hold up the pileup but before I knew it he was calling me on CW, we exchanged reports and then he worked several more on that mode.

How he remembered a lone inquiry months earlier with all that he had to do on Bouvet is beyond me. TU, Chuck!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:18:38 PM by W2LO » Logged
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »

Love this video... almost like Bouvet island... https://www.facebook.com/ve3vee/posts/1205193866224765

Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
YU4DX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »

HAM Fellows,

I had a death case in the closest family, recently. So I need to be quiet for sometime as I m in deep grief. But, when I open my mouth those barking dogs around these days breaking Constitutional Rights of another personas, they will feel my Barrister wolf teeth literary at EtCHR in Strasbourg.. Direct charges will be raised against some for they statements at a very table of of my Mentor, Commissioner for Human Rights, MR. Nils Muiznieks..
This is no more HAM radio issue, some public statements drove down to violating one's human most intimate personal rights and freedoms.

I appeal all of you to come down to the Earth a bit and spread peace and love and respect between eachother

Spread the waves, go to BOUVET 10000 times THE BETTER, why the hack are you barking at each other making other people pointless of being around you nor even to respond to any signal from 3Y0. Don't make such a circus out of HAM radio movement.
But when it comes to my profession as Barrister/advocate  - Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) - I will tell everyone where they got wrong holding skills and tools how to bring those human errors down to Justice.

As a HAM I am looking forward to anyone who is capable of spreading radio-amateur movement everywhere from and at anytime - in 2017, 2018, 2050, 2099..

God Bless!
73s
PA1MR

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 02:48:35 AM »

Chuck Brady, 3Y0C, was a truly gifted individual, versatile in many fields and possessing a phenomenal memory. His South African pilot station was very open to inquiries, suggestions, etc. and would pass them on to Chuck. I sent the pilot station an email asking if Chuck worked CW and he responded that he had forwarded the message to Chuck. I thought no more about it for everyone then was chasing 3Y0C.

About three or four months later I found Chuck in a moderate pileup on 12 meter SSB and was fortunate to snag him. We exchanged reports but then he said, "Wait a minute. Didn't you send my pilot station a message a few months back about CW? Do you want a CW contact now? Let me get my key." I didn't want to hold up the pileup but before I knew it he was calling me on CW, we exchanged reports and then he worked several more on that mode.

How he remembered a lone inquiry months earlier with all that he had to do on Bouvet is beyond me. TU, Chuck!

Just in case my point was misunderstood; my posting was not intended as criticism of Chuck. Far from it actually. If a guy pulls you out of a pile-up from hell with my modest set-up back then (100 Watts), at what was literally my first call,  he’s definately very skilled. And apparently a very intelligent person too, being a former astronaut from NASA. I am still very grateful to him for this QSO and I can’t thank Chuck enough for that!

My point simply is that when a DX-expedition T-E-A-M goes to Bouvet, they’d better invest in extremely good gear. Band conditions can be very poor in these regions, as I’d explained in my previous posting. VK0EK for instance had experienced those poor band conditions too. Because they’d invested in very good gear they’ve managed to pull off a fantastic result considering the disappointing band conditions. VK0EK has therefore got my vote for being one of the best DX expeditions in 2016, along with VP8STI/VP8SGI, because of their professional way of organizing (and operating) a DX-expedition under extreme circumstances. Thanks guys, for all your work!

PA1MR Douwe
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:55:12 AM by PA1MR » Logged
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 03:56:06 AM »

and here is the point you have to deal with ! is it that scary for you?

Yes!!  I recognise those 'friendly' penguins as nothing less than the much-feared, Greater Ham-Eating Penguin, infamous for devouring well-intentioned ham operators and leaving nothing after the meal except for their backpacks....  Grin
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »

3Y0Z still needs $214,000 to make the trip happen.  I donated already, if just 4,280 hams donate $50 they will have all the needed money.  IMHO it's now or never for those of us who do not have Bouvet

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
3Z9DX

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2017, 10:23:28 AM »

3Y0Z still needs $214,000 to make the trip happen.  I donated already, if just 4,280 hams donate $50 they will have all the needed money.  IMHO it's now or never for those of us who do not have Bouvet

73s
Rob

or 400 hams donate 100$ will make another 3y0  trip in February 2017 or 3 more operators who willing to join ?!
LA7GIA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2017, 11:56:19 PM »

I am not sure 3Y0Z will be able to raise the remaining $215.000. Remember how Intrepid struggled with their 200' goal when going to VP8. I have donated $100 to 3Y0Z and will do that to any team no matter who was first to announce their trip, small or large team.

Unless we see a real boost in donations, I am afraid we will see 3Y0Z cancelled within summer 2017 because of lack of funding (or they will have to come up with another 10 operators.)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »

I don't think the $215,000 short-fall takes the NCDXF pledge into account.  On the 3Y0Z website it shows the NCDXF logo however when I searched the NCDXF website it doesn't list 3Y0Z as a grant recipient.  My guess is that the NCDXF has pledged support however the money has not been transferred over.  Since NCDXF donated $50,000 to VK0EK I would assume 3Y0Z would also get $50,000 if not more.  The $50,000 grant will reduce the short-fall to $165,000.  There's still a year left for fundraising and currently there's no major dxpeditions competing with 3Y0Z.  I believe 3Y0G will meet the $165,000 target.

http://www.ncdxf.org/pages/news.html

Jonathan W6GX
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »

Most interesting.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:41:47 PM by MM0NDX » Logged

KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »

Best of luck to all involved.

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975