The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between the ARRL Handbook and Operating Manual?  (Read 10354 times)
KB1ODG

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »

What is the difference between the ARRL Handbook and Operating Manual?  I own the 8th edition Operating Manual, which was helpful for me to understand etiquette and procedures and explaining all the various activities that I could do with ham radio. But what is in the Handbook? It is a but pricey for me so I don't want to buy it if it's not going to be of any use to me. The description on ARRL web site doesn't help me to understand what is inside, and same goes for Amazon. So, what do I get with the handbook and how is it different from the Operating Manual?
N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 12:42:02 PM »

The Handbook is mainly a technical reference and project book. It is costly but you also get a CD/DVD with it. Generally ham technical stuff doesn't change that much in a year, so you can get away with buying a used one from a few years ago and it is well worth it. In fact I just bought a 20017 to update from my 2010. Smiley

Later, Bill N7ZAL (ex. WA2DPB, WB3BOC, N2FWS)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 03:17:40 PM »

The description on ARRL web site doesn't help me to understand what is inside...

http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Handbook-2017-Hardcover-Edition/

ARRL Handbook (2017 Hardcover Edition)
Advancing Radio Science and Technology

The ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications is the standard for applied theory and practical information concerning the fundamentals of radio electronics, circuit design and equipment, radio signal transmission and propagation, antennas, construction practices, and much more. Each chapter is filled with the most up-to-date knowledge representative of the wide and ever-expanding range of interests among radio amateurs. There are practical, hands-on projects for all skill levels, from simple accessories and small power supplies, to legal-limit amplifiers and high-gain antennas.

This 94th edition of The ARRL Handbook is a cornerstone of radio experimentation, discovery, and achievement. First introduced in 1926 as The Radio Amateur's Handbook, today’s Handbook is a comprehensive technical reference used by radio amateurs, experimenters, students, and practicing engineers.

Always Updated! New projects and information in this edition include…
A Revised Approach to Measuring Crystal Parameters
A High-Performance IF and Dual-band Preamp Project
Decoding Fox-1 Satellite Telemetry
An RTL-SDR Receiver Project
Updated Predictions for Solar Cycle 24 and Beyond
Updated Details on the Placement of Filter Stubs
A 30, 17, and 12 Meter Antenna Project
A Raspberry Pi Network Server/Client for Antenna Rotators

CD-ROM Inside
Includes all of the fully searchable text and illustrations in the printed book, as well as expanded supplemental content, software, PC board templates, and other support files.

With all due respect, this looks like a pretty comprehensive description to me.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 05:25:42 PM »

The Handbook is mainly a technical reference and project book. It is costly but you also get a CD/DVD with it. Generally ham technical stuff doesn't change that much in a year, so you can get away with buying a used one from a few years ago and it is well worth it.

For sure!

The major sections listed in the 2016 edition Table of Contents:

1 - Introduction: What is Amateur Radio
2 - Fundamental Theory - Electrical Fundamentals
3 - Analog Basics
4 - Digical Basics
5 - Practical Design and Principals - RF Techniques
6 - Computer-Aided Circuit Design
7 - Power Supplies
8 - Modulation
9 - Oscillators and Synthesizers
10 - Mixers, Modulators and Demodulators
11- RF and AF Filters
12 - Receivers
13 - Transmitters and Transceivers
14 - Telemetry and Navigation
15 - DSP and Software Radio Design
16- Digital Modes
17 - RF Power Amplifiers
18 - Repeaters
19 - Antenna Systems and Radio Propagation
20- Transmission Lines
21 - Antennas
22 - Equipment Construction and Maintenance
23 - Construction Techniques
24 - Station Accessories
25 - Test Equipment and Measurements
26 - Troubleshooting and Maintenance
27 - RF Interference
28 - Station Assembly and Management - Safety
29 - Station Assembly and Management - Assembling a Station
CD-ROM Operating Supplements
   Space Communications
   Digital Communications
   Image Communications
   2016 Annual Transceiver Survey

I would expect that the 2017 edition, and editions going back a few years from 2016, are pretty much the same. Going back too many years would not have info on some of the newest techniques -- DSP, SDR, some digital modes, etc.
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:46:07 PM »

See if you can borrow a copy from your local library and decide if you want a copy.

The public library is a much underused resource that you are paying for with your tax dollars.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 05:26:31 AM »

See if you can borrow a copy from your local library and decide if you want a copy.

The public library is a much underused resource that you are paying for with your tax dollars.

Good idea.

But the edition found in a local library might be several years old since they usually don't have sufficient patron demand or budget to acquire new ones every year.

However, public libraries usually are quite responsive to patron requests.

Back-in-the-day when I was first licensed (1977) I found that my local library had the U.S. Callbook in its reference section, and, because they viewed it as a "periodical", ordered a new one each year. However, they were unaware of the DX edition or the supplements, and when I called those to their attention, they ordered those, as well.  Cheesy
2NDUNAMENDED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »

I second this. I'd long forgotten how great a resource the local library can be until I got into ham radio. My local library has saved me quite a bit of money on books, ham related especially. If a book proves really valuable, you can always buy it.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 11:20:11 AM »

What is the difference between the ARRL Handbook and Operating Manual?

No offense, but seriously?  How long have you been licensed, man....isn't a KB1 prefix from the 1980s?

WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »

Night, meet Day. Day, meet Night.
AF7EC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 11:09:12 PM »

No offense, but seriously?  How long have you been licensed, man....isn't a KB1 prefix from the 1980s?

What does it matter 'man'?  He asked a perfectly valid question.  It's unhelpful responses like this that keep people from asking questions in the first place...

An imperfect being created by a perfect God Cheesy
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 01:04:29 AM »

Night, meet Day. Day, meet Night.

Perhaps had the original question been postulated better..............

The operating manual is nice to read but if I had to choose one to buy, the Handbook wins hands down. Any year. Get an old one and a newerish one.
Yes, the library is your friend should they happen to have a copy of either to investigate ahead of time. If you consider ordering used through Amazon or such, be aware if the original book had a CD, the used copy most probably/certainly will not. Hamfests are another source for books as well. Is there a used book store within reasonable distance to save on freight?

That's really all I have. Good luck, enjoy!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 04:39:49 AM »

He asked a perfectly valid question.  It's unhelpful responses like this that keep people from asking questions in the first place...

I guess it was "valid" if you're a typically lazy internet addicted American who wants everyone else to do your thinking.  Those are two boilerplate publications the League has published for many decades.  Anyone putting forth even the least amount of effort would know this, and especially someone who's been licensed for over thirty years.  Good grief.
KB3FEI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 05:49:07 AM »

It is the difference between STEM and story. de kb3fei.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 08:45:52 AM »

Quote from: AF7EC
He asked a perfectly valid question.  It's unhelpful responses like this that keep people from asking questions in the first place...

Quote from: K9MHZ
I guess it was "valid" if you're a typically lazy internet addicted American who wants everyone else to do your thinking.  Those are two boilerplate publications the League has published for many decades.  Anyone putting forth even the least amount of effort would know this, and especially someone who's been licensed for over thirty years.  Good grief.

why so bitter? if you really are better than these 'typical' types you are quick to denigrate, why not pity them?   Wink
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 08:50:21 AM »

Quote from: AF7EC

Quote from: K9MHZ

why so bitter? if you really are better than these 'typical' types you are quick to denigrate, why not pity them?   Wink

Probably because he was born with a complete and thorough understand of every aspect of amateur radio and has never had to look anything up for himself. We should be in awe of someone with such knowledge is in our midst.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: