The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between the ARRL Handbook and Operating Manual?  (Read 10329 times)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »

Oh brother.  IU, that was so ridiculous.  Didn't you take some kind of composition writing at that "fine"institution represented in your vanity call?  Something about all of this doesn't surprise me a bit.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 07:37:53 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 09:04:27 AM »

In the 1970s and 1980s, I thought the ARRL (Radio Amateur's) Handbook was the greatest thing, and I learned a ton from its technical discussions and project examples, from HF through to VHF and UHF electronics and antennas.  I also heavily relied on its transistor, tube, and later the integrated circuit data tables. It had projects galore! I bought the latest editions almost every year or two.  The operating manual wasn't so necessary to update frequently, since I found a lot of what it covered was also included in the Handbook.

Fast forward to now.  I can't make as much use of the modern Handbook because it has less info than I need. I want useful and handy data on components, construction info on leading edge hardware and software projects (I don't want to just download somebody else's project software..  tell me how to hombrew it like you tell me how to build the hardware), VHF/UHF/Microwave transmission and digital systems, and now it's just too dog-gone big, even though it tells me less!  I need to search for info on those topics in other books or on the web instead.  I think the Handbook has a bit of a verboseness problem, written in a "chummy" kind of way and sometimes discussing contributor's opinions and experiences instead of getting to the point.

The ARRL publication QEX has had many great articles about VHF, UHF, Microwaves, and Software Defined Radios... describing their architectures, how they work, and how to build them, but this material rarely seems to make it into the Handbook. I work in the telecom industry, and I watch all the new technology action at VHF, UHF, and Microwaves, digital modes, SDR technology, advanced antenna arrays, etc. I think the Handbook content needs to converge more quickly on what hams and other communications systems really do these days if it wants to live up to its title as a "ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications".  Otherwise, just call it the "ARRL HF Amateur's Handbook", and drop the implication that it is something else.

The ARRL Operating Manual for Radio Amateurs, meanwhile, is a very handy gem in the hamshack library.  It is packed with useful info about Amateur band plans and modes, band propagation behaviours, how to set up and the operating procedures for many different transmission modes including digital and satellites, and easy to find DX info, and finally, the size is right!  I upgrade to every new edition as soon as it becomes available.

73, Ed VE3WGO

AB5S

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »

One is slightly rougher in the outhouse than the other.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »

HA!  Not bad!

I do like the Handbook, though.

W8ISK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »

I think I heard those two guys on 75 meters one night arguing if the Earth was still flat and why was I not told about that?!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: