The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zenith Royal 280  (Read 3798 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2017, 09:28:50 AM »

I recently bought a 1965 Zenith Royal 280,an 8 transistor portable from an antique shop. From here in nw FL I could hear WBAP 820 in Ft. Worth,TX, WSM 650 Nashville, TN,and WHO 1040 in Des Moines, IA. The dial shows two "CD" marks,for civil defense. The reception is fantastic and it has real slow fine tuning, which makes it great for dx listening. I'm hearing a
"tick tick" sound across the band,which sounds like WWV or CHU,not sure what it is. Also was hearing "RR" in cw,but nothing else in cw. Any idea what that could be? Plenty of Spanish speaking stations, possibly Miami or Cuba. It came with the leather case,not mint but real good shape. Also has the stand and owner's manual. Just wish I had one of these years ago.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

I also have some old Zeniths. They seem to do better at DX than most brands and were touted as 'Long Distance' by marketing.
 Commander McDonald and the founders were proud of their radios made famous by MacMillan's arctic expedition. How exciting to be able to listen in on the explorers by shortwave radio!
The wavemagnet (ferrite or coil antenna) was a popular selling point and could really pull in the DX. They were an upmarket radio and cost a little more than most brands.
 I have a Transoceanic G500, the AN/GRR-5 military set, a 9-S-367 console and some table radios, some are solid state. I always liked the round dials. All are very sensitive and do quite well at DX.
 I could only wish for a Stratosphere.  Grin

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »

This has a huge tuning cap,more like what you would see in a table radio. The tuning is super smooth, like vernier tuning. I can only imagine how good the Transoceanic is. Someone took care of it,as there are no cracks in the leather case. They came in a few different colors, this one is black.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 04:05:01 PM »

I came across an antique store on vacation in October that had a large box of mostly pocket radios/micro-cassette tape recorders/color pocketvisions from the 60's-90's. They had been cleared out of a house from a realtor after the owner had passed and the family apparently left them behind.
 They all need work to some degree. I looked up brand names and model numbers on the internet when I got them home and none of them were particularly valuable. Most were $10 or $15 radios. Some are in their original box with a battery, earphone and manual.
 I got a Jade J162 working for my sister and gave it to her for Christmas. She had a Jade pocket radio back around 1970. (I think that I was the one who took it apart and broke it on her.)  Roll Eyes
 There is a Zenith Royal 16 in the collection that looks like a shaver in a hard plastic clamshell case. I haven't looked at it yet, but may bump it up on the to-do list now.
 I have seen the Zenith Royal 500 (owl eye) transistor pocket radios that are quite collectable and therefore priced a little too steep for me. Some of the less collectable old radios (and old cars) are actually the better deal and are just fine by me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: