The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter trouble with an AL-80B amp.  (Read 3711 times)
WW8X

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2017, 01:01:45 PM »

I bought a used AL-80B that seems to work real well. Except I can't tune it on 10 meters... no meter movement when applying drive. The HV meter shows normal. It supposedly was modified at the factory to tune the band. There is no 'green' wire at the 10 meter coil on the PCB at the back of the amp. Instead, there is a 'white' wire that is neatly coiled in several tiny loops with an unsoldered free end attached to nothing. The other end is soldered to the board. It is not grounded.

First: Is this the way the factory would have modified the amp for 10 meters? I've read you need to cut the 'green' wire. In this case, there is no green wire... just that small white coil of wire.

Second: I've heard that on 10 meters this is amp is very touchy to tune and it can be tough to find the 'sweet spot', don't know if that's true or not. I haven't been able to get meters to move.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »

Generally the factory WILL NOT do the 10 meter mod.  You should take a digital photo of that area of the amp and post it here so we can see what is going on.
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »

I have done the 10 meter mod on many Ameritron amps including the AL 80B.  I have never seen anything other than a green wire being the one to cut.  I agree with the previous post---I have never known the factory to do the mod UNLESS it was an export model.  Post a picture of the PCB
WW8X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »

Thanks for your replies. So crowded back there, it'shard to take a clear photo, but here's an image:
The fellow I purchased it from said he's has it on 10 meters.

K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »

Does it work OK on 12 meters with the band switch on AUX? If so this would show the band switch is OK since both 10 and 12 use the same switch.

Frank
WW8X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »

Well guys, feeling a little foolish after posting this question. I was able to get it work on 28.500 with 800 W with 80 watts of drive. Must have been my rookie tuning technique. Thanks for your responses.

N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »

Good deal. I never had any issue with any tuning of my 80B on any band. Hope you got it all sorted. For the price it's a great amp. I get really good reports with my TS2000, mostly on the audio quality and I'm using the HH mike.
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:24:35 PM »

Don't feel foolish.  I recently bought a new Ameritron amp and like I have done many times before cut the green wire.  It seemed to not want to load on 10 meters with load and plate settings anywhere near what the manual suggests.  Finally found the "sweet spot" and it plays fine
WW8X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 06:47:18 AM »

Thanks again to W1QJ, N7WR, K4RVN, N3DT for your responses and taking the time to help out. Once you find that elusive sweet spot both with Plate and Load near full right hand marks... it does the job. It's a good amp and happy to have it. 73 WW8X
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »

10M on my P and L are at ~9 and ~7. Near what the book says.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: