The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C CRANE TWIN COIL FERRITE AM ANTENNA  (Read 12869 times)
K1QQQ

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

C CRANE TWIN COIL FERRITE AM ANTENNA

Anybody have one ?

I got one years ago and never tried it. The problem now is I lost the cables, etc. There are 3 hardware? type devices plus a 9v adapter. Odd ball connectors. Buy replacement cables at the price of a new unit?

If anybody has one maybe help is noting what cables/connectors came with it ?

It might be useful for 500khz to 1750khz to try to get rid of some of that NOISE !! (Huh?)
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 12:19:01 AM »

I have one. The operating manual shows an 1/8" mono headphone-to-RCA cable, PS2 cable and RCA female with bare wire ends for the receiver antenna connections:
 http://www.ccrane.com/c/pdfs/instructionmanuals/twin-coil-ferrite-am-antenna.pdf
 The twin-ferrite by Chris Justice does reduce AM-DX fading with a balanced 'diversity' effect. It isn't perfect, but it isn't snake-oil either. It can make a positive improvement in reception:
 https://www.google.com/patents/US20020003503
I also have the CCraneSW portable with the built-in twin-ferrite.

WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:49:58 AM »

It does work to null out some of the noise as well as undesired co-channel stations by rotating the antenna. 
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:05:56 AM »

I don't have that model of it but I know the twin coil loopstick in my Sangean PR-D5 is excellent. The SiLabs chip uses the twin coils in some way that imitates the using of the second coil to fine tune the loopstick.

If I had a twin coil standalone, I would think it would definitely worth it to try to get it working.  Looks like the amplification in the unit (looks like a small amp?) would also help.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:40:56 PM »

The active antenna amplifier part is OK if kept at a very low level. A well-designed RF amp (front end) in your receiver will actually start cutting in undesirable AGC if the antenna input is too strong. I did find the pre-selector portion on the control useful for reducing interference from strong adjacent stations.
 Orienting the twin-stick away from noise and toward best signal is key.
I also have a hard-wired version of the Select-a-tenna 541-M that is fun to play around with. Some older car 12 volt AM radios have excellent sensitivity/selectivity for AM-DX.
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »

To give you an idea of how useful the CCrane TCA can be, here are a couple of examples from my AM BCB listening session this evening from my Michigan location north of Detroit.

On 1610, rotating the antenna, was able to null out a loud local TIS pest and receive CHHA Toronto running 6250 watts about 200 miles east of here.  Tuning down to 1550, local 10kw French language station in Windsor CBEF came in loud and clear.  By manipulating the antenna, it was possible to completely null it out and clearly bring in WDLR in central Ohio about 170 miles to the south.  WDLR pattern is towards the Columbus market (away from me) and it only runs 29 watts at night ! 

IMHO, it would be worthwhile getting the cables and putting it in service. 
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »

I have a Justice too. I use it out in the kitchen with my Korting Delmonico tabletop. It is a very effective MW DX antenna. Here is a clip I did a few years ago when I had it on my old Sony tabletop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7btsYP3zZYQ

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »

ok. Thanks. I guess I need a PS2 cable besides the RCA.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgsPLZrhQdNLo0_hvjWVIGTUN0M1

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgsPLZrhQdNLo0_hvjWVIGTUN0M1

I am kinda new to NOISE AND APARTMENTS and if one could just get an antenna somewhere with less NOISE wonderful.

Is that radio in video a Sony ICF-9740 ? Probably not. That radio is/was excellent for a Table Radio and I'd still pick one up on Ebay if I did not already have a couple.

NOISE NOISE   Defeats having DX type portable radios or any radio if you can't listen to 530-1700  etc.
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 12:21:38 AM »

grrr    ps2 cable ordered and arrived    2 male ends  toooo fat to fit in sockets

So onto ps2 research

CCrane I asked via email once and all I got was ::: what is ps2?? and a fog response

onward   
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »

Try giving CCrane a landline call and talking to a real person.  They have helped me in the past on an unrelated tech issue with another of their products.  Spent a lot of time with me on the phone, very helpful.  Hopefully you can order the correct cables direct from them.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »

The CC twin coil has the brand name 'Sangean' printed on the box. I believe that it was manufactured by Sangean for sale by CC:
 http://img0110o.psstatic.com/155045327_-crane-justice-am-twin-coil-ferrite-antennamade-by-the-.jpg
 I agree with speaking to them in person as being more helpful. I don't know if Sangean ever marketed this Justice antenna separately under their own name.
 If you had to, I imagine that you could hard-wire a shielded multi-conductor cable between the 2 modules. I think that the plug-in cables were supplied just to ease portability and packaging.
KC0EKQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by PS2 cables. I know what they ARE, certainly, but why would you need to order them? The replacement lonnnnng cables connecting the antenna unit to the control/tuner unit can be had at C Crane for $25 to $35 and recently they were on sale at only $10. Coming out from the control unit you need a male mono 1/8" on one end and whichever antenna connection/jack your receiver requires on the other end. Adapters are our friends. I've used a number of configurations and adapters for various radios and the performance of the antenna system has never suffered for it. Then of course there is the power supply which plugs into the control unit. You shouldn't need to spend the same amount of dough as for a whole new item, just a few cables. And this antenna works so well for me that I have two of them, and a third for backup and travel use. Turning and tuning is the key to nulling noise and unwanted signals. I hope you get it working -- it's pretty simple -- because I know you will get some real relief from your noise issues if you place the antenna in the right place, oriented the right way. Good luck.

Lee
KC0EKQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 02:19:12 AM »

Just an addendum, right now CCrane has the long antenna unit cables on steep sale -- the 25' cable is normally $24.99, but right now sells for $6.99, and the 50' which is normally $34.99 only $9.99. Each comes with a cable coupler, too.

http://www.ccrane.com/Accessories?by=Category

IF anyone is interested, that's a really good deal right now.

Best --

Lee
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »

On the antenna unit the PS2 plug will not accept normal PS2 cable. Maybe some of plastic on cable could be ground down to allow it to go in further.-- or other PS2 cables have  slimmer ends than the one I bought --

Yes..I bought the 50 foot cable from C Crane for $9.99 sale. The PS2 ends fit. This unit is now off their inventory/products ? Seems like it was worth it as far as enhancing listening.
KC0EKQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 10:57:04 PM »

You mean it seems Crane has stopped offering the Twin Coil antenna? Or the special price for the cables? I would think they'd keep offering the TCA, it's a popular and affordable product that works well and is easy to use. I will have to check in on CCrane. And glad you were able to take advantage of the special pricing on that cable. It really is a good price for 50 feet of CCrane (proprietary!) cabling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: