The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WSM -- Grand Ole Opry  (Read 8888 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:33:16 PM »

It got a little boring a couple of weeks back, nothing on 2 meters and nothing on C.P.D. Citywide 1 or Zone1.  What the heck, I'll try for WSM & The Grand Ole Opry on the Transoceanic 8G005.

WSM was "right on the nose" at 650 KHz and a slight turn of the whole rig peaked the signal.  Kind of noisy, might be AC hum and a 68 KV power line less than 100 feet due south.  And the dimmer for the kitchen chandelier -- OUCH!  I think i persuaded the XYL not to turn it on between 1900 and 2100 Central.

Yeah, I know the Grand Ole Opry is streamed live and is on Sirius XM but this is REAL radio not a highly processed product.

Really relaxin'.  Leaning all the way back, reading a good mystery and listening to the Grand Ole' Opry the old-fashioned way.

N9LCD

Smiley Smiley Smiley
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »

It got a little boring a couple of weeks back, nothing on 2 meters and nothing on C.P.D. Citywide 1 or Zone1.  What the heck, I'll try for WSM & The Grand Ole Opry on the Transoceanic 8G005.

WSM was "right on the nose" at 650 KHz and a slight turn of the whole rig peaked the signal.  Kind of noisy, might be AC hum and a 68 KV power line less than 100 feet due south.  And the dimmer for the kitchen chandelier -- OUCH!  I think i persuaded the XYL not to turn it on between 1900 and 2100 Central.

Yeah, I know the Grand Ole Opry is streamed live and is on Sirius XM but this is REAL radio not a highly processed product.

Really relaxin'.  Leaning all the way back, reading a good mystery and listening to the Grand Ole' Opry the old-fashioned way.

N9LCD

Smiley Smiley Smiley
   BCB DXing can be fun!  I remember as a kid in the Bronx listening to the Oriole's baseball games from WBAL in Baltimore, when the birds were in a tight pennant race with the Yankees!!  Smiley
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »

BCB used to be really fun to listen to. Nowadays most of it is satellite fed canned programs with only a single local ID at the top of the hour to keep the FCC happy. If you can find a true local oriented station you have a real gem that should be appreciated while it lasts. Nice to hear that WSM is still airing the Grand Ole Opry. The Opry hall was destroyed a few years ago in a horrendous flood and there was real concern that it would not be rebuilt.
KI4OYV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »

Hello all!
WSM is going strong out of Nashville. The grand Ole Opry was cleaned up after the flood of 2010 and is one of Nashvilles top attractions. The original broadcast was out or the Ryman Auditorium in downtown Nashville where all the shows were put on. If your ever in the Nashville area, be sure to visit this piece of history.

Enjoy the tunes
KI4OYV
Art
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »

I have been listening to the Grand Ol' Opry over WSM for many years on Friday and Saturday nights here in Lexington, KY.  I've also actually attended the Opry in Nashville about a half dozen times over the last three decades.  Even if you are not a big country music fan, the "history of it all" is impressive.
KK9H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »

Years ago when I was about 10 or so, I used to tune around the AM band late at night on my clock radio. WSM 650 was a station that always came in well and the Grand Ole Opry was a show that I often listened to from the same Chicago suburb I live in today. Little did I know back then that I would later attend college at the University of the South just down I-24 from Nashville followed by a couple years of grad school at Vanderbilt University right in Nashville itself. On a couple occasions I actually attended the Grand Ole Opry and it was very memorable. Once I even drove out to the WSM transmitter site just to see where that signal I had heard so many years earlier had originated.

To this day, I still like to tune around the AM band at night and WSM is still as prominent as it was all those years ago.

73, Don KK9H
Northfield, IL
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »

WSM usually has a good signal in here (Michigan) every night...  sounds like a local.
The station and the Blaw-Knox tower are classic. 
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »

I'm actually listening to WSM as I type this. I found a Zenith Royal 280 at a local antique store. Complete with stand, leather case, and operating manual. All in great shape. What really impresses me the most is the fine tuning this has. Thanks to the big tuning cap they used. Plenty of audio, even at low setting. I bet it was a big hit with teenagers when it came out in 1965. Quite a quality product.
WA9CFK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:43:24 AM »

Whenever I am driving at night I can almost always get WSM from Indianapolis to South Bend.

For those of use who are old enough to remember tubes, scanning the BC band for stations at night was a common practice. You could get Cajun from LA, Western Swing from TX, real Country music from TN and of course Rock and Roll from all over.

Clear channel broadcasts, deep signal fades, storm static, turning the radio for best reception were all part of the adventure. That adventure lead to SWL and eventually a ham license.   

Unfortunately or fortunately that has given way to far more reliable reception, even a lot of the SWL bands have given way to the internet.

Time rolls on.   

W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »

BCB DXing can be fun!  I remember as a kid in the Bronx listening to the Oriole's baseball games from WBAL in Baltimore, when the birds were in a tight pennant race with the Yankees!!  Smiley
Smiley
Unfortunately, WBAL does not carry the Orioles anymore, an FM station has taken over the contract to originate Oriole Baseball games.  This is unfortunate to me, because I feel that AM radio and play-by-play baseball go together.  The FM station is an insult to the game. Huh

In order to get the Orioles on AM, I tune to 1430 WNAV in Annapolis.  This signal is very weak and scratchy, and seems just right!  Grin
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 09:27:30 PM »

I've been listening tonight. They have a great show called, "Way back Wednesdays". Old country from as far back as the 40's
Good stuff. Making a country listener out of me... Wink
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »

an FM station has taken over the contract to originate Oriole Baseball games.  This is unfortunate to me, because I feel that AM radio and play-by-play baseball go together.  The FM station is an insult to the game. Huh

just doesn't sound right on FM   Sad 
KC4HGH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »

Years ago, my daughter and a friend went to The Grand Ole Opry during a trip.  She was texting my wife and we knew what show they were going to attend, so I set up my big ol' Sony AM/FM radio and we listened in.  I told my wife, "Text her that we can hear her and her friend screaming in the audience".  She replied, "Really?"  Cheesy

Kinda funny, listening at the same time they were there.  Still got that old Sony, still sounds better than modern-day fare....
K0SBV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »

Over the years, listening to all the clear channel stations like WSM, WBZ, and KFI late at night was a lot of fun and added to my enjoyment of BCB DXing. Two things the FCC did that ruined the AM Band for me were: a) breaking up the clear channels, so that many regional stations could come on those frequencies and broadcast satellite programming at night, and b) the creation of the expanded band (1610 - 1700) which added many new Spanish-Speaking stations I could listen to.   
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »

BCB DXing can be fun!  I remember as a kid in the Bronx listening to the Oriole's baseball games from WBAL in Baltimore, when the birds were in a tight pennant race with the Yankees!!  Smiley
Smiley
Unfortunately, WBAL does not carry the Orioles anymore, an FM station has taken over the contract to originate Oriole Baseball games.  This is unfortunate to me, because I feel that AM radio and play-by-play baseball go together.  The FM station is an insult to the game. Huh

In order to get the Orioles on AM, I tune to 1430 WNAV in Annapolis.  This signal is very weak and scratchy, and seems just right!  Grin

I totally agree. It almost seems like AM radio and baseball were made for each other. Locally they run the Indians games on the flagship
AM station WTAM, and on a local FM powerhouse as well. I'd rather listen to games on the AM station. It just "feels" right. Baseball on FM
just lacks that certain ambiance.

I always found it to be fun to tune around the AM bands on a summer evening to see how many major league games I could pick up.
St Louis, New York, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Detroit, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, were all fun to listen to, and easy to hear. Of course, my
favorite teams are the Cleveland Indians, and whoever is playing the Yankees.

It's even more fun to listen to the other teams' announcers when your team is playing them. Listening to the Detroit announcers,
or the Boston announcers when the Indians were playing the Tigers or Red Sox was interesting, because you got to hear "the other
side of the story".

Many years ago, when Montreal still had the Expos, I could tune down around the bottom of the AM band and find a Canadian station
broadcasting the Expos games, in French. Which was very cool when I was taking French classes in Jr High School and High School.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
(Just a old kid from Cleveland...)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:47:19 AM by N8AUC » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: