The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St Brandon DXpedition - 3B7  (Read 24297 times)
K5GS

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2018, 06:32:06 PM »

worked them on 40m ssb about an hour ago with 100w and my 80m loop @ 6m the pile up was way less and he was switching between eu asia etc. only listening up 10 and waiting til he got a full call . my friend even worked him qrp . they will be getting a donation as per usual cause they made an effort to listen for and work us vk's. Smiley

01:31z   Booming signal into Tucson,  7060 Listening 7170,  hearing stations across the USA working him.

Cheers,
GS

N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2018, 08:17:05 PM »

the 3B7A operator had to ask for my call a couple of times

Simon, it wasn't because he didn't hear you, but because he couldn't believe XZ2A was calling him.  Grin Grin Grin

P.S. I'm hoping a few years down the road you will give me a new DIGI mode country on 20m.  Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
I could use one of those also?

Obie N5VYS                                                         
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »

Maybe the below spot explains 1st call QSO's from my big mobile antenna on 40 & 80 down here in the deep south ?

DX de N7TR:       7060.0  3B7A         QSX 7170 LP 185 deg

Then fruitless calling on the higher bands. I have not heard them better than S3 on those bands. The mobile antenna just isn't getting it done. 20M and above. I need to be farther north or east. Or need a yagi for those Short Path bands.

Had to work em twice on 40M phone to get the /mobile entered.
XZ2A

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2018, 09:39:52 PM »

Simon, it wasn't because he didn't hear you, but because he couldn't believe XZ2A was calling him

LoL, probably true Smiley

Actually, that's a bit of an issue for me.  While I'm in Myanmar and very happy to have QSOs with anyone who needs an XZ land contact, I also want to make contacts with different DXCCs for my own 'DX' challenge. 

So I worry that if I start calling a DXpedition station, then all the other stations on frequency and trying for a contact with that DX station, will suddenly start chasing me!

One good point is that if I do any contesting, I am sure to be placed in the points results as #1 station for the country of Myanmar...... Smiley
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2018, 10:33:17 PM »

anyone know why the online log isnt working?  i think i finally got them for ATNO on 40m SSB, but it was rough copy on my end so i'll need to see it in the log to rest assured...
LA7DFA

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2018, 12:02:10 AM »

There was some problems with Clublog, but the log is back online now.
Check time for last upload, as they only does it once a day.

The signals has been mostly weak on the higher frequencies here @63N, but they hear really well.
So do not give up, as long as you can hear them!

In this part of the solar cycle, VOACAP predictions shows how difficult it is on long distances east-west.
West Coast -> 3B7A is hard.   For me the upcoming KH1 expeditions has similar propagation, and 30-17m is probably what will be workable.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:09:40 AM by LA7DFA » Logged
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2018, 04:12:57 AM »

"The signals has been mostly weak on the higher frequencies here @63N, but they hear really well.
So do not give up, as long as you can hear them!"

Spent hours calling on 20,17,15. I thought they were deaf. Maybe they have attenuators switched in on receive to cut back the pile up ? Then mask the weak signals too ? A few times on 17M I think they heard me. Just couldn't quite get my call.

73 N5UD mobile
LA7DFA

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2018, 05:41:13 AM »

Its probably a larger competition, when the band is open to NA.  No reason to attenuate signals on those bands, since they are many hops from populated areas.

Anyway they are now logged on 12m-160m CW and one RTTY QSO, so I cannot complain with just simple wire antennas.  Smiley
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2018, 01:46:19 PM »

Well, now that the thunderstorm is moving out I just tuned up to 20m CW and they are super weak. They should be very loud at this time of day   Huh

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2018, 02:02:03 PM »

Tried again from another location with clear shot north. Same results mostly.  1 1/2 hours calling with now  S5 on the meter. Zilch on 17M SSB. I could hear many NA calling, and spread out. Yet 3B7A does not respond to the callers. Something not right here, there.
I worked VK5MAV at noise level S zero in/out and can't work 3B7A with S5.

After doing this mobile gig for several years. One gets a "feel" for what is workable. S5 signal for hours should be workable. 500 watts on this end.

Oh well.....at least I got them on 40 and 80. I have to repeat. All were first call responses. Go figure ? That 80M Q was almost shocking. I know that short mobile antenna is lousy on 80M. Even with the tophat loops. I found an acorn for sure with that QSO. I heard the op laughing at my excitement.

73 N5UD mobile
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »

thankfully the log update shows my QSO on 40m SSB yesterday was good so i have them for the ATNO. 
Hoping to get them on CW but cant hear them on 20m at all; i did heard them light briefly during daylight here on 17m once but did not get through.
I am hoping for a chance on 40m CW where my best shot will be, but it seems like SSB is being given far more focus now on 40... (?)
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2018, 04:34:14 PM »

saw them spotted on 7010 which is not their normal 7023 spot, and after 30 minutes of trying they said N9? i repeated twice and heard them send my call back and a 599 Smiley  
thank goodness for late afternoon 40 meter prop!!! -- even though the east coast is probably much stronger than me at this time, i was able to get them on both 40 CW and SSB 90 minutes before local sunset here in Indiana

i think i caught them in the nick of time -- and after most of the big DX guns have probably worked them so the pileups arent so bad Wink -- arent they about done in a day or two?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:46:24 PM by N9KX » Logged
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »

looks like it is wrapping up but still some chances left:

Quote from:  F8DQL
SUNDAY, 15 APRIL 2018
Conditions were sad enough for this day of departure, so a little in tune with our state of mind as we leave Saint Brandon. The weather was very bad with heavy rain, wind, and a local phenomenon of mini tidal waves. This constrained us to QRX the time to secure our antennas and equipment.

The propagation was also capricious all day long with high bands not quite open until mid-afternoon. The surprise of the day will undoubtedly that we have been able to contact some NA stations on 12m! This gives us some hope for the latst night with the whole team. We will continue our efforts until the departure of the boat at sunrise. A new symbolic cap of 70,000 Qso seems to be in the line of fire!

The 80 and 160m antennas were dismountes  this morning after a good last night on these two bands. Some JA were able to be contacted on 160 with very good signals coming at the time of our sunset, as for the NA they had to wait for our SR but many could again be logged.

To summarize now the overall planning 3B7, 6 members of the team leave the South Island tomorrow Monday at dawn, this marks the first end of the expedition. However, 3B7A will remain sporadically on the air for two days as F4FET Guillaume and F4HAU DiƩgo will take another boat on Wednesday morning. They will keep with them antennas for all bands (except 80/160) and two stations. They will no longer be able to update the log and it will be necessary to wait until Thursday to find the final version on Clublog. After corrections, we will open QSL requests via OQRS.

Last night so for the majority of us, I immediately return to the pile-ups to continue to give you an opportunity to contact Saint Brandon.

see: http://www.saintbrandondx.com/en/april-15th/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:08:13 PM by N9KX » Logged
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »

"The signals has been mostly weak on the higher frequencies here @63N, but they hear really well.
So do not give up, as long as you can hear them!"

Spent hours calling on 20,17,15. I thought they were deaf. Maybe they have attenuators switched in on receive to cut back the pile up ? Then mask the weak signals too ? A few times on 17M I think they heard me. Just couldn't quite get my call.

73 N5UD mobile
At least you are hearing them on those bands Tony, very weak this far south.

Obie N5VYS
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2018, 05:02:30 AM »

Oh well.....at least I got them on 40 and 80. I have to repeat. All were first call responses. Go figure ? That 80M Q was almost shocking. I know that short mobile antenna is lousy on 80M. Even with the tophat loops. I found an acorn for sure with that QSO. I heard the op laughing at my excitement.

They have vertical dipole phased arrays. 4 elements low bands which can do amazing things especially 40M/80M when you're on an island in the middle of saltwater.

I think they were doing great on 17M (I got them there on CW Saturday) with their 2-element VDA, but at low part of solar cycle, the 17M opening is simply not what you get on low bands.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: