The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: caravan RV antenna solution  (Read 3310 times)
2E0DED

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »

I travel all over the UK working and do so with a small caravan as my base unit. I like it as it suits my working life style as i can wrap it up and leave it at the weekend and go home to the wife.
But to use the radio at night it has quite a few restrictions

so no long wires or G5RV antennas, no yagis or beam and frames, so this leaves me mainly using simple mobile antenna units and a mag mount glued to the caravan roof, which is ok as anything is better than nothing but its not far off nothing!

so i brought a six section aluminium tube vertical antenna 40m to 10m. as that suits my style and i dont bother with 80m much anyway.

this unit fits inside each other and is held in place with a jubilee clip at each section. which is ok but still lacked some ease of use interface

it gets put up on Tuesday night, stays up Tuesday to Wednesday and down on Thursday evening as late as i like. some caravan sites wont allow it left up in the day time so its up and down in less than six hours some nights

so last week whilst i was resiting the caravan and tent side awning i saw some thing that twigged the old brain

tent pole spring clips

these babies would allow me to have set assembly points which makes a quick up and a simpler down in haste

so i put two sections together in the right order and then used the jubilee clip to hold it together and drilled a 6mm hole (1/4" in old english)

makes a good and reasonable strong joint fit but makes life a lot easier to get things going when in a hurry
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »

Nice set up!  When I go out into the boonies with a van, I take along an end fed and a telescoping fiberglass pole fastened to the vehicle!  I use the Ultimax 100 end fed antenna, which is only around 24 feet long and will get me 80 meters as well!!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: