The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RadioShack's successor preparing for bankruptcy  (Read 15022 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 06:02:01 AM »

And, there are a growing number of ways to order groceries and hot food over the internet and have it delivered.

I don't like the idea of ordering the groceries over the internet. You won't get the milk and stuff with furthest off sell by date - it will be the stuff that reaches the date the soonest. Pre-packed vegetables? Generally more expensive per pound that loose ones that you choose, plus the pre-pack ones may well be more than you want. Buying electronic components is a different matter though, although you may need to be careful if you are using a parameter not usually necessary e.g. 1N4008s used as RF switches - not all makes have the long trr that is needed - they were never designed for such an application.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »

but you can pick your vendor on most sites like Mouser and DigiKey, assuming there is stock.  pre-ROHS, there were usually several vendors' options in stock.  post-ROHS several years, not necessarily the case.

as for perishables and fruit, you can't beat picking through the display in person.  there are truly "food deserts" in pockets around a city, where the po' folks live, and they're stuck with whatever is at the gas station.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2017, 01:51:31 PM »

Earlier this week my local Radio Shack had big signs, "Clearance sale, 40% to 50% off." Went inside, sure enough many of the shelves were empty. Went to the area where they stock components, and found that those big metal cabinets full of components had been sold. A total of 28 drawers (four stacks of seven) was already marked "sold" for a total of $400. A pretty good deal if you have the space for them!

The "sale" sign said "only 4 days left" so it looks like the store may close. I didn't bother to ask the staff, since there's no guarantee they would have the right info anyway.

I've told this story before, in another thread: A few years ago I went into that Radio Shack and when I got to the till and presented my pile of components, the guy behind the counter asked me why I was buying them. I said, "I'm building an RF preamplifier." His response: "Wow!!!! You actually build stuff??? What's it for???"

Thank goodness I also have an independent electronic-component store nearby that is very well stocked. It doesn't have everything and it is pricier than buying online, but I make a point of purchasing a fair amount of components there. The sales people are knowledgeable and helpful!

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »

Second that. Lotsa memories there. I think I used a color computer once to do rtty.
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »

Second that. Lotsa memories there. I think I used a color computer once to do rtty.

I had one of those as well. With the cartridges! I also had their first Portable computer, The TRS-80 model 100! These came after I had the TRS-80 model 1.

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »

You may recall that the TRS-80 Model I only supported upper case characters. I was the originator of the lower case kit (EPROM and software) for that model. I also developed a Model 15 teletype adapter that allowed an inexpensive model 15 to be used as a printer for the model I. Later I developed a battery backed up real time clock so that you wouldn't have to reset the date and time each time you powered up. I also used the model I for a computer for automating factory test fixtures by adding a 16 bit Analog Device A/D converter. Lots of good memories of those days.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »

I also had their first Portable computer, The TRS-80 model 100! These came after I had the TRS-80 model 1.

I bought a Model 100 in about 1984, with the extra-memory option to bring it up from the standard 8K to a whopping 32K -- total cost about $2,000, mainly for the extra memory. I taught myself BASIC and wrote all sorts of programs, including one that calculated and print-formatted the daily baseball standings table for the Florida State League (I was working for  The Associated Press and got tired of calculating the standings by hand with a paper booklet). I used to write news stories on it and file them to the AP bureau from phone booths at 300 bps using acoustic couplers.

I bought a Diconix (later, Kodak) portable inkjet printer that was about the same size as the Model 100 and ran on batteries. I used the Model 100/printer combo during Desert Storm when I was a reporter based in Saudi Arabia.

I still have that Model 100 and it still works. It will run for many, many hours on a single set of AA batteries. It weighs just under 4 pounds and was amazing for its time. A few days ago I finally threw away the Diconix printer because you cannot get ink cartridges for it anymore. But the Model 100 is a keeper! It was the very first true "laptop" and when I first bought it, it attracted a lot of attention and questions from people who saw me using it on planes and in public places.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »

And how many hams remember buying their first radio there, that good old HTX-202?
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2017, 03:10:09 AM »

And how many hams remember buying their first radio there, that good old HTX-202?

The 202 was my first ham rig in 1994. I still have it. Bought it a month before my technician test.

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2017, 09:02:08 PM »

Nostalgia for Radio Shack is a wasted effort; They treated their employees poorly, had nothing but contempt for their customers and practically made every effort to melt down the business over the last 20 years.

Unfortunately the people who should suffer (the executives) have gotten away with their golden parachutes. The last few stores and their employees are just waiting for the day when the keys no longer unlock the doors or they try to cash their checks and are sent to a bankruptcy judge to get pennies on the dollar.

I had given up on them in the mid 1980's. Since then I have probably been in a Radio Shack a half-dozen times at the most. Usually to buy a roll or solder or a very cheap soldering iron because I forgot to bring one on a project. It was never an awe-inspiring experience.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2017, 05:53:25 AM »

Used to love Radio Shack.  I would always find an excuse to stop in whenever I was at the mall. Then I noticed they had become another cell phone vendor and that the stuff I was interested in was becoming increasingly expensive and hard to find.  I haven't been to a Radio Shack in over a decade.

And, yes, my first radio was the venerable 202.
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2017, 02:17:40 PM »

My fondest memory of Radio Shack?  That's where I got my first Ham license!  No, they weren't selling them.  The franchisee was a Ham so a lot of Hams hung around the store.  I was an avid CBer and enjoyed the camaraderie of talking on the radio to local folks whom you could actually meet for coffee or a beer.  I had investigated Amateur Radio but found no thrill in long distance conversations.

I had a part-time job making signs for the franchisee's side venture in a shop in the back of the store and had heard them talk about this thing called a "repeater".  There were two of them in town and you could use them to talk locally.  I inquired further and it seemed that this mode was just what I wanted.  Since I'd be working on 2 meters, I skipped Novice and went straight for the Technician class license.  At that time, Tech was mail-order only and 5 WPM code with the General Class written. 

I acquired an elmer from among the guys that hung out there.  I studied Morse Code and radio theory and took my tests on the workbench in the back of the store.  In about 6 weeks I had my Technician (C) license.  In keeping with the traditions of "elmering" (first QSO should be with him),  I telephoned my elmer to set up my first QSO.  We both went out to our cars and he called me.  I  nervously answered.  His next transmission was to congratulate me on getting my license.  I was about to thank him for his help when I keyed down and let all the smoke out of my final transistor.  Ahhhh - memories.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »

Be careful of talking about cb stuff on here there are a few that are wound WAY TO TIGHT in the hobby. Just saying . Trying to make ham radio like it was in the days of cb radio in the 1970,s the fun times. Have a joyous day and be safe. Just Saying.. Wait for it . The insults will begin from the self righteous doo-gooder association.AKA hypocrits..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP7CsIEcfV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52nwBtFEFek

A GREAT CRUISE SONG IN THE CAR FOR GOING FAST.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnj7q8ERIAA
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:02:08 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »

I went there recently to get some electrolytic capacitors for a radio I'm restoring. They had all but 1,plus a low powered soldering iron I needed. The sales person was quite informed, as well as curteous. I wish we had a chain of Mouser stores or equivalent nearby. I'd like that better than having to order online.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »

Radio shack equipment is the best. I have a 2 meter radio I purchased used 15 years ago still works great. I started out with htx 202. Wow . Why Why Why did this happen mis-management Huh?? WHY WHY WHY?Huh?.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0H3-16txwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWx6pkW3R7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBu0Z7Jib9M
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:54:37 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: