The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CAT control with RIGblaster Advantage and Yaesu FT-840  (Read 3715 times)
N4AOF

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:58:21 PM »

Has anyone here ever got this combination to work?  If so, what software were you using and were any unusual settings needed?

For those who like lots of details...
I am running Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1 and all current updates)
The RIGblaster Advantage is on COM9

I've been using FLDIGI and it handles receiving CW and most digital modes just fine (I don't have a decent transmitting antenna yet)

WB8LZR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:18:46 AM »

That brings back the memories.  I loved to used my Ft-840, but haven't had it since around 2002.  IIRC, you had to have the RS232 level shifter accessory (to go from TTL in the radio to RS232 levels for your PC).  

I didn't really use the FT-840 as a digital mode rig.  Maybe someone else can tell if there were any "gotchas" with using it that way.

Edit:  I see U R using the Rigblaster (both TTL, 232) so guess you're good to go on that point.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:21:20 AM by WB8LZR » Logged
NG9O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »

I would love some info as well. Been trying to connect the FT840 to Rigblaster Blue all week with no luck.  I was able to connect directly to HRD via usb-232 cable but now that doesn't seem to be working.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:58:08 AM »

I use a home brew interface (audio and CI-V) with my IC-735. I initially had problems with the RS-232 to CI-V converter because I had inadvertently swapped the RS-232 RX and TX wires. I had a Null Modem adapter handy which fixed the problem, until I got around to switching the wires one the interface. I built my interface before all of these commercial interfaces were available.

One difference between the IC-735 and the FT-840 is that the IC-735's CI-V port is a "two wire" bi-directional port. Whereas the FT-840 is a "three wire" system that uses separate RX and TX pins. So to go from the Rigblaster Advantage or Blue you need a RS-232 extender cable from your PC, that has all pins going straight through. Then a three wire CI-V cable (effectively a stereo extender cable) going from the Rigblaster CAT/CI-V connector to you rigs CI-V input. If you are using a Null Modem cable, the RX/TX wires will be reversed.

Your problem might also be the USB to Serial Port converter cable. I use two Prolific USB to Serial Port converter cables. One for CI-V and the other for PTT/CW Keying. They work just fine on Windows 10. But I have several other Prolific USB to Serial Port converter cables that don't work any more. I think they worked with XP, but stopped working somewhere between XP and Windows 10. The recommendation is usually to use cables with FTDI or Silabs processors. But, many of the advertisements for the converter cables don't tell you which processor is being used. Here is a link to an article on choosing a USB to Serial Port converter cable.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: