The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 60 meter split operation...How does this work???....  (Read 2074 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »

I saw these 60 meter spots last night on the DX heat:

VE9CB   5 354,9    DL6EV    QSX 5405 CW
VE9CB   5 352,0  DK1MAX   QSX 5405.00 UP 53.00

Now I don't know about other countries and their allocations, but I would like to know how split operation is possible on 60 meters, especially if you have a radio like mine (FT 857D) where the 60 meter frequencies are 5 60 meter channels on their own separate VFO....How do I do split operation?  Is it possible?.....what do I do, manually switch the receive VFO A to the 60 meter VFO by pushing the 60 meter VFO button to transmit?.....it sounds to me that this type of operation is feasible only with radios manufactured well after the 2012 change....and for the rest of us, it's rather frustrating unless we go into the radio itself and diddle it for all band transmit....makes one wonder if 60 meters is worth the effort…..any ideas?....

V
K3NRX

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:41:48 AM »

Operating privileges in the 60M band are different for the three IARU regions.  http://www.iaru.org/regions.html
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »

that's not what I am asking....obviously that's the case, otherwise the German ops in those spots would not be qsxing on 5.405...I am asking how to do split on 60 meters, and if it's feasible with a rig like mine?....
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »

Operating privileges in the 60M band are different for the three IARU regions.  http://www.iaru.org/regions.html
tell that to the US operators doing WSPR on 5.288 MHz

to answer the OP's question about split operation on 60 meters.....
the 857d ,unless modified, will not allow that operation on 60.

FWIW:

'listening up 5" for instance) is not legal for US Amateurs.

the rules clearly state that you must TX only on certain channel center frequencies.
the only way to legally operate split on 60 is to tx on one CHANNEL and listen on a different CHANNEL.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:20:04 PM by ND6M » Logged
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »

FWIW:

the rules clearly state that you must TX only on certain channel center frequencies.
the only way to legally operate split on 60 is to tx on one CHANNEL and listen on a different CHANNEL.

So you even aren't allowed to listen to the frequencies outside the different channels either?

Mostly (low power) digi contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
www.on5mf.be
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »

FWIW:

So you even aren't allowed to listen to the frequencies outside the different channels either?

There are no FCC rules and regs prohibiting listening anywhere....am talking about split operation where say I am listening to 5.352 as well....and the dx says they are txing on 5405.....if I want to work him, I am under the impression that I would have to listen on VFO A and manually hit the button for the 60 meter function to transmit.....that really kind of sucks......can someone verify that?....

V
K3NRX
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »

Don't forget that our use of 60M is secondary.  If you are going to operate split, you need to be listening on your TX freq to make sure it is not occupied by a primary user.  On 40SSB when operating split, I notice that stations will set their TX at whatever 'up' the DX requests and call without too much regard for whoever else is there.
Art
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: