The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever come across some old SWBC logs of yours?  (Read 3761 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »

I was cleaning out a drawer in my desk last night due to it overflowing with junk, and at the bottom I found an old spiral notebook with an undated tune-across log for 31m. I've had the desk since 2005, and I think the last PWBR I bought was 2006, so it's likely the log was from 2006 or so. It was headed "1145-1230" (UTC) and had a couple pages of listings. Radio Australia was prominent, 9745, 9560 (this freq mixing with CNR Xinjiang out of Urumqi), 9580. The really sad part was the Latinoamerican stations; Radio Fides in Bolivia on 9625, two Brazilians right next to each other on 9675 (Radio Cancao Nova) and 9695 (Radio Rio Mar); University Network in Costa Rica on 9725. Almost all of the Latino SW outlets are gone now, since most people live in cities instead of the jungles and "chacos". Radio Korea from Sackville on 9650, Sackville being yet another casualty of the winding down of SW. A couple SE Asian outlets; Voice of Indonesia from Java on 9525 and Voice of Malaysia on 9750. It seems that everything I just listed is gone now. There really isn't any diversity left on SW anymore, and much of it is likely due to humans around the globe giving up farming for life in cities, where they can more easily be served by FM.  Cry Cry
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »

Asia, my man -- Asia..... You gotta listen for Asia now. There still is plenty of activity there.

Aside from the jamming, there are some stations that play music, Vividh Bharati and Radio Nikkei being two of the biggest ones for music. NHK World Radio's services to other countries in Asia also play a lot of music, too. Even if you can't understand the languages, the programming is often interesting enough without knowing them.

I heard some J-pop/heavy metal on R. Nikkei last Friday night that was reeeealllly interesting to hear.

I agree that a lot has left the airwaves since the early 2000's. I remember when the 21 meter band was more or less packed. So was the 19 meter band. Even as late as 4 or 5 years ago activity was slim on those bands. So it's the lower bands, and Asia, which are my targets anymore on SW for the most part.

I found some of my old logs back in 2011. A7XD (Qatar) getting a pileup in the early 80's sometime (?) on 15 meters -- I still remember that one. I used to DX the ham bands almost as much as the SW bands.
FLYBYNITE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:39:57 PM »

I too have a few spiral notebooks and even some scratch paper I've listed  my "catches" on. If I concentrate mentally for a while I'll remember some- Oh! When was that amazing auroral event we had, was it 2005? or earlier? darn.. anyway it was the sole night I was able to receive Medi1 on 9580kHz in my location SW USA. I should dig those out, but it would probably depress me, considering most of them are extinct now. Radio Aus was ALWAYS receivable for me, so was RNZI. Some of my videos me using a Grundig Satellit750 are still on the Facebook page "Shortwave Radio Listeners". I no longer admin for that page, it got tedious. But, if you want some nostalgia, check it out and see the vids. I have a few EAMs and other things on there as well. I'm not a facebooker anymore so don't look for me, sorry.

But yes, I still have my notebooks lying around in a pile in my radio room. Those ARE fun to look back on!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »

Yep!  When I was 7 years old listening to Radio Australia on a 1 tube shortwave receiver built from a Lafayette Radio project kit!  I even taped it on an old Wollensak reel to reel!!    Smiley
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:29:59 AM »

In my desk drawer is an SWL log from the late 70s. In a shoebox in my attic are dozens upon dozens of QSL cards I received from the SWBC stations which I heard, logged and forwarded signal reports.

I'd bet a good percentage of my shack equipment that an even higher percentage of those stations are QRT, and have been for a long time.

This doesn't even begin to scratch the myriad utes I logged, many of which are no longer found on HF.

Of course, radio changes...evolves. There's always SOMETHING to listen to. Pirates, clandestines, paras, freebanders, spectrum re-purposing...Nature abhors a vacuum and what's considered a radio wasteland today will eventually be populated by another service.

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »

I should've kept the letter I got from the BBC saying that they don't confirm reception reports from US listeners anymore...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: